Who has played football professionally, or tried out at that level?

19 hours ago, Mango said:

Used to be pro in a different, MUCH LESS lucrative sport for a number of years.

Years later, working 9-5 in my 30’s, I wish my parents pushed me towards a sport that paid a whole lot better. The football paycheck equivalent of me in my sport would have set me for life. ?

Why not specify the sport???

This is a cool topic - wish more people would include the schools they played at.

Little OT but when I was in college a bunch of guys used to play basketball pickup games at the Boy's Club on breaks.  One day Don Majkowski came to play (he was in college also at the time).  I played against him in HS (he went to Depew I went to Lancaster) and he was a great athlete then, but holy crap he went next level once he got to college.  I'll never forget him throwing down dunks that day.  It's always a reminder to me what phenomenal athletes all those players are.

21 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

A few searches through the forums yielded no results, so I’ll start a new topic.  Who has played at a professional level, or tried out at that level?  Semi pro counts as well.  In the spirit of total disclosure, I never played higher than pick up street or playground football, and usually was among the last to be picked.  ?  Moderators, my apologies if this was better posted in ‘Off the Wall’.

I had a friend of mine who was one bad coach away from really making it as a pro QB...it's still a sore spot for him.  Sure, he never played in college, but you wouldn't have either if you wanted to put such adversity far in your rear view mirror.  Why would you settle on that sunset in your rear view mirror when you can focus on the sunrise right in front of your windshield?...which wouldn't be happening at the same time and is frankly impossibly, but I think this group is smart enough to get where I'm coming from.

We know his account is accurate as we all talk about it frequently.  It didn't stop him from being a success in life...but it may have killed some of his dreams.

He is haunted by waters...

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Always played backyard ball with friends and cousins and whatnot. One summer some buddies of mine had to cut our game short so they could go to actual practice at the school. I decided to join then (10th grade, I think?) and found out relatively quickly that an undersized asthmatic who didn't hit his growth spurt until after HS wasn't gonna make it when the pads came on. So instead I became stats guy/clipboard guy/video guy, and announcer guy because I enjoyed being around it. Claim to fame, I guess, would be my little rinky-dink HS played against the HS of Jehuu Caulcrick. He was on another level and would go on to play at Michigan State and then hung around on practice squads for the Jets, Bucs, and 49ers for a few years before famously getting one regular season carry with the Bills in 2010. If you're not sure who he is, look him up, real interesting life story.

My cousins both played QB in HS and then went on to different DIII schools to play, one continued as QB, the other was moved to TE. He played at Hobart which is where Ali Marpet, OG for the Bucs, played, but I don't think they overlapped. They have some interesting stories, though. The one who continued as a QB said he played with kids that definitely could've been DI and eventually pro but they instead wanted to party with friends more than play seriously which is why they ended up at a college in the middle of frickin' nowhere. Both of 'em had ACL/MCL tears. In fact, the younger on just had his surgically repaired this spring. 

My sport was bowling. If you can call that a sport. Won three division titles with my HS bowling team. What was cool is that my HS was super small so the different sports supported each other. Most of the football team came out to our title matches. 

I could always throw the ball really well (like 65 yards in the air with velocity at age ~14 etc), was pretty fast (never timed), but never played organized football.  I was a very good grade school track athlete but grew too fast one summer (like 6", ended up at 6ft even in 9th grade, which was't bad for the late 1980's) and my achilles tendons were never the same, I could not really sprint after that growth spurt without serious tendon pain.  Tried out for HS football, was the 2nd fastest on the team(all white dudes so there is that), but quit when the Dr told me about tendon issue and not to play HS football, it would save my knees.  I did all the stupid crap kids do plus more dangerous stuff being a weekend bull work warrior, never broke a bone, however physical physique and muscular prowess is just not in my genetics.  I tried bodybuilding for about 3 years eating nothing but chicken and broccoli, best shape I have ever been in is 190 lbs, 9% BF @ 6ft tall.  Football players are born, you HAVE to have the genetics, most of us simply do not.  Not only do you have to be a physical freak, you have to be made of iron and never get hurt. I'm glad I listed to the Dr and did not play HS football, I have some family members/coworkers who did and they have knee and hip replacements before age 60. The vast majority of humans simply cannot play this game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/2/2019 at 6:41 PM, jkeerie said:

What school?

University of Illinois 

On 10/2/2019 at 6:58 PM, qwksilver said:

Please post more often. We could use them.

I do occasionally. I played for university of Illinois in late 90s/early 2000s. Was on Atlanta’s practice squad for a few seasons. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, jkeerie said:

I went to Penn State and obviously follow the Big Ten.  I've probably seen you play.

Yea tough place to play at for sure. Could never ever hear the play calls was impossible. I played in late 90s/2000. Played on falcons for a few years 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mango said:

I rowed (crew) on the US National team for a few years, and lived at the Olympic Training Center. 

Crew is a B word! It’s not for pansies. Congrats on that hard work. I did it in HS for a bit. Worked my butt off and never saw the water. Turns out they had 3 times as many kids as seats, and I was one day away. Last kid out....oops! 

Lived in Sarasota, FL where they have a big international venue now. Very cool draw to the area. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Yea tough place to play at for sure. Could never ever hear the play calls was impossible. I played in late 90s/2000. Played on falcons for a few years 

Pleased to meet you Mr. K (If you are who I think you are you won the Big Ten, yes?)

• Like (+1) 1

I was acquainted with two former NFL players...one played in  3 Super Bowls, the other was a pro bowl linebacker. I knew them both from 2 different high schools in NYS. Later on I completed several marathons. I still run if I can get motivated.

8 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Pleased to meet you Mr. K (If you are who I think you are you won the Big Ten, yes?)

My name is Kurt. Yes we did win the Big Ten what a fun ride that was 

Just now, DBilz2500 said:

My name is Kurt. Yes we did win the Big Ten what a fun ride that was 

And the reason I’m on here and big Bills fan is because my aunt and cousins live in the Newfane/Lockport area and as kids we went up there every summer and occasional thanksgiving to visit. Been a HUGE fan since I was a youn kid. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Pleased to meet you Kurt!  Congrats on your Big Ten championship!  Not an easy feat.  What brought you to the Bill's forum?

Been a huge fan since I’m a young kid. Have lots of family up in that area and visited many many times as a kid.