McDermott in early COY discussion

YoloinOhio

Sean McDermott, Bills

Buffalo’s quest to go 4-0 was derailed by the Patriots, but the Bills still have a clear path to the playoffs in a top-heavy AFC. McDermott has coached up a smothering defense that held Tom Brady to one of the worst performances of his career and currently ranks second in the league in yards allowed.

McDermott has turned young players like Tre’Davious White and Tremaine Edmunds into blossoming stars, and rookie Ed Oliver — tied for third among all defensive tackles with seven QB hits so far — could be next. Developing another rising athlete would make the third-year head coach one of the game’s most valuable influences. Josh Allen has alternated good performances with bad ones to kick off his sophomore season in the NFL. If he can find any kind of stability behind center, he can turn the Bills into a true threat in the AFC.Buffalo has a very forgiving schedule coming up, with six games remaining against teams that have one win or fewer after four weeks. While catching New England may be a tough task, it’s not hard to see how the Bills would earn their second postseason invite in three years. Pushing one of the league’s most downtrodden franchises to the playoffs, especially with a quarterback advanced stats absolutely hate, is prime coach of the year resume material.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Shurmur? :lol: Gtfoh. They won a game because the Bucs kicker missed an EASY FG attempt. The other win was against Washington. That 2-2 is surely COY worthy right now. :rolleyes:

But the Bills had to come back to beat the Jets and Bengals, and almost let a game against the Giants slip away. I wouldn't dismiss other teams wins against bad teams when Buffalo hasn't beaten anyone with a winning record yet.

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I read Sean was on the hot seat this year?.

if the Bills finish with double digit wins and host a playoff game, how could he not get the nod? 

Hosting a playoff game might be just out of reach, though. 

i'll toss this in here....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27751910/nfl-quarter-season-awards-barnwell-picks-mvp-best-rookies-more

2. Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

I've gushed about the Bills' defense repeatedly in recent weeks, and the duo of McDermott and defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier deserves tons of credit for molding a defense without big names into arguably the league's best.

The Bills didn't come up with a victory over the Patriots in Week 4, but they were the most competitive team against New England this season by a significant margin. They're 3-1 with 36-year-old Frank Gore as their primary offensive weapon, with the future Hall of Famer responsible for more than 30% of the touches on offense.

Even after last weekend's loss to the Patriots, the Bills have a 54.1% chance of making it back to the postseason for the second time in three years under McDermott, according to the ESPN Football Power Index (FPI). I have big-picture concerns about second-year quarterback Josh Allen, but the Bills have built a good enough team to win without competent quarterback play

4 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

If the Bills make the playoffs, then McDermott wins. The inspired effort against New England is in his favor...that would be the center piece.

or the win in Foxboro later this year.....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Although it would be cool for the rest of the season to pan out how we hope and McDermott win the award... it would actually be 3 consecutive years of excellence that were required for Mcdermott to win the award.

17 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27751910/nfl-quarter-season-awards-barnwell-picks-mvp-best-rookies-more

I've gushed about the Bills' defense repeatedly in recent weeks, and the duo of McDermott and defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier deserves tons of credit for molding a defense without big names into arguably the league's best.

The Bills didn't come up with a victory over the Patriots in Week 4, but they were the most competitive team against New England this season by a significant margin. They're 3-1 with 36-year-old Frank Gore as their primary offensive weapon, with the future Hall of Famer responsible for more than 30% of the touches on offense.

Even after last weekend's loss to the Patriots, the Bills have a 54.1% chance of making it back to the postseason for the second time in three years under McDermott, according to the ESPN Football Power Index (FPI). I have big-picture concerns about second-year quarterback Josh Allen, but the Bills have built a good enough team to win without competent quarterback play

Foxboro definately seals it!

18 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So do we like Barnwell now?  When he Said critical about the Bills a few weeks ago, posters stated making fun of his appearance and saying he was an idiot.

27 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Great, another similarity to Jauron...

Honestly, and it won’t be popular, but Jauron wasn’t a bad coach.   Look at those rosters. It’s a miracle they won 7 games.  His teams always played hard. The biggest problem is he never had a franchise qb.  If Allen is the guy, SM will be a good coach for awhile.  

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So do we like Barnwell now?  When he Said critical about the Bills a few weeks ago, posters stated making fun of his appearance and saying he was an idiot.

right on cue.... this is soooo your "thing". why do you always do this? you realize you routinely do this right? its so played out.

i couldn't care less about barnwell. it pertained to the thread and i had saw it this morning. in fact i cared so little that when i saw it i didn't even bother making a thread over it or sharing it until hours later when i saw somebody else took the time to do so.

… seriously. why is it your thing to always chime in with the same played out remark in these media write ups. its so lame

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think anyone is unhappy with McDermott at the moment.  Both him and Beane appear to have turned around a franchise that was in a pretty bad place after Rex Ryan's exit.  Beane's drafting has been excellent thus far and McD has done a great job of working with the players that he's been given.  

Also, to say that Buffalo has no "big names" on the defense is unfair.  They aren't big names because they play in Buffalo.  Tre White has "star" written all over him, but he plays in Buffalo so there isn't as much recognition as there would be elsewhere

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

right on cue.... this is soooo your "thing". why do you always do this? you realize you routinely do this right? its so played out.

i couldn't care less about barnwell. it pertained to the thread and i had saw it this morning. in fact i cared so little that when i saw it i didn't even bother making a thread over it or sharing it until i saw somebody else took the time to do so.

… seriously. why is it your thing to always chime in with the same played out remark in these media write ups. its so lame

Why is it your thing to follow me around?  I honestly have no idea who you are.

and yup, I hate hypocrites and it shows how objective some fans are.   Writer says something bad about the Bills, attack them.  Writer says something good, they are smart.  

1 minute ago, berg1029 said:

I don't think anyone is unhappy with McDermott at the moment.  Both him and Beane appear to have turned around a franchise that was in a pretty bad place after Rex Ryan's exit.  Beane's drafting has been excellent thus far and McD has done a great job of working with the players that he's been given.  

Also, to say that Buffalo has no "big names" on the defense is unfair.  They aren't big names because they play in Buffalo.  Tre White has "star" written all over him, but he plays in Buffalo so there isn't as much recognition as there would be elsewhere

This has not been a normal and easy rebuild either. This team has an entire new face without the usual holdovers from a prior regime. Without sounding like too much of a Beane/McDermott apologist, this stuff does take time and manpower is not always readily available when you want it.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why is it your thing to follow me around?  I honestly have no idea who you are.

and yup, I hate hypocrites and it shows how objective some fans are.   Writer says something bad about the Bills, attack them.  Writer says something good, they are smart.  

what a douchey comment. its freaking message board dude. there are regulars and there is a front page where everyone responds... its easy to spot you in every single freaking media writeup thread saying the same regurgitated crap that you just said. 

good talk, Bruh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1