Right Side of the Line...

Paulus

After watching the game against the Pats one thing became very clear to me; the Bills need help on the right side of the line.

Trent Willaims was mentioned earlier in the year as he sat out much of it, but the Skins held tight and did not sell him. (He is still sitting out.) With that said, after an 0-4 start does Willaims become more tradable? I mean, are the Skins now more likely to trade him, now?

If not, what 'do with the right side of the line?  Any savvy fans have any ideas, other than trust the process? (No problem with the process, just wondering.)

TemptingAnguishedCurlew-size_restricted.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, this may be a novel idea, but I’m going to hope the professionals in the FO we pay millions to figure things out....do just that. And, IMO the clapping obsession is more annoying than the clapping. 

Sorry, but the whining after a loss can wear on a guy. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Well, this may be a novel idea, but I’m going to hope the professionals in the FO we pay millions to figure things out....do just that. And, IMO the clapping obsession is more annoying than the clapping. 

I am not whining... I think it is a legit weakness that still can be fixed. Just thought itd be a more practical approach than the dozens of Josh Allen threads. Also, I like the clapping. 

3 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I am not whining... I think it is a legit weakness that still can be fixed. Just thought itd be a more practical approach than the dozens of Josh Allen threads. Also, I like the clapping. 

Sorry, I’m just tired of the “we suck” after narrowly losing to the defending champs and one of the top 2 teams in the league. It wears me out!  You are correct, the right side needs fixing. I don’t know what we can do mid-season....at the right value. I suspect they will hold their water and do it right after the season, while hoping we gel and get better this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Sorry, I’m just tired of the “we suck” after narrowly losing to the defending champs and one of the top 2 teams in the league. It wears me out!  You are correct, the right side needs fixing. I don’t know what we can do mid-season....at the right value. I suspect they will hold their water and do it right after the season, while hoping we gel and get better this year. 

Agreed...

Idk, the right side of the line is one area I can see McBeane trying to do something with. Maybe a package with Zay to the Raiders, haha. I mean, McBeane really did go quite hard at revamping the OL, and it looks great compared to last year. The one spot that seems to be a thorn is that right side, though. Bad pass blocking and rare/poorer runs in that direction as well. Seems like a  pretty consistent problem. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something about it, but you're probably right that it won't involve trading.

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Agreed...

Idk, the right side of the line is one area I can see McBeane trying to do something with. Maybe a package with Zay to the Raiders, haha. I mean, McBeane really did go quite hard at revamping the OL, and it looks great compared to last year. The one spot that seems to be a thorn is that right side, though. Bad pass blocking and rare/poorer runs in that direction as well. Seems like a  pretty consistent problem. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something about it, but you're probably right that it won't involve trading.

Still weak at RT. Ford isn’t up to it yet and Nsekhe seems to be struggling. I don’t break it down the way many here do, but we need to plug the leak over there! 

I do wish we would run the ball more. Give play action a chance. Gore was 9 for 88 at one point, I think. Why did we NOT do more of that? Why did we launch downfield so much against those DB’s? Life confuses me sometimes! 

• Like (+1) 3

Nsehke was one of the most sought after OTs in FA. Ford is an early Round 2 guy we traded UP FOR. The right side of the line has been addressed. Cody is enduring a baptism under fire. That was Leagues Best Defense we just played.

Dammit! I hate the week after Pats* games.

CA8ED79B-9FD8-4FDE-B34D-D1842CAB67EC.jpeg

• Thank you (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

Still weak at RT. Ford isn’t up to it yet and Nsekhe seems to be struggling. I don’t break it down the way many here do, but we need to plug the leak over there! 

I do wish we would run the ball more. Give play action a chance. Gore was 9 for 88 at one point, I think. Why did we NOT do more of that? Why did we launch downfield so much against those DB’s? Life confuses me sometimes! 

Yeah, I was wanting to see a bit more running in the game, but the Pats had 8 in the box, a lot of the time. At times the Pats seemed to be daring Josh and Daboll to go deep, which they did and failed. Solving BB's defense is not easy.

That said, the Bills' offense did start moving the ball once Josh started playing the hero-ball. Sadly, it resulted in him getting speared to his head.

Lastly, I don't think the Pats will never get their comeuppance, which is a shame.

41 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Nsehke was one of the most sought after OTs in FA. Ford is an early Round 2 guy we traded UP FOR. The right side of the line has been addressed. Cody is enduring a baptism under fire. That was Leagues Best Defense we just played.

Dammit! I hate the week after Pats* games.

CA8ED79B-9FD8-4FDE-B34D-D1842CAB67EC.jpeg

Thanks for the insight. I swear the right side has looked a bit like a weakness this whole season, to be frank. I hope to be wrong.

Honestly, I'd like to see a breakdown of when pressure is coming from and how often the Bill's run to the right side of the line. 

Edited by Paulus

24 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Agreed...

IMO they're working with it, and they haven't maximized their talent or abilities yet, much less had as much of a chance to gel as they would have if they'd settled on five guys to play.

It's seemed to me that Nsekhe has been OK at tackle and Ford at guard, but they seem not to want to do that for some reason.

In any case, I think this is part of the process and I don't see them bringing in an expensive FA in Williams. Or trading Zay, their third-best WR, either for that matter.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

yeah, there is maybe one window to do something, the bye week ... once that has come and gone, the roster is the roster , IMO. and major changes wait until the offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

LEFT END LEFT TACKLE MID/GUARD RIGHT TACKLE RIGHT END
Rank TEAM ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank
1 SF 6.60 4 6.99 2 4.69 13 6.35 2 5.63 5
2 BAL 10.66 1 4.07 23 4.99 5 5.43 5 4.14 16
3 BUF 5.90 6 6.36 5 4.80 9 4.83 17 3.70 17

. . . Show the success and direction.

Rank Team RB
Carries
LEFT
END
LEFT
TACKLE
MID/
GUARD
RIGHT
TACKLE
RIGHT
END

20 BUF 80 13% 8% 64% 13% 4%

. . . Shows the rate and direction.

Too tired to find the pressures from each side, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the statistical difference even more significant.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

. . . Sauce.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Cmon man. The OP didn’t say we suck. He correctly pointed out RT is a weakness now and there is a player holding out that might be available. 

Ford is playing terribly at RT but again most are not giving up on him. Many believe he is better at RG. I believe Nsekhe is a journeyman OT but is the best option now barring a trade.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

yeah, there is maybe one window to do something, the bye week ... once that has come and gone, the roster is the roster , IMO. and major changes wait until the offseason. 

KB was acquired Oct 31 2017, two weeks after the bye. I do agree though a trade early next week for Trent Williams would be ideal timing at the start of the bye week

Trent Williams is brilliant but I don't know if trading for him helps the right side. Would he come here and play RT having been a LT his whole career? Not sure. 

Now you could plug him in at LT and try flipping Dawkins to RT but he has not played there since pre-season his rookie year where he really looked unnatural. I have it written on my pre-draft evaluation of Dawkins "Left Guard with Left Tackle flex, not convinced he has left / right flex" 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

yuuup !!!!!

5 hours ago, Paulus said:
    LEFT END LEFT TACKLE MID/GUARD RIGHT TACKLE RIGHT END
Rank TEAM ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank
1 SF 6.60 4 6.99 2 4.69 13 6.35 2 5.63 5
2 BAL 10.66 1 4.07 23 4.99 5 5.43 5 4.14 16
3 BUF 5.90 6 6.36 5 4.80 9 4.83 17 3.70 17

Not quite sure what I'm reading here, but at first glance, it doesn't seem too bad. Obviously, the right side is weaker, but still not awful (middle of the pack at 17)? Am I missing something?

Edited by CSBill

It's been widely observed that Cody Ford is playing very poorly at Right Tackle right now.  

The offense seems to play better and have less protection breakdowns with Ty Nsekhe on the field.  This also may be a reason our offense is so inconsistent from drive to drive.  Most teams prefer to establish continuity with the O-Line.  Our coaching staff seems determined to give Ford rotational reps anyway, deal with the growing pains and hope it helps accelerate his development.  It could be argued that Ford needs to be pulled out completely, and he needs to get better in practice before getting pushed onto the field.  Our coaches see it differently, and I guess only time will tell if they are doing the right thing.

Personally, I would like to see Brian Daboll make some adjustments to help the O-Line and take some pressure off Josh Allen.

Run the ball more.  Call for more quick two-step passing plays.  Put the running back into the backfield as an extra blocker.

Around the league, other teams are doing everything they can to help their young QBs with extra protection and easy passes.  Daboll puts Allen back there with five receivers, an empty backfield, and expects him to attack every secondary 15-20 yards downfield.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, this may be a novel idea, but I’m going to hope the professionals in the FO we pay millions to figure things out....do just that. And, IMO the clapping obsession is more annoying than the clapping

And people used to get on Jauron for standing there like a zombie during games.  You can please some of the people...

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Cmon man. The OP didn’t say we suck. He correctly pointed out RT is a weakness now and there is a player holding out that might be available. 

Ford is playing terribly at RT but again most are not giving up on him. Many believe he is better at RG. I believe Nsekhe is a journeyman OT but is the best option now barring a trade.  

Thank you, I think he realistically stated what our biggest weakness on offense is and suggested making a move for a good player wanting out.  Idk how good T williams actually is but hes been to 7 striaght probowls for goodness sake.  He clearly wants out, get him for cheap and extend him til forever.  We need to slow the game down for Josh

im starting to think that the reason why Ty is getting rotated in and out is because he's got some kind of foot/health issue that is limiting him (could be he just gets tired fast or some such).

they were willing to take burn from Star for harry, and they put that dude (can't remember his name, but i'm a fan) we stole from miami last year who just wrecks shop, so i think they are pretty motivated to put in whoever they think is best at that time.

• Like (+1) 1