Progression from Good to Elite Defense

Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'll say the communication on the back end has been the best I can recall from a Bills defense in modern times.

Hyde is looking amazing. When he had the slot corner switch sides and end up with the sack was a thing of beauty against the Bengals.

How else can I say it. They look like and play like a cohesive, disciplined and professional unit.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I fairly certain they are top 5 in turnovers. They are #2 in yds... take away the 16 non-offensive points scored against them and they are allowing 11 a game. That’s just nasty. Tops in 3 and outs. 

If the defense finishes top 3 in yds and points allowed like it very well could how isn’t that elite? You seem more worried about the style in which they get there. 

The chiefs led the NFL in sacks last year and their defense was an open wound. 

I give no cares how they get there. If they surrender top 3 yardage and top 3 points allowed(the #1 standard of a D), I have no idea how they cannot be considered with the elite d’s... and again. They are among the tops on the league in turnovers 

i saw you talking about imposing your will on an offense earlier.... holding the arguably the best team in the nfl, that has been average 30 a game, to 9 offensive points and 225 yds isn’t imposing your will? You need to see a sack or 2 there to make that claim? I don’t get it 

They stymied Brady last year as well so I think McD has done a really good job mixing up coverage against him. They've also faced Darnold, Eli, and Dalton with a horrible line.

Nobody in their right mind is arguing that the defense is not very good; as I said; top 5 right now. What I'm saying is that they could be DOMINANT with that one missing piece. You add a big time play maker on the edge and all of a sudden, you'd see more pressures, sacks and game changing turnovers.

I want to see how they handle....I typed this, looked at the schedule, and realized we really don't face a daunting QB list this season. Dak and Wentz will be pretty good tests I suppose. 

Most of the players on D are going to be playing for quite a while.  Lorax will probably not and he's pretty darned important, but the Bills are trying to develop replacements.

The one I'm worried about losing isn't a player, it's Frazier.  D Coordinators as good as him get HC job offers.

20 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

They stymied Brady last year as well so I think McD has done a really good job mixing up coverage against him. They've also faced Darnold, Eli, and Dalton with a horrible line.

Nobody in their right mind is arguing that the defense is not very good; as I said; top 5 right now. What I'm saying is that they could be DOMINANT with that one missing piece. You add a big time play maker on the edge and all of a sudden, you'd see more pressures, sacks and game changing turnovers.

I want to see how they handle....I typed this, looked at the schedule, and realized we really don't face a daunting QB list this season. Dak and Wentz will be pretty good tests I suppose. 

Fair points. I would say that would have the potential to make this defense “generational”. I think they are already a top 3 unit so far this year. I would also argue the best defense in orchard park Sunday wasn’t the one that was getting all the sacks. The bills held the pats to 150 less yds and 1 less offensive point facing a much more productive offense than what the pats d was facing...

but somehow the pats d is historically elite and Bradys crap play was just because of an “off” day. I’m flummoxed on that deal. 

The bills wasnt nearly as flashy but the proof is in the raw numbers. 

EDIT: with the addition of a pass rusher “generational” is a bit aggressive. But best in the NFL? Highly possible. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Good football insight, but it doesn't change the fact that our edge rushers are not great as a unit and that's where a large percentage of sacks/pressures/TURNOVERS emanate from.

Bills are top 5 in turnovers. They have been getting pressure, just not sacks.

I need to see a drastic improvement in red zone defense before calling them elite. After 4 games, they are close to dead last in the NFL in this category (defined as % of drives in red zone that end up as TD's). Last season, they were also close to dead last as well. This needs to change. Elite defenses don't choke like this.

8 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

I need to see a drastic improvement in red zone defense before calling them elite. After 4 games, they are close to dead last in the NFL in this category (defined as % of drives in red zone that end up as TD's). Last season, they were also close to dead last as well. This needs to change. Elite defenses don't choke like this.

The only point statistic that matters is PPG

If the other team only gets into the redone twice a game, and they score once I'll take that every day and twice in Sunday because that means the defense probably didn't get up over 16 points

But statistically it's bad..  it's more than just numbers it's context

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

And they are going to need an elite passrusher to get to elite status.  

No, they don’t.  They are elite now, as is NE, who also lack an elite pass rusher.  (I would argue that Hughes is damn close to elite, in any event.). Have you not watched the past 4 games?  

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Good football insight, but it doesn't change the fact that our edge rushers are not great as a unit and that's where a large percentage of sacks/pressures/TURNOVERS emanate from.

Except that this defense gets more than it’s share of turnovers.  And it’s no accident.  

We don't really need a "elite" pass rusher, just one that can bring some pressure for himself from the edge, and with the "versatility" (that i don't think Clowney has) to play inside some downs. I will live to have one of the Philly guys.

6 minutes ago, poblano said:

We don't really need a "elite" pass rusher, just one that can bring some pressure for himself from the edge, and with the "versatility" (that i don't think Clowney has) to play inside some downs. I will live to have one of the Philly guys.

I think you're referring to Fletcher Cox, who is one of the best defensive lineman in the league, but almost exclusively a DT. Let's just hope Oliver starts to make more of an impact. Loved the pick and expect to see more going forward. Much different style than Cox, but the defense would certainly benefit from EO's emergence.

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

No, they don’t.  They are elite now, as is NE, who also lack an elite pass rusher.  (I would argue that Hughes is damn close to elite, in any event.). Have you not watched the past 4 games?  

Except that this defense gets more than it’s share of turnovers.  And it’s no accident.  

We'll see how long that lasts.

40 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think you're referring to Fletcher Cox, who is one of the best defensive lineman in the league, but almost exclusively a DT. Let's just hope Oliver starts to make more of an impact. Loved the pick and expect to see more going forward. Much different style than Cox, but the defense would certainly benefit from EO's emergence.

Cox is close to elite level, so no, I'm taking of Curry, Graham and Barnett, none of them is considered elite level, but together bring enough pressure

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

This is year 3 of McDermott and the third year in his and Leslie Frazier's defense..

The transformations that have taken place from an opportunistic yet simple cover 3/2 defense in year 1  .... To a well oiled machine that is stingy , disciplined, and creative 

McDermott and Frazier are clearly able to create a Defensive gameplan worthy of the 21st century.. and it's a credit to not only them but keeping the same , good players in tact for 3 seasons

The communication from the secondary through the LBr unit is second to none and Micah is constantly setting up players for success through his film study and preparation

The continuity of the secondary and LBr unit has allowed McDermott and Frazier the ability to call plays they haven't in years past

No longer are the days of McDermott and Frazier running a standard cover 3/2 defense that needed turnovers to thrive

They are dialing it up.. Now I need to  give some credit to Frazier because he is calling the plays... Frazier is dialing it up

Combo coverages, traps, bluffs, Cover 1 press, Simulating Dual A Gap pressure on 3rd downs! My heavens!

The ability for our defense to run these traps AND DICTATE where the ball will be thrown is huge... Simulating Dual A Gap pressure continually on 3rd down and bringing it occasionally IS A NIGHTMARE ON A QB

Timing , rhythm and internal clock are all thrown off and you start to rush decisions.. and then you make a mistake

McDermott and Frazier have taken their lumps through the first 2 seasons but through trial , error and dedication to their craft have built a defense that we all should be proud of and that the NFL will be forced to take notice of

And what makes it even better is it looks like all/most of the pieces will be here for a while

Cant wait for year three of the offense.

Got to say i haven't heard the term 3/2 defense, what is it exactly?

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I think it refers to a combination of cover 3-cover2( not 3/2)

• Like (+1) 1

My brother who happens to be a falcons fan will say that he knows the defense that are in because they never disguise their coverage. So we will show one look pre snap then switch to a different one post snap. Keep mariota in the pocket and blitz occasionally. I think Josh Allen plays but if not we should still be capable enough to score more than they should. Especially if singletary plays.

47 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

33 minutes ago, poblano said:

I think it refers to a combination of cover 3-cover2( not 3/2)

Yes I just tried shortening saying McDermott primarily ran a  cover 3 and cover 2 defense

22 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

My brother who happens to be a falcons fan will say that he knows the defense that are in because they never disguise their coverage. So we will show one look pre snap then switch to a different one post snap. Keep mariota in the pocket and blitz occasionally. I think Josh Allen plays but if not we should still be capable enough to score more than they should. Especially if singletary plays.

Yes. McDermott and Frazier have been excellent at disguising their coverages this season. Showing one look and actually doing something completely different post snap

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yes, but they also have been investing their high picks on that side of the ball, at the expense of other opportunities (rhymes with LaPomes).

And they are going to need an elite passrusher to get to elite status.  Clooney would’ve been a real difference-maker here.

George or Rosemary?

• Like (+1) 1

Poyer and Hyde have also been given the freedom to "freelance" on certain plays given their own interpretation of what the offense is going to do, based on their film study. So if an offense is looking for tendencies from our safeties given certain looks, they arent seeing them because its a spur of the moment decision. Its been quite incredible actually. So these players themselves are due a lot of the credit as well as the coaching staff. It's hard to prepare for a defense that is quite literally changing pre play. 

(this is from Micah's and Leslie's own mouths for the record)

Edited by PaattMaann

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Bills have 7 sacks in 4 games , almost 2 a game...

No team averaged 4 sacks a game last season, and offenses know enough not to throw into the backend of our defense which will limit some Interceptions

If we keep forcing 3 and outs, and making teams fight for every yard , all the other things will come

to my earlier point ..  in 4 weeks we'll know if they maintain or excel in those areas.  I am not rushing into calling them elite just yet.