Expand Baseball Playoffs...

LabattBlue

8 hours ago, bbb said:

Teams want to win their divisions, so they definitely wouldn't be slacking off.  

With the WC option a legit contender can sit back and see how things play out, they don’t mind losing the division title because the WC option bails them out

in Toronto they pretend to be a playoff contender even though 10 under .500 in July

you now have billionaire TV rights tyrants running away with it and a few teams honestly seeking the rest of the spots

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Nah. Yankee haters will cry that more teams fall victim to Planet Earths Team. 1 WS title every 4 years over the past century is enough for now. 

Btw, #28 right around the corner.

the Yankees.... yeah they were vital in the prior century...

On 10/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, Golden Goat said:

For me, there will never be an NLCS that touches Mets-Astros '86.

The year before that, the Mets won 98 games and still lost the division. There was no participation trophy, and I was fine with that.

(Cue the "get off my lawn" meme guy in .... 3.... 2....1....)

How about the 1993 NL West race?

Both Braves & Giants won over 100 games but only one team made the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

In the AL two divisions were practically over by July 1st.

that was exciting

and divisions where the best teams are barely mediocre can pretend to have an exciting time finding out who sucks least

I’m not in favor of any MLB expansion of the playoffs, and as a Pirates fan, that’s about the only way to see them make it anywhere, but I’m still not in favor.

Expanding the wildcard round would also wreak havoc on the winner’s rotation and bullpen for the divisional round. It’s a major disadvantage already but that would really add to it.

Edited by eanyills

On October 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM, row_33 said:

86 playoffs put to the test those eternal baseball questions about choking in big moments.

Gene Mauch choked worse than the Red Sox

the Red Sox choked games 6 and 7 away to the Mets

so everything was alright.

Not for Donnie Moore.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, row_33 said:

With the WC option a legit contender can sit back and see how things play out, they don’t mind losing the division title because the WC option bails them out

No way do teams not mind losing the division.  They don't want to play a one game winner take all

8 hours ago, bbb said:

No way do teams not mind losing the division.  They don't want to play a one game winner take all

three divisions were over for the regular season before all the fans settled into their seats, all 3 with 4 Brinks trucks each backing in when the median is 1.25 per team

I’m an AL East territory fan, that is a cutthroat situation of $$$ and bandbox stadiums and the severe power game, almost a slo-pitch league

I would have a very different view if the Jays were in the AL Central or NL

You fans on here with the NL East and Central perspective don’t have a clue what it’s like in the AL East or how it curdles and addles when your team doesn’t have a hope for the next decade

1/3 of the Os and Jays season is played against the Yankees/RedSox/Rays

no other division has anything close to that for imbalance against teams like this

Edited by row_33

On 10/3/2019 at 3:50 PM, Golden Goat said:

****ing Beltran. Not that I'm bitter.

I am a lifelong Mets fan but also had extra incentive that year to route on the Mets.  I put a futures bet at Harrah's in March for the Mets to make it to the World Series.  Put in $150 bet at 8-1 odds which would of paid a cool $1,200.  To this day I can't believe beltran struck out looking down a run with the bases loaded from that curve ball from Wainright to end the game.  Unbelievable.  

On 10/6/2019 at 2:47 AM, CIrvine said:

Not for Donnie Moore.

currently in a cards and dice sim replay and the 79 Cubs (and thereabouts) bullpen had

Donnie Moore

Bill Caudill

Lee Smith

Bruce Sutter

WIllie Hernandez

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

currently in a cards and dice sim replay and the 79 Cubs (and thereabouts) bullpen had

Donnie Moore

Bill Caudill

Lee Smith

Bruce Sutter

WIllie Hernandez

Who was the '7th inning guy'?

16 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Who was the '7th inning guy'?

Sutter closed, Tidrow got a lot of work but isn't remembered in that gallery of greats...

the only setup man of that era that i can recall was Ron Davis for the Yankees, Goose finished it off.

Edited by row_33

4 hours ago, Gordio said:

I am a lifelong Mets fan but also had extra incentive that year to route on the Mets.  I put a futures bet at Harrah's in March for the Mets to make it to the World Series.  Put in $150 bet at 8-1 odds which would of paid a cool $1,200.  To this day I can't believe beltran struck out looking down a run with the bases loaded from that curve ball from Wainright to end the game.  Unbelievable.  

This was a real life Casey at the Bat  

• Like (+1) 1

warning Houston fans in my life to be ready for the cheapest most BS home rules situations to occur in the circus tent the Rays play in

every series with the Jays causes something unfathomable

the already short wall in left had a hole cut in it to accommodate TV cameras and a Ray lined a homer right into the hole on a walkoff a few years ago....

Playoff Tournaments are the best, when they are 1 month long. NCAA Basketball Tournament, NFL Playoffs, Baseball Playoffs, World Cup of Soccer. I wish Hockey and Basketball would lower their playoff teams, or shorten early round series, so its only 5 or 6 weeks, instead of 8 or 9.

59 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Playoff Tournaments are the best, when they are 1 month long. NCAA Basketball Tournament, NFL Playoffs, Baseball Playoffs, World Cup of Soccer. I wish Hockey and Basketball would lower their playoff teams, or shorten early round series, so its only 5 or 6 weeks, instead of 8 or 9.

hockey thrives on the months of playoff beard-growing

NCAA hoops is the worst for zero context for fans, nobody knows the players or their tendencies unless they've watched the team as a fan all through the year, and the best players are one-and-done

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

hockey thrives on the months of playoff beard-growing

NCAA hoops is the worst for zero context for fans, nobody knows the players or their tendencies unless they've watched the team as a fan all through the year, and the best players are one-and-done

That's my point, these month long tournaments, tons of fans who don't normally tune in to the sport, watch it for the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

That's my point, these month long tournaments, tons of fans who don't normally tune in to the sport, watch it for the playoffs.

but you said you wanted hockey shorter, the playoffs aren't long enough for hockey fans, should go to July