Expand Baseball Playoffs...

LabattBlue

7 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Won't happen.  First, you would never get the owners to go for a shortened schedule.  And why seven?  Why not the pre-sixties standard of 154?  That said, however, owners would still balk at the idea.

I know it wont happen, but the owners (and players) should do stuff that may cost some short-term revenue (such as the Orioles selling $2 tickets in September)... in exchange for things that will make the league and sport appealing long-term into new generations.

I think and fear that baseball is heading toward the way of Horse Racing and Boxing within 50 years.

59 minutes ago, row_33 said:

what do you actually watch as a fan of the game?

I want to watch competitive baseball between good teams. What I don’t want to watch is teams playing in September as they close in on 100 losses. 

...and to other replies, 7 was just a number I threw out there as I was thinking about looping a “week” off the end of the season.  Could be 6, 8 or 10. 

Edited by LabattBlue

23 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I want to watch competitive baseball between good teams. What I don’t want to watch is teams playing in September as they close in on 100 losses. 

...and to other replies, 7 was just a number I threw out there as I was thinking about looping a “week” off the end of the season.  Could be 6, 8 or 10. 

the game needs more fans to actually sit there and watch or attend games.

i'm back in watching mode, watched the 2 WC games, will tape and watch the 2 today, try to get through the 4 tomorrow (that's pushing things...)

12 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The seasons are too long.  If Reggie was playing now he'd be Mr Thanksgiving instead of Mr October.  I know, it's all about the money but look at the empty seats at most sporting events, NFL included.

the startup of football season kills a lot of interest unless there is something highly compelling for your baseball team

the only year without a decent playoff race in the 7 team AL East was Detroit in 1984 starting off 35-5 and coasting in to a deserved World Series.

the Jays contending every year from 1983 to 1993 made it fun even with only one team making the playoffs.

my high school and undergrad years, every game is remembered as mattering and watched or listened to

52 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I know it wont happen, but the owners (and players) should do stuff that may cost some short-term revenue (such as the Orioles selling $2 tickets in September)... in exchange for things that will make the league and sport appealing long-term into new generations.

I think and fear that baseball is heading toward the way of Horse Racing and Boxing within 50 years.

The Orioles also let kids nine and under in free all year with a paid adult ticket and still finished near the bottom of MLB attendance.  

Bottom line: Winning cures all. 

20 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

The Orioles also let kids nine and under in free all year with a paid adult ticket and still finished near the bottom of MLB attendance.  

Bottom line: Winning cures all. 

Rays can't draw fans

3 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

For me, there will never be an NLCS that touches Mets-Astros '86.

The year before that, the Mets won 98 games and still lost the division. There was no participation trophy, and I was fine with that.

(Cue the "get off my lawn" meme guy in .... 3.... 2....1....)

'86 ALCS (Red Sox-Angels) was almost as good.

And then the Series...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, snafu said:

'86 ALCS (Red Sox-Angels) was almost as good.

And then the Series...

86 playoffs put to the test those eternal baseball questions about choking in big moments.

Gene Mauch choked worse than the Red Sox

the Red Sox choked games 6 and 7 away to the Mets

so everything was alright.

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Nope, sorry.

I wanted the A's and Brewers to win too, but that doesn't change the fact that out of all the bad things baseball has done in recent years, the one GOOD thing is the Wild Card game.   If you can't win your five team division, you do not deserve any better than a 50/50 shot to continue on in the playoffs.

If you don't like that, get rid of the second wildcard.  Or go back to having two divisions and no wild cards.   Slowly turning baseball playoffs into hockey or basketball is not the answer.

I'd actually like to see the NHL have win-or-go-home tournaments among all the non-playoff qualifiers(even the Sabres!) for each conference with the 2 winners getting the last playoff bids.   

Would give them a good excuse to expand to 32 and if you can win "game 7's" just to get to the playoffs then nobody should care if you had a poor regular season.

Too many reasons to tank in pro sports and not enough intrigue in seasons for the fanbase of moribund franchises like the Sabres.   

(My math is off you end up with 18 playoff teams that way but you get my drift........even the poor teams get a lottery ticket)

Edited by BADOLBILZ

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Two changes I'd like to see, neither of which I think has any chance of happening:

-  eliminate more post-season off days.  They play 162 games with a five man rotation and then all of the post season travel days allow teams to shorten the rotation. 

- East Coast bias here, but start the night games earlier.

Absolutely on the first one

Absolutely No flippin' way on the second one*   I'm still at work when the games start as it is!!!

* edited since I moved from east to west coast

• Like (+1) 1

sad that Tampa won, Oakland's uniforms and stadium is a million times better, as well get the west coast time feed into scheduling

now we have this circus joke of a stadium and 5,000 bandwagon fans with cowbells?

30 minutes ago, row_33 said:

sad that Tampa won, Oakland's uniforms and stadium is a million times better, as well get the west coast time feed into scheduling

now we have this circus joke of a stadium and 5,000 bandwagon fans with cowbells?

More like 5,000 Yankee fans cheering for the Rays in the hopes they can miraculously avoid Houston in the ALCS.

Plus, no more chance for a dirt infield during Raiders games.  :(

42 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Absolutely on the first one

Absolutely No flippin' way on the second one*   I'm still at work when the games start as it is!!!

* edited since I moved from east to west coast

Yeah, I get it. Years ago I was on the left coast on a football Sunday and it was bizarre to have games starting at 10 AM. 

I used to hate the late starts because my kids couldn't stay up for the late innings - now t's because I have a hard time staying awake.

With regard to the OP, you nailed it early in this thread.