Progression from Good to Elite Defense

Buffalo716

This is year 3 of McDermott and the third year in his and Leslie Frazier's defense..

The transformations that have taken place from an opportunistic yet simple cover 3/2 defense in year 1  .... To a well oiled machine that is stingy , disciplined, and creative 

McDermott and Frazier are clearly able to create a Defensive gameplan worthy of the 21st century.. and it's a credit to not only them but keeping the same , good players in tact for 3 seasons

The communication from the secondary through the LBr unit is second to none and Micah is constantly setting up players for success through his film study and preparation

The continuity of the secondary and LBr unit has allowed McDermott and Frazier the ability to call plays they haven't in years past

No longer are the days of McDermott and Frazier running a standard cover 3/2 defense that needed turnovers to thrive

They are dialing it up.. Now I need to  give some credit to Frazier because he is calling the plays... Frazier is dialing it up

Combo coverages, traps, bluffs, Cover 1 press, Simulating Dual A Gap pressure on 3rd downs! My heavens!

The ability for our defense to run these traps AND DICTATE where the ball will be thrown is huge... Simulating Dual A Gap pressure continually on 3rd down and bringing it occasionally IS A NIGHTMARE ON A QB

Timing , rhythm and internal clock are all thrown off and you start to rush decisions.. and then you make a mistake

McDermott and Frazier have taken their lumps through the first 2 seasons but through trial , error and dedication to their craft have built a defense that we all should be proud of and that the NFL will be forced to take notice of

And what makes it even better is it looks like all/most of the pieces will be here for a while

• Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Continuity has been a huge factor in the success of the defense. Same coaches, same schemes, and many of the same players. Allows them to continue to install more and more and get more nuanced in their game plans. Allows them to make plays without having to think about the scheme or play call.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Continuity has been a huge factor in the success of the defense. Same coaches, same schemes, and many of the same players. Allows them to continue to install more and more and get more nuanced in their game plans. Allows them to make plays without having to think about the scheme or play call.

Exactly, most of the players are in year 3 of the system. Poyer , Hyde, Tre, Milano, Zo, Jerry, Shaq

Edmunds , Phillips , Levi, Star, Murphy, Taron all year 2

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I still think we need more sacks or more turnovers to be the best.  We are top 3 or 4 now...if we start getting to the QBs we could be number 1. 

I don't really care about sacks that much, but turnovers are huge. Getting pressure on the QB is important, but I'd actually prefer the QB to get the ball off under pressure because that's usually when a pick happens.

We've been great at batting down balls at the line, which is huge on 3rd down especially. But only one of those has been intercepted. You'd think we'd get more of those. Seems like almost all of our batted balls are intercepted.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

We went from good to damn good.  (After 4 games) 

top 10 in total yards, passing and rushing yards 

elite would be top 5 across the board IMO. 

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Not to off track this but this is really why I would like to see the bills taking a shot to complete the offense....

This defense is championship caliber right now....the offense is a work in progress

If made available improve the offense right now

This ^ 

2 years building the Defense now its the offenses turn.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

We went from good to damn good.  (After 4 games) 

top 10 in total yards, passing and rushing yards 

elite would be top 5 across the board IMO. 

We're top 5 in total yards per game, passing yards per game, points per game, and yards per play. 7th in rushing yards per game. This is an elite defense.

We're also 3rd in completion percentage allowed, 2nd in passing TD's allowed, 4th in takeaways, 4th in time of possession. Just elite all around.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

We're top 5 in total yards per game, passing yards per game, points per game, and yards per play. 7th in rushing yards per game. This is an elite defense.

We're also 3rd in completion percentage allowed, 2nd in passing TD's allowed, 4th in takeaways, 4th in time of possession. Just elite all around.

4 weeks. 

Against 3 bad teams and the Pats.  

Keep this going for the next 4 games and I’ll sway closer to calling them elite.  

Keep this going for the next next 4 games and I’ll start calling them elite.  

They need a Stud pass rusher who finishes plays and not complains about getting held.  If they could get that, this would be one of the best defenses in franchise history.  

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yes, but they also have been investing their high picks on that side of the ball, at the expense of other opportunities (rhymes with LaPomes).

And they are going to need an elite passrusher to get to elite status.  Clooney would’ve been a real difference-maker here.

I agree with all of this and definitely would have welcomed JC here, especially at that awful trade Seattle got him for.  But he’s not an elite pass rusher. He should be but he’s not. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

This is year 3 of McDermott and the third year in his and Leslie Frazier's defense..

The transformations that have taken place from an opportunistic yet simple cover 3/2 defense in year 1  .... To a well oiled machine that is stingy , disciplined, and creative 

McDermott and Frazier are clearly able to create a Defensive gameplan worthy of the 21st century.. and it's a credit to not only them but keeping the same , good players in tact for 3 seasons

The communication from the secondary through the LBr unit is second to none and Micah is constantly setting up players for success through his film study and preparation

The continuity of the secondary and LBr unit has allowed McDermott and Frazier the ability to call plays they haven't in years past

No longer are the days of McDermott and Frazier running a standard cover 3/2 defense that needed turnovers to thrive

They are dialing it up.. Now I need to  give some credit to Frazier because he is calling the plays... Frazier is dialing it up

Combo coverages, traps, bluffs, Cover 1 press, Simulating Dual A Gap pressure on 3rd downs! My heavens!

The ability for our defense to run these traps AND DICTATE where the ball will be thrown is huge... Simulating Dual A Gap pressure continually on 3rd down and bringing it occasionally IS A NIGHTMARE ON A QB

Timing , rhythm and internal clock are all thrown off and you start to rush decisions.. and then you make a mistake

McDermott and Frazier have taken their lumps through the first 2 seasons but through trial , error and dedication to their craft have built a defense that we all should be proud of and that the NFL will be forced to take notice of

And what makes it even better is it looks like all/most of the pieces will be here for a while

Great post! The combination of continuity, and great communication between the secondary and linebackers is HUGE!

Obviously the talent is there too, but having 2 high quality safeties can not be stressed enough and a staple of many great  NFL defenses over the past 10+ years.  Not sure if Micah or Jordan by themselves are worth a top 5 deal (close),  but together these guys work so well together and just have something that is a natural chemistry

• Like (+1) 1