The First Program Cover From the 1st Game at The Rich

T&C

1 hour ago, T&C said:

71584592_2891872304159818_1041902771873251328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQnwAN3vJzPj7tqERoBJrjkDJvkRDkd3LYFeaGMcEmV9ksipjceaQYPHVdR0V3dloVU&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=206790b485393f4483c50328403bd2d0&oe=5DF89589

70371094_2891872350826480_4771760205463552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQmg_s9yCPqGxuYpxhFKL1jPwp4UWziZ4KgM44SHTgWKLoD2_7i4hllXuUFF39vHMAE&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=f0fd19ead57d8b36ddbb4b0d08f36bd1&oe=5E35A5AA

Wow.  I didn't know there was a Datsun with a fastback.  I only knew that brand for pick-up trucks.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

72359027_2891872374159811_3505077313677033472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQk4aVgCcZsLSkLcl_dMrnNtegCXfyjrjd6GtqciZ5Yq9RB1GxhB2YOkKeLZlR5B8lw&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=cecaa5ac85b493986b3a10e273a48a56&oe=5E2D8CD0

Commander Tom.  My man.  And seeing  Irv Weinstein's face reminds me of hearing "It's 11 o'clock.  Do you know where your children are?"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I was there! Waiting in line to get in thanks to horrific traffic when Herb Mulkey....took the wind out of our sails....returning the opening kickoff for a TD, as I recall. 

Yay....

I remember listening to the game on the radio and hearing that TD KO return right off the bat. Ugh. A very inauspicious start to open Rich Stadium. My neighbor across the street went to the game. I was only 9 and so jealous that I couldn't go. They gave out a commemorative plastic gold coin for the occasion with an image of the stadium on one side. My neighbor knew how badly I had wanted to go and gave me his coin the next day. I was so stoked. It was a very nice gesture to a little kid that I've never forgotten. I still have that coin to this day. It's one of my favorite and most cherished Bills items. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I remember listening to the game on the radio and hearing that TD KO return right off the bat. Ugh. A very inauspicious start to open Rich Stadium. My neighbor across the street went to the game. I was only 9 and so jealous that I couldn't go. They gave out a commemorative plastic gold coin for the occasion with an image of the stadium on one side. My neighbor knew how badly I had wanted to go and gave me his coin the next day. I was so stoked. It was a very nice gesture to a little kid that I've never forgotten. I still have that coin to this day. It's one of my favorite and most cherished Bills items. 

That’s awesome! Nice karma!

I have a Meadcoin, so retirement is covered.  

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s awesome! Nice karma!

I have a Meadcoin, so retirement is covered.  

Haha! Thanks, Augie. My coin won't help me retire and holds no value other than intrinsic but its history and meaning bring a smile to my face just the same. :beer:

5 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Haha! Thanks, Augie. My coin won't help me retire and holds no value other than intrinsic but its history and meaning bring a smile to my face just the same. :beer:

I’ll have to check with @mead107, but I’m counting on that Meadcoin for great things! I should be set for life! Right? Don’t make me doubt this! 

Anything that gives you a warm feeling this many years later was a special act. I hope I’ve done something that cool for someone somewhere in my life. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’ll have to check with @mead107, but I’m counting on that Meadcoin for great things! I should be set for life! Right? Don’t make me doubt this! 

Anything that gives you a warm feeling this many years later was a special act. I hope I’ve done something that cool for someone somewhere in my life. 

I'm sure that Meadcoin is at least worth a lifetime supply of stromboli and wine. ?

It was a special act and one that I'm sure he had no idea at the time would have such a meaningful impact a little kid's life. Based on your posts, I'm sure you have done something like that for more than one person in your lifetime. You are definitely a credit to this board. Kudos to you and your continual contributions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I'm sure that Meadcoin is at least worth a lifetime supply of stromboli and wine. ?

It was a special act and one that I'm sure he had no idea at the time would have such a meaningful impact a little kid's life. Based on your posts, I'm sure you have done something like that for more than one person in your lifetime. You are definitely a credit to this board. Kudos to you and your continual contributions.

Thanks, but I wonder if any of us really know the affect we have on other people as we pass through life. We might think of some “significant” things we’d like to feel good about, but I think more often it’s the little things we may not even remember. Does your neighbor from 1973 look back on that kind act as a pass into Heaven? I seriously doubt it. Little things, every day. 

And now I will return to our previously scheduled topic. I loved those old programs! They had character, unlike the corporate stuff I completely ignore now. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I was there! Waiting in line to get in thanks to horrific traffic when Herb Mulkey....took the wind out of our sails....returning the opening kickoff for a TD, as I recall. 

Yay....

Correction: Herb Mul-Key!  

I remember that game! We were still stuck in traffic when the game started, so we were listening on the radio when the Redskins took the very first KO at the stadium to the house for a TD. No wonder we lost all 4 SB's! They should have recognized that as a bad omen and built another stadium. (j/k)

I was not only at that game, I was working at the stadium as a vendor in the stands.  I was 17 in the fall of 1973 so I was too young to sell beer, so I sold the lousy pop they sold. I walked around with a tray of this things, spilling most of it because the plastic wrap covers didn't seal. I didn't make much money but I got in to watch the game.  That was OJ's record year. After that year, I was 18 so I was old enough to sell beer, and I made a lot more money those years until I moved away.

Edited by Utah John
typo
  • Like (+1) 2