Josh Allen - Accuracy on the Long Ball

Maybe I am mis-remembering but wasn't that the only ball he was good at beginning of last year? What the hell happened to it and why is he overthrowing by 5 yards  while under-throwing it by a few as well. I have no explanation for this whatsoever but for this offense to click, he REALLY needs to keep teams honest and hit some of these....like how about one? Besides his amazing runs and the the throw he makes on the run from time to time, what throw can he actually make now?

This is not to bash the guy at all, I seriously want to know where that long-ball went....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

Maybe I am mis-remembering but wasn't that the only ball he was good at beginning of last year? What the hell happened to it and why is he overthrowing by 5 yards  while under-throwing it by a few as well. I have no explanation for this whatsoever but for this offense to click, he REALLY needs to keep teams honest and hit some of these....like how about one? Besides his amazing runs and the the throw he makes on the run from time to time, what throw can he actually make now?

This is not to bash the guy at all, I seriously want to know where that long-ball went....

Mechanics

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

Definitely been thinking the same thing.   It seemed like he was stepping into the long throws better last year.   I've noticed, especially against the Patriots he was drifting or running backwards while throwing the more low pct throws.  

Watching his throws he doesn't seem to be stepping into them like before. He is just kind of flinging them out there using all arm. I think once he is coached up on this or realizes it himself things will change. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think youre misremembering honestly. What deep ball did he ever hit on last year except for the Foster one against the Jags (which was still kind of a crossing route). The only deep ball I can remember hit completing was to Zay against the Chargers but that was 5-10 yards under thrown still.

IMO he has never been good at deep balls, people just want him to be because of his arm. But I could be mis-remembering too.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

i agree.

All i got is he spent so much time on the short game that he didn't practice going deep with the WRs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

Vs the pats his foot work was bad most of the deep throws cam off his back foot.  The jones throw right collapsed and he was not able to step into it. 

The majority of the bad throws in the first half were due to bad footwork

Yup. Although IMO one of them was intentional. They wanted him to keep backpedaling deep while the Patriots blitzed a few extra rushers and then just lob it deep against single coverage he just overthrew it while backpedaling. He could not have stopped, planted, and then threw even if he wanted to.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I’ve been having the same thoughts. I’ve suspected that they have spent so much time working on, and practicing the shorter throws, and plays that the long game has gone a bit by the wayside. I also suspect that it’s more a question of timing with his receivers than him losing the ability to throw long with accuracy. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I think there are several reasons.  Mechanics may be one of them, but the mechanics tend to degrade when he's feeling rushed.  Deep throws are easier on those rare occasions when the receiver is wide open.  There's a huge window and the receiver can make adjustments without fear of the DB causing problems.  When the coverage is tight, I think Josh, like many QBs like to err on the side of caution, putting the ball where, if the receiver can't get it, the defender can't either.  The result is an overthrow that nobody can catch.  This didn't happen on every throw, but it has happened several times this season.  Better pass protection will help, as will more separation by receivers.  Of course, Josh needs to make better reads too, as he has not seen open receivers on a number of occasions.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, jletha said:

I think youre misremembering honestly. What deep ball did he ever hit on last year except for the Foster one against the Jags (which was still kind of a crossing route). The only deep ball I can remember hit completing was to Zay against the Chargers but that was 5-10 yards under thrown still.

IMO he has never been good at deep balls, people just want him to be because of his arm. But I could be mis-remembering too.

Yup, it's never been good, though being o-fer at this point is still mildly surprising.