Mariota very effective vs Blitz, what's the D´s Game Plan?

Antonio

I fully expect out D to dominate them.

We need our O to play with confidence, Motor being back will be a huge lift.  Constantly having tight ends and fresh backs in the game and mixing up run/pass should sustain a few drives and let us get to 24 points (i also expect a couple short fields from actually winning the turnover battle for once!).

We seem to be good w the scripted drives, so getting off to a 10 or so point lead taking their biggest weapon (running) off the table early should make for a W.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Play coverage and keep him in the pocket. Get pressure up the middle with Oliver. I think he controls the game up the middle and the guards will be overmatched. 

Do you think Oliver has his first sack?

4 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Did Josh pretty much win the game with his legs last year?

Can’t compare last years offense because it was devoid of talent. The defense had a strong game vs TEN and is probably what was being referenced in the post. 

stop the run, defend the pass.

Maybe I just don't pay too close attention ....   Thus far how often has  Buffalo blitzed their opponents?  25%, more,  much more, less?  

EDIT - 

From Benoit’s perspective, the Bills are successful when they blitz.

“They don’t blitz a lot in Buffalo, they didn’t blitz a lot in Carolina when McDermott was running that defense,” Benoit explained.

“When they do blitz it is highly efficient and highly effective. Just watching the film when they blitz, far more often than not, they get some kind of benefit out of that.”

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-buffalo-is-ready-to-bounce-back-in-nashville

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, colin said:

I fully expect out D to dominate them.

We need our O to play with confidence, Motor being back will be a huge lift.  Constantly having tight ends and fresh backs in the game and mixing up run/pass should sustain a few drives and let us get to 24 points (i also expect a couple short fields from actually winning the turnover battle for once!).

We seem to be good w the scripted drives, so getting off to a 10 or so point lead taking their biggest weapon (running) off the table early should make for a W.

That will be crucial.

We will need to prepare well for their scripted drive. We can´t afford a Gigants-like start of the game for our D.

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

stop the run, defend the pass.

Maybe I just don't pay too close attention ....   Thus far how often has  Buffalo blitzed their opponents?  25%, more,  much more, less?  

I couldn´t find the info. I think we seem to stack the box and only send 4 must of the time. But we seem to disguice who is coming and who is dropping very well and either Edmunds and Milano are very good in coverage so it is easy to know witch one plays the mike on any given play. Sometimes they send Edmunds and Milano manages the middle pretty well. 

2 minutes ago, Antonio said:

I couldn´t find the info. I think we seem to stack the box and only send 4 must of the time. But we seem to disguice who is coming and who is dropping very well and either Edmunds and Milano are very good in coverage so it is easy to know witch one plays the mike on any given play. Sometimes they send Edmunds and Milano manages the middle pretty well. 

pressuring a is not necessarily a BLITZ package

See the link in my last post 

that was edited in

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Considering the Bills hardly ever blitz, not sure why that Mariota tidbit is even mentioned by the OP, but I’d say they do what they normally do and dominate. Mariota is trash anyways. Not even scared bros.

For starters, I do not know how often the Bills Blitz. I just think it was an interesting fact that was put out there about our next opponent. Some of the best plays the Bills have had against run or pass had been Blitzes, maybe because they don´t expected, but you have to check Poyer coming down the line and making plays behind the line, or Minano coming free against Brady (no call for grounding) but was a nice 3rd down stop by our D when blitzing Brady (one of the best agaisnt the blitz).

Having said that, I rather discuss this than keep crying about last week lost or officiating or so on... not saying you are, but just discuss something different for a change.

7 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

pressuring a is not necessarily a BLITZ package

See the link in my last post 

that was edited in

Thanks, that is very good to know. 

Ocational but successful blitzing to creat plays, maybe turnovers. I like that.