Who has played football professionally, or tried out at that level?

I was a "nose-guard"(nose tackle)  for  training camp/ up until a week before the season(made the team/made it through cuts) for the  semi pro Glens Falls Green Jackets here in upstate ny. I was doing well and at one point blew up double teams in 11 on 11 and "sacked the qb((tapped him out))" 5 times in a practice. Thats how I made the team hehe ?

During the last practice I pulled my groin and my hamstring trying to beat a double team again (my job every down) and between the bruising on my head from the impacts and my groin and hammy i called it quits( I was about 23 years old). I'm 6'1" and and was about 13% body fat at 280 lbs benching 300 lbs squating 350 and deadlifting 500 lbs for 3 reps raw( I was a power lifter/body builder who was called by the coachs assistant as a player knew me from the gym((prior nfl practice squad player/college coach))..........

Edited by BillsBlue
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

one of my members/workout partners here at my gym started 40 games for Kent st and got calls to be an UDFA but never pursued it. actually blocked for Edelman when he was qb…. he always offers me such good insight on the game. we've had some awesome convos about the "inside". haha.

where we heading, towards Flutie during his last days in town, when he was losing it, and at a presser told the media because they didn't play pro football so they had no right to say anything about him at all????

good times...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

great topic!   and for those who say "played in college," let us know where.  Anywhere is impressive! 

I played in middle school, had # 82 for Don Beebe.  Then did cross country and track in HS.  Sometimes wish I continued football.   

Oh, I don’t know..... My son could have played D-1, but after tearing his ACL/MCL, the stinger (that’s wicked, btw!), and breaking an arm (soccer), he decided to grow up and work towards starting his adult life. He enjoyed being the Big Man about school and town, but he made the right choice! He still has aches and pains.

I cannot IMAGINE what the guys who play 4 more years in college then a decade in the pros go thru! 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Oh, I don’t know..... My son could have played D-1, but after tearing his ACL/MCL, the stinger (that’s wicked, btw!), and breaking an arm (soccer), he decided to grow up and work towards starting his adult life. He enjoyed being the Big Man about school and town, but he made the right choice! He still has aches and pains.

I cannot IMAGINE what the guys who play 4 more years in college then a decade in the pros go thru! 

I think your son did make the right choice.  My son tore his ACL his senior year and had a offer from San Diego State.  He was crushed but rehabbed it and tried to walk on at Oregon....and was not successful...now he plays semi pro ball for a Oregon team and they have won 2 championships in a row he is a team captain and plays LB for them

This is all great....and I am very proud of him and love that he loves the game....but now I have a beatuiful young grandaughter from him and I really want him to  move on and close this chapter of his life.   He is a hard worker and is good at everything he does but he is also very stubborn.

I tell him now you have ppl counting on you and time to move on

• Like (+1) 3

My son was an all-league linebacker in our suburban high school league.  He went to a D3 school with the intention of playing.  He blew out his knee his freshman year, and he also realized that he couldn’t play football and take hard classes at the same time.  Some kids can but he is not one of those kids.  

He quit football and got serious about school.  Everyone in the family thinks that blowing out his knee could have been a blessing in disguise.

He also said that the psychological and physical effects of his knee injury are still with him a decade later. He doesn’t understand how so many athletes bounce back from it the way they do.

Edited by Gray Beard

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

You get paid? ;)

I have been getting sucked into buying tickets all these years ;)

Let me know your secret :)

Pro bono. I've already covered this. I'm the giving sort. It's for the children.

• Haha (+1) 2

I played all thru HS.  Went to a school that didn't have football.....boo!

Officiated HS football for 15 years - worked many games will Bill Schuster (NFL UMP #129) before he moved on and also officiated 5 years of DIII and DII. Worked many Semi Pro games. Was eye opening to see the differences between the "haves" and the " have nots".  Saw some real good talent in the Semi Pro's, just total total nut jobs so they weren't going to the big stage.

Close as I got....

• Like (+1) 1

Played through college.  If I had my mindset now, I think I could played some level after college (of course, everyone says that).  I think some people don’t realize is how much of a grind football is.  There are few things better than a football game.  One of the greatest feelings you can have.  But college football kinda sucked.  Your life is consumed by football.  There was no free time and I wasn’t even playing at Alabama (they don’t go to class there though haha).  

But it now I pay to go to a gym and just watch the games.  I have a few regrets but one of the biggest is I wish I cared about my own football career as much as I did about the Bills haha.

• Like (+1) 5