The Athletic: Ed Oliver on All-Rookie Team through first quarter of season

YoloinOhio

Interior defensive line

Ed Oliver, Buffalo Bills (1st round, No. 9 overall)

It has been a slow start for the rookie interior defensive line class. The New York Jets’ Quinnen Williams has missed the last two games with an injury and other first-rounders like the Miami Dolphins’ Christian Wilkins and the Los Angeles Chargers’ Jerry Tillery are off to slow starts. Although he wouldn’t be in the conversation for defensive rookie of the year right now, Oliver has been able to make an impact.

With only three pressures and five tackles, the production hasn’t necessarily been there yet for Oliver, but he has flashed the disruptive qualities that made him a top-10 pick. His quickness off the snap surprises interior blockers, either opening rush lanes or clogging up the run design. He is at his best as the aggressor, but tends to be late adjusting on the move and will take time as he transitions to NFL speed.

https://theathletic.com/1258756/2019/10/02/nfl-all-rookie-team-at-the-quarter-mark-of-2019-season/

Honorable mention: Devin Singletary (Miles Sanders selected), Dawson Knox (Hockenson selected) 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Cody Ford was also given an honorable mention.   

Giving us 4 draft picks including one as best in position.  Pretty good considering there's 32 teams.  They listed about 67 players (including special teams) so that's very close to an expected 2 draft picks per team and we're double that.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mark Long Beach said:

Cody Ford was also given an honorable mention.   

Giving us 4 draft picks including one as best in position.  Pretty good considering there's 32 teams.  They listed about 67 players (including special teams) so that's very close to an expected 2 draft picks per team and we're double that.

How? Ford's been a trainwreck

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Where's @JoshAllenHasBigHands to eat his crow!

Did I ever say I didn't like Ed Oliver? I might have, I definitely didn't think he was a guarantee, but it wasn't something I was so convinced of I was making a point of it on this board. But, I've had no complaints since the season started. 

21 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Did I ever say I didn't like Ed Oliver? I might have, I definitely didn't think he was a guarantee, but it wasn't something I was so convinced of I was making a point of it on this board. But, I've had no complaints since the season started. 

I'm just effing with you  I didn't know your take on Oliver...........a week ago you posted something in a pro-Oliver thread about me not liking the Oliver pick and Bandit and Gunner shot that take down for it's falsehood..........I guess you forgot.:lol: 

You are in a big hurry to try to prove me wrong about something when you don't even know my take.    You are pre-disposed to it.    You will find I rarely outright predict anything.

For the most part what's the point of that?

Truth is I have liked all 4 of Buffalo's first round picks under McDermott and have expressed that numerous times here on TSW but for some reason the fact that I am not willing to accept that someone isn't a finished product or isn't guaranteed to get there you think that is a prediction of bust-dom.     I don't care about predictions I care about results.       

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Honorable mention: Devin Singletary (Miles Sanders selected), Dawson Knox (Hockenson selected) 

This is draft class for the Bills has T.H. makings of a truly special one. Ford has not played up to his hype. So far this is the only miss and maybe he will improve. Sweeney is also a hidden gem. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm just effing with you  I didn't know your take on Oliver...........a week ago you posted something in a pro-Oliver thread about me not liking the Oliver pick and Bandit and Gunner shot that take down for it's falsehood..........I guess you forgot.:lol: 

You are in a big hurry to try to prove me wrong about something when you don't even know my take.    You are pre-disposed to it.    You will find I rarely outright predict anything.

Truth is I have liked all 4 of Buffalo's first round picks under McDermott and have expressed that numerous times here on TSW but for some reason the fact that I am not willing to accept that someone isn't a finished product or isn't guaranteed to get there you think that is a prediction of bust-dom.     I don't care about predictions I care about results.       

I mis-remembered something, and said "my bad" when Gunner pointed that out to me. I didn't even fight it. This seems like alot of trouble for a simple mistake. Its weird that you even remembered it. 

Singletary would be the best rookie back if he didn't get hurt. Knox might be able to give Hockenson a run for this money if the Bills actually played him and threw him the ball. Oliver is doing a very good job of pushing the pocket. Impressive draft class so far. Hopefully they are able to continue their upward trajectory in the next few seasons. 

1 hour ago, MDH said:

Yeah, but he's barely played G. I can't wait for the Ford at T experiment to end.

Not sure it will happen anytime soon. Sal said Nsecke is on a snap count due to his knee issue so he lasts all season. and he didn’t practice at all today with an ankle injury. 

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure it will happen anytime soon. Sal said Nsecke is on a snap count due to his knee issue so he lasts all season. and he didn’t practice at all today with an ankle injury. 

My bad, Yolo. I started a new thread on this. I checked to see if it was posted but I must not have scrolled down far enough. You can merge my thread with this one if you want. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is draft class for the Bills has T.H. makings of a truly special one. Ford has not played up to his hype. So far this is the only miss and maybe he will improve. Sweeney is also a hidden gem. 

Johnson in the 7th was a steal IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

woah there buddy!