How is Josh Allen being coached?

Stallions

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Do you honestly think that it took a tap on the helmet by Daboll for people to get the impression that Allen doesn’t think well in a game? Really? As though Allen’s own performance at times on the field doesn’t make that plainly obvious to anyone watching? 

Someone should alert the opposing DCs.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Oh please.  He screwed up and the coach held him accountable.  The OP and a couple others here probably want to pat him on the head and give him a participation trophy.,

...he HAS to....the kid is only 15 games as a starter......with his size, wheels and arm, he has to outgrow letting his "heart trump his head"......

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Stallions said:

Do that stuff in the coaches room.  Now an impression has been made that Josh doesn't think well in a game!  

Well, Allen hasn't thought well in games this season.  He has had 6 INTs in 4 games, at least 3 of them blatantly stupid throws that even a raw rookie shouldn't throw more than once.   I was glad that Daboll got on Allen on national TV ... and I hope he got roasted properly again when going over the film.   If Allen can't make good decisions, then he'll never even be a competent NFL QB much less a franchise one. 

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...he HAS to....the kid is only 15 games as a starter......with his size, wheels and arm, he has to outgrow letting his "heart trump his head"......

The "only 15 games as a starter" line is getting old in regard to Allen.  He's NOT making new mistakes that could be attributed to lack of experience.  He's repeating the same stupid mistakes over and over rather than learning from them, and that's unacceptable.  That was the source of Daboll's sideline frustration -- and many fans' as well.

12 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The "only 15 games as a starter" line is getting old in regard to Allen.  He's NOT making new mistakes that could be attributed to lack of experience.  He's repeating the same stupid mistakes over and over rather than learning from them, and that's unacceptable.  That was the source of Daboll's sideline frustration -- and many fans' as well.

He showed a lot of improvement the first 3 games, more decisive with his reads, very accurate, taking the short throws, etc.  Bu he has to break that habit of trying to make the long throw downfield when he's out scrambling.  He is throwing into coverage and it just doesn't work.  He did more throwaways the first 3 games, but reverted to some bad habits this past Sunday.  Young QBs have their ups and downs and Sunday was a down. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t blame Daboll for being mad and showing it.  He’s helpless on the sidelines, just watching the putrid execution of his plays and boneheaded mistakes. 

He could have yelled at the O line for bad play as well.  I hope somebody was. JA was getting pressure much too soon and too often. Of course JA holds onto the ball too long, which is another indication of him not using his head. 

People are saying that the game plan was awful, and people are also saying that JA was ignoring the short passes in favor of long passes. Which is it? JA also has opportunities to change the play with audibles. Maybe the execution was the problem, not the plan. 

I’m not trying to be so negative on JA, I have faith that he will eventually become very good.  I’m just trying to put Daboll’s anger, frustration, and temper in perspective. 

Daboll was right.  Josh was trying to do too much and bypassing open receivers in an effort to force the ball downfield.  It's literally Dabol's job to be a coach and tell his player to get back to the gameplan.  If Allen can't take some hard coaching -- and I'm sure he can -- then he doesn't belong in the NFL.  

I seem to recall guys like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells occasionally engaging in a frank exchange of ideas on the sideline. 

And if anybody really feels bad about Allen catching a little flack from Brian Daboll, let's take a stroll down memory lane.

11 hours ago, Stallions said:

I didn’t like seeing Daboll ridiculing Josh on the bench after an interception this past Sunday.  Tapping his forehead as if to say “THINK”.   That made many NFL highlight shows.

Where is Allen’s QB coach Ken Dorsey?  He supposedly helped Cam Newton with the Panthers. 

Josh has been working for 2 years in CA with Jordan Palmer’s private Company “QB Summit”.  They stress footwork and include ‘yoga on the beach’!!  Jordan Palmer completed 11 passes in the NFL career and is really a spiritual guru rather than a coach/trainer.  Tyree Jackson from UB studied with him before the ’19 draft.  Has this helped at all and did the Bills recommend this training?

It appears Josh is regressing with basic QB skills.  The NFL teams now have  had 2 years to scout his play.  I can see him ending the year with the same numbers as last season.  That’s not good enough.

As of right now, Josh Allen is on pace to have improved his completion percentage by almost 8 points - while also increasing his YPA by almost a half-yard from last year.  He's also on pace to throw for over 50 yards per game more than last season.  Up until the New England loss, most observers were stating that Allen had taken great strides in his accuracy, pocket presence and ability to read a defense.  Bottom line.  He is not going to have the same numbers.

The Patriots Defense meanwhile, is literally setting NFL records for greatness.  We are talking 85 Bears level of dominance.  Yes, Allen looked terrible on Sunday.  Worse than he's looked since the early part of his rookie year.  But I'm not sure that measuring his performance against what could end up being the best unit in NFL history, is really a good benchmark for saying he is "regressing" as a passer.

I'll agree that Allen is not good enough... right now.  We ultimately need him to become a Top 10 quarterback in this league by (at least) Year 4-5, or it will be time to look in a different direction.  We should accept nothing less.  At this point of his career (15 starts), I think he is only in the #20-25 range -- alongside the other guys from his draft class like Mayfield, Darnold and Jackson.  But last year, he was around #30-35... so we are seeing a slow climb.

I've already stated on this board that I'm concerned about Allen's reckless turnovers.  He has a whopping 11 turnovers in only four games, and it actually could have been more.  He's getting baited into the same stupid throws EVERY SINGLE WEEK, and this time it finally cost us the game.  There are times he's also holding the ball too long, and failing to spot open receivers.  At the same time, there are plenty of reasons for optimism and numerous ways to mark his improvement over the last 12 months.  It's foolish to only see his struggles and ignore where he's finding success.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Well, Allen hasn't thought well in games this season.  He has had 6 INTs in 4 games, at least 3 of them blatantly stupid throws that even a raw rookie shouldn't throw more than once.   I was glad that Daboll got on Allen on national TV ... and I hope he got roasted properly again when going over the film.   If Allen can't make good decisions, then he'll never even be a competent NFL QB much less a franchise one. 

Fortunately, he’s also demonstrated good decision making as well. 

12 hours ago, Dante said:

Never know for sure but this is what I thought as well. Trying too hard. He just has to learn to take what is available. Especially against the best D's. He has to be patient like he was on the first drive of the second half. 

Ya know it’s interesting...I’ve been trying to piece this puzzle together and I almost feel that all this stuff could be related to JA wanting to have a long throw contest with Pat Mahomes, as well as his comments to Tyree Jackson in the embedded series about who throws farther...for some reason the guy seems obsessed with throwing the deep ball, and showing off his big arm instead of “being a QB” and taking what the D gives him...it’s almost like his “ADHD” gets bored with the short, simple throws and he gets more of an adrenaline rush by throwing it deep...I get it...if I had an arm like that I would probably chuck a football 80 yards every chance I got just because it looked cool.

i think Josh could truly be great if he could just learn to overcome those urges...but like Brett Favre said, sometimes having the biggest arm can also be your biggest weakness.

Does anyone think Josh is sitting somewhere thinking about how Daboll "hurt his feelings" on Sunday? :censored: no. He's pissed because he threw 3 picks, got ko'd, and we lost a game we could've won against the Pats. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, gjv001 said:

It appeared to me that Allen was so intent on playing a perfect game, and it backfired on him. He will learn from this and just be better for it.

This is how I see it as well.  He got a new haircut for the game and all.  I truly think he overhyped himself and really wanted to deliver a win so badly that he instinctively went back to bad habits and tried to will his way through it instead of letting the game come to him.  You could tell early in the game he appeared nervous and was pressing too hard.  In a way, Belchick and the hype was in his head before the first snap.  He will learn from this (hopefully) and coaching will continue to do their part to help him.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Stallions said:

Come on - - comparing Josh with Tom is pitiful!

Oh ffs, that wasn’t a comparison between Allen and Brady; it was a comparison between Daboll and McDaniels. 

Perhaps you need a tap on the helmet as well?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Dabol deserves a tonne of credit for how he's handled Josh and the offense this year. I had no problem with his actions on the sideline Sunday. What's he supposed to do? Josh was single-handedly losing the game for the team. It's not like Dabol was all over him right away either -- he waited until like the tenth screw up to really get on his case. If anything he should have got on him sooner.

I especially liked the way Dabol audibled away from the game plan in the second quarter when it was clear Josh was in deer-in-headlights mode, and put the ball in Gore's hands to slow the game down and give the defense a breather. Then, after a lively pep talk at halftime, he put the ball back in Josh's hands to start the 3rd. He showed faith. Unfortunately Allen just didn't have it Sunday.

Dabol deserves heavy praise for the way he handled a very tricky situation. Sometimes I wonder whether I'm watching the same team as everyone else. 

Edited by VW82
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

This is how I see it as well.  He got a new haircut for the game and all.  I truly think he overhyped himself and really wanted to deliver a win so badly that he instinctively went back to bad habits and tried to will his way through it instead of letting the game come to him.  You could tell early in the game he appeared nervous and was pressing too hard.  In a way, Belchick and the hype was in his head before the first snap.  He will learn from this (hopefully) and coaching will continue to do their part to help him.  

Couldn't agree more.  One thing I've been wondering this week is if Daboll could go to a scripted approach.  Script the first 10 plays or so to start the game; I recall that Bill Walsh did something similar with Montana and Young and that seemed to work out rather well.  Scripting so Josh knows exactly what call he's making, where to go with the ball, etc.  might be beneficial as he develops.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone passing judgement on Daboll's methods is doing so without the benefit of any insight into the strength of their overall relationship, and without an understanding of Daboll's assessment of Allen's readiness for hard coaching.

In other words, to put it less delicately, your judgement is ill-informed and meaningless.

• Awesome! (+1) 1