Mariota very effective vs Blitz, what's the D´s Game Plan?

Antonio

Bills defense looked like they were a step ahead of Brady and McDaniels so, I guess I'm not too terribly concerned about Mariota and the Titans. They seem like a real inconsistent team this year. They blew out the Browns thanks to Mayfield's three picks, then they gave up nine sacks in a loss to Jacksonville, which was a game I watched and what I saw was if you get Mariota to hold onto the ball longer than the average 2.5 seconds, he takes some bad sacks. Secondary could play a large role in allowing the DL to get home. And I saw someone mention their screen game... NE has been one of the best screen teams for over a decade now and the Bills shut that down last week. They were stopping tons of NE staples we've all seen year after year that usually chew them up but not this time. 

I think this defense can pick up where they left off and shut them down pretty good. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 2

I know Mariota looked decent last week, but he also looked like a dumpster fire against the Jags. 

He doesn't worry me.

6 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Bills defense looked like they were a step ahead of Brady and McDaniels so, I guess I'm not too terribly concerned about Mariota and the Titans. They seem like a real inconsistent team this year. They blew out the Browns thanks to Mayfield's three picks, then they gave up nine sacks in a loss to Jacksonville, which was a game I watched and what I saw was if you get Mariota to hold onto the ball longer than the average 2.5 seconds, he takes some bad sacks. Secondary could play a large role in allowing the DL to get home. And I saw someone mention their screen game... NE has been one of the best screen teams for over a decade now and the Bill's shut that down last week. They were stopping tons of NE staples we've all seen year after year that usually chew them up but not this time. 

I think this defense can pick up where they left off and shut them down pretty good. 

This defense is great for the most part at staying at home, keeping the ball infront of them and then coming up and making the tackle.

The Bills have had great defenses over the last 20 years, but I don't recall a unit that collectively tackles players after they've made the catch as well as this one.

I could be totally off base, but in the passing and screen game. They've looked like sure tacklers for the most part.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Make Mariota play QB.  Stop Henry, don't let Mariota run.  Force Mariota to operate in the pocket and find open guys.  Profit.

Mariota hardly ever runs but the overall concept of this is right. Put 8 in the box with 1 high and sit on everything between the los and 10 out. On most days he cant beat you deep. However he does turn into a very good qb randomly so wtf do i know.

• Like (+1) 1

Mariota is the worst QB the Bills will play to date. If he is good when blitzed, don’t blitz. He is an average to below average QB at best. 

Mariota will make a play or two, maybe lead them on a drive. Make him play quarterback for 4 quarters. Score points on offense so Mariota has to keep trying to score. 

Lots of punts this game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, K-9 said:

We are not a blitzing team. We play coverage and try to disguise and confuse while doing so. I doubt McFrazier will deviate from that formula very much other than a few wrinkles here and there. 

Belichik has n interesting comment about bills defense. Prior to game the press asked him if the bills defense was a game plan or scheme defense. 

He said they werent a game plan D. Why would they change what they do it works..

i expect it wont look terribly different than last week, exception Mariota is a running threat 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Belichik has n interesting comment about bills defense. Prior to game the press asked him if the bills defense was a game plan or scheme defense. 

He said they werent a game plan D. Why would they change what they do it works..

i expect it wont look terribly different than last week, exception Mariota is a running threat 

I mean, I guess if running for 30 yards a game is a running threat, then sure? That's his highest total this year. For his career he averages around 20 yards per game. He isn't really a runner. He was in college so maybe thats what people remember about him? (I guess unless were comparing his mobility to that of Tom Brady lol, but the point is there are many QBs in this league who are more of a running threat than Mariota).

11 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I know Mariota looked decent last week, but he also looked like a dumpster fire against the Jags. 

He doesn't worry me.

This defense is great for the most part at staying at home, keeping the ball infront of them and then coming up and making the tackle.

The Bills have had great defenses over the last 20 years, but I don't recall a unit that collectively tackles players after they've made the catch as well as this one.

I could be totally off base, but in the passing and screen game. They've looked like sure tacklers for the most part.

Depends on who you ask, I guess, haha. I saw another thread where someone said tackling was a "yuuuuge" problem. I don't really see it. They rally up and tackle pretty well. Yeah, a runner bounces off them here and there but that happens with any defense.

23 hours ago, Antonio said:

So, according to Next Gen Stats, Mariota was very effective vs the Blitz.

What´s our game plan?

I guess it will be similar to Brady´s, try your best to creat preassure with 4 but try to disguise who is coming and who is droping. Flood the short area, as must of his passes are within 5 to 10 yards pass the line. Also, be very aware of the screen game, he had 6 passes behind the line. 

Mariota.thumb.jpg.a87db605f13865c91bb5457478a2a284.jpg

Game plan is Easy.

Control Henry, Pressure with front 4 (making Mariota stay in pocket) and make him sustain long drives for points.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My thoughts:

1. Mariota is streaky, so don't matter if he was effective against blitz one week, not really afraid or Mariota or his decision making
  2. We have the best secondary in football, so I have full confidence in our ability to play tight coverage on any blitz.
  3. I actually wouldn't bother sending too many guys after Mariota, we can create a little pressure bringing one extra guy and letting our secondary and either Milano or Edmunds take the throwing lanes away and get him to make mistakes or take sacks.  
  4. Focus on stopping Henry and this offense will struggle.  

Only player that scares me is Henry, only because he is hard to bring down if he gets to the 2nd level, and we can't lose sight of him as a receiver out of the backfield.  Tenn WR's are good at blocking down field too.  If we can contain him up front and mitigate him as receiver out of the back field, then we can slow this offense down a lot IMO.  

Agree with all that!

Thanks for your input.

21 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

You know, this isn't the right thread for this but... They sometimes show McDermott's locker room speech after a big win.  I'd like to see one after a big loss like this to see what he says to the team.

That would be nice to hear. How does he handle adversity and how the players react to what he has to say about the game.

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Thats certanly an interesting comment and BB is one of the better coaches identifing their oppoinents weknesses. If they had a hard time doing it against our D we should be fine. 

I´m sure our defense has a weak spot, I´m sure McD know this and they just make sure that when teams attack our weakness, every player makes up for it. 

The one thing that Mariota offers that Brady didn't have is mobility.  I think the Bills' defense will be just fine in any case.  The Bills just need to score a reasonable number of points against a Titans defense that is pretty good themselves.