Expand Baseball Playoffs...

LabattBlue

11 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

'92 Braves-Pirates was another good one. 

I felt so bad for Jim Leyland.  The Pirates were such a good team and had it just ripped away from them.  Then they nuked the team and haven’t sniffed a WS since.

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I felt so bad for Jim Leyland.  The Pirates were such a good team and had it just ripped away from them.  Then they nuked the team and haven’t sniffed a WS since.

Always liked Leyland. And unless I'm mistaken former Pirate Sid Bream - who was as slow as it gets - scored the winning run.

going for the quadruple-header today, watched all 4 so far...

nice to have MLB Network for free during this round, with the Yankees solely on this network they'd BETTER do this for me....

If you remember, almost every year for about three or four years, they had at least one single game tiebreaker that counted as regular season anyway. I really think of the Wild Card game as a playoff game, so much as one game to determine who really is the WC team and gets to play in the playoffs. 

no memories of much beyond the World Series clashes, too many games to recall

wild card weekend in the NFL is usually forgotten by the DIvisional Weekend, so are all the bowl games i watched

39 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I saw someone mention last year (I think it was John Smoltz) that they should consider going to some sort of Split-Season format.  

i wasn't thrilled with 1981, even as a Dodgers fan back then

21 hours ago, KD in CA said:

More like 5,000 Yankee fans cheering for the Rays in the hopes they can miraculously avoid Houston in the ALCS.

Plus, no more chance for a dirt infield during Raiders games.  :(

early 70s Oakland was the dynasty for my first baseball years, those uniforms were the gaudiest and the greatest, and they were a bunch of arrogant jerks to be hated or appreciated.

it was mentioned how it was the friendliest backdrop for batters with the dark green fence

and site of many cherished NFL contests, not too many of recent vintage though.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:02 PM, KD in CA said:

Nope, sorry.

I wanted the A's and Brewers to win too, but that doesn't change the fact that out of all the bad things baseball has done in recent years, the one GOOD thing is the Wild Card game.   If you can't win your five team division, you do not deserve any better than a 50/50 shot to continue on in the playoffs.

If you don't like that, get rid of the second wildcard.  Or go back to having two divisions and no wild cards.   Slowly turning baseball playoffs into hockey or basketball is not the answer.

EXACTLY!!!  I love the setup now..............Division and wild card races are really fun.  (This year they didn't really develop, but other years have been great)  

On 10/3/2019 at 12:30 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

The seasons are too long.  If Reggie was playing now he'd be Mr Thanksgiving instead of Mr October.  I know, it's all about the money but look at the empty seats at most sporting events, NFL included.

I still waiting on global warming to give us 70 degree World Series games up North.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:39 PM, snafu said:

'86 ALCS (Red Sox-Angels) was almost as good.

And then the Series...

RIP Hendu. 

Edited by Uncle Joe

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, row_33 said:

letting teams slack off because of 2 WCs has hurt the value of early games.

again the 1980s AL East had seasons where practically every game mattered to the teams, one year the Jays were in first or tied for the first 160 games, then choked it all away

Do you have an example of this?  I don't think the WCs have encouraged teams to not try to win every game.  And every game is still important, even with the WCs.  From what I can see, teams don't exhale until home field advantage and matchups are confirmed. 

13 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I'd get rid of the second wild card and make all rounds best of 7. It may take away some  late season suspense, but it would improve the integrity of the game.

Or still have 2 wildcards but the WC team must play every first round game in the ballpark vs the team with the best record in the League.

More incentive for teams to make it to WC and for teams to get best record.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Do you have an example of this?  I don't think the WCs have encouraged teams to not try to win every game.  And every game is still important, even with the WCs.  From what I can see, teams don't exhale until home field advantage and matchups are confirmed. 

Teams want to win their divisions, so they definitely wouldn't be slacking off.  

I'm old school and just want the best record from the AL and NL to play in the World Series.  Get rid of the divisions and playoff rounds.  You have 162 games to prove you're the best in your league.  It will never fly in this day and age but as far as short term fixes I agree to get rid of that extra Wild Card team.  Three rounds best of seven.

18 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Only thing baseball needs to do with playoffs is make the 1 game a best of 3.

No.  The wild card game is so exciting, and there should be incentive to win your division and stay out of it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/3/2019 at 12:14 PM, May Day 10 said:

Wild card game is great IMO.   It also opens up a lot of cool scenarios of 1-off tiebreaker games.  

However, IMO, MLB and baseball need to change course.  They are losing fans, and the ones they do have are aging.  MLB also has a major 'tanking' problem, where many teams just let their bottom fall out if they arent going to compete to be in the top 5 in each league.  

If I was God of sports and could act on a whim (other than establishing a full-on promotion/relegation system), I would move toward decreasing the season to 140-ish games, increase the playoff field, and re-align the league (dont know, either 4 divisions or 8 divisions).  

16 teams make the playoffs and have all Best-Of-7 Series.  People almost unanimously love playoff baseball.  They don't like the Royals and Orioles in September (or even July). 

This season, assuming a 'conference' alignment, you would have:

Rangers vs Astros

Red Sox vs Yankees

Twins vs Indians

A's vs Rays

and

Cubs vs Dodgers

Braves vs Diamond Backs

Nationals vs Mets

Cardinals vs Brewers.

Thats a hell of a 1st round

Really???