Mariota very effective vs Blitz, what's the D´s Game Plan?

Antonio

5 minutes ago, Antonio said:

For starters, I do not know how often the Bills Blitz. I just think it was an interesting fact that was put out there about our next opponent. Some of the best plays the Bills have had against run or pass had been Blitzes, maybe because they don´t expected, but you have to check Poyer coming down the line and making plays behind the line, or Minano coming free against Brady (no call for grounding) but was a nice 3rd down stop by our D when blitzing Brady (one of the best agaisnt the blitz).

Having said that, I rather discuss this than keep crying about last week lost or officiating or so on... not saying you are, but just discuss something different for a change.

I’m certainly on board with that - I’m tired of the complaining about the loss too. Bills play primarily zone concept defense that doesn’t lend towards a lot of blitzing. 

Bills win big against the titans. They’re frauds.

Just now, JoPar_v2 said:

I’m certainly on board with that - I’m tired of the complaining about the loss too. Bills play primarily zone concept defense that doesn’t lend towards a lot of blitzing. 

Bills win big against the titans. They’re frauds.

I don´t know that, it certanly won´t be easy. They have play 3 out of 4 games away.

I sure hope we are ready for battle come sunday. Sometimes this kind of lost has negative effect on teams. It was very emotional for the entire group. 

We will see how "mentaly tough" they are, this is something McD preaches a lot.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Mariota is a guy you don't blitz. You flood zones and make him make effective decisions. That is his weakness.

This is right. He is a one-read, quick throw quarterback. If that throw isn't there, he becomes very ineffective. When you blitz, that read ends up being open. Thus, the success. I think he is susceptible to corner blitzes though. In any event, the more guys in coverage, the better. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

He is a bad QB... Not worried.

You think they just played a bad defense agiant the falcons and browns? 24 & 43 points are not gimmies, and they were away. 24+ points and you normally win a game. 

I´m not saying Mariota is good. I´m thinking the opponents had bad game plans against them. Falcons bltized a lot agiant Mariota, and they paid for it.

That is why my question was "whats your game plan?" as a whole, not just Mariota. They have tall possession WR that can give trouble to Tre. 

Just now, Antonio said:

You think they just played a bad defense agiant the falcons and browns? 24 & 43 points are not gimmies, and they were away. 24+ points and you normally win a game. 

I´m not saying Mariota is good. I´m thinking the opponents had bad game plans against them. Falcons bltized a lot agiant Mariota, and they paid for it.

That is why my question was "whats your game plan?" as a whole, not just Mariota. They have tall possession WR that can give trouble to Tre. 

Yea, he isn't good.

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is right. He is a one-read, quick throw quarterback. If that throw isn't there, he becomes very ineffective. When you blitz, that read ends up being open. Thus, the success. I think he is susceptible to corner blitzes though. In any event, the more guys in coverage, the better. 

Good take. So he normally finds the hot read and takes advantage of it. 

2 hours ago, Antonio said:

So, according to Next Gen Stats, Mariota was very effective vs the Blitz.

What´s our game plan?

I guess it will be similar to Brady´s, try your best to creat preassure with 4 but try to disguise who is coming and who is droping. Flood the short area, as must of his passes are within 5 to 10 yards pass the line. Also, be very aware of the screen game, he had 6 passes behind the line. 

Mariota.thumb.jpg.a87db605f13865c91bb5457478a2a284.jpg

Well, shouldn't be an issue because our Defense does not blitz that often (compared to most teams).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

Or the punter should throw to the wide open gunner for an easy 50 yard gain

How sweet would that be? The Cheaters try to outsmart us, and it turns around to bite them on the arse!  I mean, I know that didn’t happen, but a guy can dream! I like to think we are getting closer....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

How sweet would that be? The Cheaters try to outsmart us, and it turns around to bite them on the arse!  I mean, I know that didn’t happen, but a guy can dream! I like to think we are getting closer....

One day I hope!

I remembar when the Bills were line up to kick a filed goal and Moorman threw a sideline pass to a wide open Ryan Denney for a TD. Something like that against the Pats would make me extremely happy!

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I have zero worries about the Titans offense against the Bills defense.

I have LOTS OF worries about the Bills offense against the Titans defense.

Derrick Henry is a big strong back.  I think the Bills can handle the Titans' offense, but Henry is a load when he's on.

My thoughts:

1. Mariota is streaky, so don't matter if he was effective against blitz one week, not really afraid or Mariota or his decision making
  2. We have the best secondary in football, so I have full confidence in our ability to play tight coverage on any blitz.
  3. I actually wouldn't bother sending too many guys after Mariota, we can create a little pressure bringing one extra guy and letting our secondary and either Milano or Edmunds take the throwing lanes away and get him to make mistakes or take sacks.  
  4. Focus on stopping Henry and this offense will struggle.  

Only player that scares me is Henry, only because he is hard to bring down if he gets to the 2nd level, and we can't lose sight of him as a receiver out of the backfield.  Tenn WR's are good at blocking down field too.  If we can contain him up front and mitigate him as receiver out of the back field, then we can slow this offense down a lot IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Antonio said:

I don´t know that, it certanly won´t be easy. They have play 3 out of 4 games away.

I sure hope we are ready for battle come sunday. Sometimes this kind of lost has negative effect on teams. It was very emotional for the entire group. 

We will see how "mentaly tough" they are, this is something McD preaches a lot.

You know, this isn't the right thread for this but... They sometimes show McDermott's locker room speech after a big win.  I'd like to see one after a big loss like this to see what he says to the team.