Who has played football professionally, or tried out at that level?

My school did not have a football program when I was growing up. I was a swimmer, still am to some degree, and took up an obsession with big mountain skiing, well into my 30's. Thanks to the latter, I now have the knees of an NFL veteran. 

Otherwise, I can't relate. I can't imagine what it's like to get hit full speed by an angry 320 lb. man, and to have him land on top of me with his full weight. That said, I have been caught in an avalanche before, and perhaps it's a similar feeling.

Also, while I have managed to maintain a high level of fitness most of my life, I can only imagine what my body would feel like if I was paid millions to max out its physical potential. 

Edited by skibum

53 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

I played QB in college in the Big Ten and was on an NFL practice squad for a few years and was called up a few times to an active roster. Was a fun life for a few years but very stressful and pro coaches are BIG TIME pricks for the most part lol 

I'm sure many here would love to hear more details of your experiences, if you were inclined to share them.  Fully understand if you're not.

• Like (+1) 3

Played in high school.

Not much call for 5'7" 150 lb DB who run 4.9 40s.

But playing organized football, even back in the last century, gave me a real appreciation for the game.

Years after high school, I was in a theater production, and remarked to the choreographer that the dance numbers were really a lot like football.  She looked at me like I was from Mars, but its true.  Offensive football, especially OL on running plays, is tightly choreographed.  If the Qb is a millisecond late on his reverse pivot and handoff, the pulling guard and RB collide.

Defense was a bit more fun.  You mostly try to destroy the choreography.

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

My son was an all-league linebacker in our suburban high school league.  He went to a D3 school with the intention of playing.  He blew out his knee his freshman year, and he also realized that he couldn’t play football and take hard classes at the same time.  Some kids can but he is not one of those kids.  

He quit football and got serious about school.  Everyone in the family thinks that blowing out his knee could have been a blessing in disguise.

He also said that the psychological and physical effects of his knee injury are still with him a decade later. He doesn’t understand how so many athletes bounce back from it the way they do.

Similar story to my son, played RG at a D3 collage, injured his hip in his sophomore year, went from weighing 255 down to 205 in about 4 months, I didn't realize how hard he had to work to keep his weight up. Concentrated on his studies, now hes a Physical Therapist assistant rehabing others. I'm glad he left football when he did.

• Like (+1) 1

Played through high school.  Was just okay.  Had a chance to walk on at my HBCU school, but walked away quickly after I had a fall out with the Head Coach.  Young and too full of false pride coupled with other opportunities I was involved in.  Looking back on it as a grown man, I just think how stupid I was.  Unfortunately, wisdom is usually hard earned.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I had two factors working against me.  My parents felt it was better to focus on academics rather than sports, so did not allow us to play sports, until my youngest brother was allowed to join the tennis team.  Perhaps more importantly, I had a developmental condition in my knees as an adolescent called Osgood-Schlatter disease.  It caused calcium deposits where tendons were attached to bones in both knees.  Whenever I did anything even mildly strenuous, my knees would stiffen up to where I had difficulty walking.  My doctor told me if I did anything too strenuous, I risked having a tendon snap off.  By the time that condition began to disappear, it was way too late to think about organized football.  I did cheat some and played in the schoolyard.

43 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Played in high school.

But playing organized football, even back in the last century, gave me a real appreciation for the game.

Years after high school, I was in a theater production, and remarked to the choreographer that the dance numbers were really a lot like football.  She looked at me like I was from Mars, but its true.  Offensive football, especially OL on running plays, is tightly choreographed.  If the Qb is a millisecond late on his reverse pivot and handoff, the pulling guard and RB collide.

Sounds like Kenny Chesney

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Played and coached semi-pro soccer. Never played football. Thrown one about on the beach with pals but that is about it.  

I had a chance to play semi pro soccer but i decided it wasnt worth it due to constant nagging soft tissue injuries i dealt with my last 2 years of college...i felt a little like Andrew Luck lol

1 hour ago, skibum said:

My school did not have a football program when I was growing up. I was a swimmer, still am to some degree, and took up an obsession with big mountain skiing, well into my 30's. Thanks to the latter, I now have the knees of an NFL veteran. 

Otherwise, I can't relate. I can't imagine what it's like to get hit full speed by an angry 320 lb. man, and to have him land on top of me with his full weight. That said, I have been caught in an avalanche before, and perhaps it's a similar feeling.

Also, while I have managed to maintain a high level of fitness most of my life, I can only imagine what my body would feel like if I was paid millions to max out its physical potential. 

Well you aren't missing anything..

I have been hit by a few people who were 6'7 300+  and played a bit in the league ...

I can confirm it felt like I was run over by an avalanche .. if an avalanche wore cleats and stepped all over me after getting slammed

My parent wouldn’t let me play and I thank them for it.

I have friends in their 30s who’s knees are shot. Friends in their 40s who have ptsd so bad they think they still play. Friends in their 50s who have trouble getting out of bed. 

2 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Played in high school.

Tell me you hit that. Please, just tell me you got the choreographer. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I bet no one here has ever scored 4 TD's for Polk High in a single game though! :D

https://www.albundyquotes.com/blogs/news/183280839-best-moments-of-al-bundys-polk-high-pride

Ed O'Neill (Al) did try try out for the Steelers. The Bills did cut Superman ( Dean Cain) in training camp.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1