Who has played football professionally, or tried out at that level?

Played street ball with adults as a kid and picked up nickname "Como". Was freshman on varsity team. It started in summer and it was suggested that I go out for junior high team and since practices started in summer I could not attend and school was 6 miles away I was told I would be given a chance.  On first padded practice we were doing blocking drills so he told us to go half speed and I hit guy opposite me knocking him back and flying.  "Damn Host I said half speed!" yelled the coach.  "That is half speed coach" I replied.  He then called one of the seniors who was starter last year and said "Repeat it again at full speed" with lots of laughing from older (all were) kids.  I did it and I leveled the starter.  Coach then said "Host has a new role. When you are not making full effort you do blocking drills with Host."  Only got to play in one scrimmage before I had a seizure (mislabeled as grand mal epilepsy) at home and was not able to do sports for rest of school or college.

• Like (+1) 2

Used to be pro in a different, MUCH LESS lucrative sport for a number of years.

Years later, working 9-5 in my 30’s, I wish my parents pushed me towards a sport that paid a whole lot better. The football paycheck equivalent of me in my sport would have set me for life. ?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Used to be pro in a different, MUCH LESS lucrative sport for a number of years.

Years later, working 9-5 in my 30’s, I wish my parents pushed me towards a sport that paid a whole lot better. The football paycheck equivalent of me in my sport would have set me for life. ?

Badminton just doesn’t have the TV contracts. You should have seen that coming! 

?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

great topic!   and for those who say "played in college," let us know where.  Anywhere is impressive! 

I played in middle school, had # 82 for Don Beebe.  Then did cross country and track in HS.  Sometimes wish I continued football.   

Rowan College in NJ Div 3 93 and 94 does that count? tore my acl left knee all she wrote for me. Love football coached for a bunch of years too

Edited by BeefCurtns
  • Like (+1) 2

I played QB in college in the Big Ten and was on an NFL practice squad for a few years and was called up a few times to an active roster. Was a fun life for a few years but very stressful and pro coaches are BIG TIME pricks for the most part lol 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

ONLY if you used teams other than the Raiders and could win regularly. That Bo Jackson character was IMPOSSIBLE to tackle.....

My usual (lately...and this is on Tecmo Super Bowl) is to sim until the playoffs and play as the team with the worst record without changing any of their plays.  Won Super Bowl with Atlanta today vs. Houston.  Still think this is the greatest game ever made.

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

I played QB in college in the Big Ten and was on an NFL practice squad for a few years and was called up a few times to an active roster. Was a fun life for a few years but very stressful and pro coaches are BIG TIME pricks for the most part lol 

What school?

Played through high school, and could have played d2 but too many concussions in high school.

Still play competitive flag football leagues, some decent ex D1 and nfl practice squad guys.  

Coaching wise, never had the time with my career but family has coached in the high school and college ranks

15 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Art Slichter?

• Haha (+1) 1

I have a step cousin who played in the NFL in the 60s and 70s and has an NCAA WR award named after him and in the NFL HOF. I also have a cousin through marriage who holds record of the longest FG in Super Bowl history.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I have a step cousin who played in the NFL in the 60s and 70s and had a NCAA WR award named after him. I also have a cousin through marriage who holds record of the longest FG in Super Bowl history.

He should've been our kicker for XXV instead of XXVIII

• Like (+1) 3

Could have tried out for Cornell while at college.  Didn't because in part playing college ball w/o a realistic endgame was a dead end.  A guy I knew that was on the team for a while said all the players who were there had a place to go that did not depend on graduating or playing ball.  In turn this meant they partied a fair amount.  Also, the Ivy League had a reputation for dirty players so a player took a lot more beating.  

28 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Please post more often. We could use them.

• Like (+1) 1