Some All-22 Review

elijah

Just finished going back and watching the all-22 and figured I’d share some of the things I came away with.  I’m sure I’m not the only one here that watches the all-22 so throw your own takes in here as well..

FIRST HALF: 

- OFFENSE

- Get Cody Ford off the damn field, or atleast slide him inside too guard.  He’s clearly not one of the best five offensive lineman on this team, so if we’re going too to force snaps down his throat then atleast move him to guard where we can hide him as a liability.  He’s too slow to hang with the speed of the pass rushers at this level. 

- Daboll has to recognize the pressure the Patriots are bringing, recognize our offensive line is strong at run blocking and transfer over to the power game.  Let Josh build up slowly.  This won’t be a problem against every team, but when you’re playing the Bill Belichick led Patriots, you’ve got too expect this.  I’ve been impressed throughout the season on Josh’s ability to play in the five wide set, but Belichick was abusing our offensive line and bringing all sorts of pressure.  Early in the game we were getting beat repeatedly in our pass blocking, Daboll could’ve spared Josh the awful first half he had had Daboll seen to transfer to a heavy set running game. 

- Josh, already a deer in headlights, got suffocated by the patriots pass rush and he got suffocated fast and early. 

- Frank still has it.  He’s got to continue to get fed the ball.  Singletary would’ve been a nice change of pace for the offense this week. 

- RPO was working very well for us.  Brown and Beasley were able to get the separation they needed on the slants. 

- Josh looked bad.  He was inaccurate, he was running when there was no pressure, he was forcing passes and his footwork was hectic.  That’s all true.  What isn’t true are the sky is falling hot takes saying that it’s time to move on and he’s made no progress as a player.  It was a rough start to the game, Belichick brought all sorts of pressure and confused a young second year quarterback with one of the best defenses of the decade.  That’s going too happen, Josh is still growing.  It was a rough first half, but he’ll be fine.  

- The biggest concern I have with Josh Allen right now is his ability to connect on the deep ball.  Everything else i believe was a product of Belichick and poor offensive line play and it just spiraled from there.  The deep ball however has been a consistent issue for Josh this year, rather than just a one game thing.  The bonehead decisions are also a problem, but he’s still young and I believe they’ve been happening at a decreasing rate and there’s been improvements so I’m letting them slide for now. 

- It’s no coincidence that the best two drives of the first half, the last two drives with the field goal and the missed field goal, happened to correlate with better pass blocking and a more accurate and composed Josh Allen.  All three of those elements are tied together and will be all season. 

DEFENSE 

- The first quarter was the best quarter of football the defensive line has played all season. 

- Ed Oliver made a difference and made a difference fast. 

- Secondary was playing phenomenal in man coverage. 

- Micah had an unusual blunder for himself on a third down on the touchdown drive for the Pats.  He got caught watching Brady too much and sank to the middle of the field leaving James White open in his zone. 

- Tremaine Edmunds was shedding blocks better and finally playing with a more aggressive pursuit of the ball. 

- Tackling is a problem for this defense and it has been all year.  One of their only problems, but one that can’t be overlooked and needs to be fixed.  The few times that the Patriots actually drove the field on us are easily accredited to poor arm tackles and missed tackles - aside from a Micah Hyde blunder mentioned above, and the Tre White DPI on 4th down.  There were quite a few times that our players got outwilled and ran through.  Very strong game from the D, but it wasn’t all perfect for the defense. 

- Blocked punt is just pure awful. Clearly and obviously outnumbered in the pressure they’re bringing.  Our gunners were uncovered and they just brought the house. It was ugly. 

SECOND HALF 

- OFFENSE 

- Much more efficient game plan to start the half.  Quick passes put less pressure on the offensive line, combined with Belichick oddly backing off a little bit with the pressure that was working before. 

- TJ Yeldon seemed to really emphasize ball security in his increased playing time. 

- We need to settle down on Zay Jones.  I was at the game live and I allowed the crowd to get too me and found myself falling into all of the hate suddenly for the first time.  Zay really didn’t do much wrong in this game and he fell victim to a lot of bad throws coming his way.  Zay can still be a productive third receiver and a part of this team down the stretch.  However, that being said, I also think it’s time to give up on the hope that he’ll ever live to his second round status or match the talent of fellow classmates like JuJu or Cooper Kupp.  Zay isn’t a dead beat like many portray him on this team, but he doesn’t play with second round talent either. 

- Josh was finding himself and settling into a groove right when he got hurt.  The offensive line started holding up a little better and he began to feel more comfortable in the pocket.  A quicker gameplan and a change of pace with TJ Yeldon we’re helping Josh play a better game after the half.  I don’t know if I would be confident enough to say that we win that game with Josh playing all the way through, but I know I wouldn’t have been surprised.  His footwork got more comfortable in the second, his accuracy improved and he looked more poised.  We’ve seen Josh lead a comeback once or twice before as well. 

- Matt Barkley left A LOT of passes on that field.  I have confidence to win with him, especially with the right gameplan and this defense, but he’s not the world beating, cinderella story, backup QB that a lot of fans think we have. 

- The fumble late in the 4th quarter from Barkley was a strip sack from Van Noy, Cody Ford’s assignment.  Get Ford off the football field. 

- DEFENSE 

- After a phenomenal first half, Tre Edmunds somehow managed to step uo his game even more in the second.  Edmunds was an absolute freak on the field.  He was covering ground fast and hitting holes hard, making incredible fundamental tackles one after another.  He was playing with power and aggression and the game finally seemed to slow down for him. 

- For whatever it’s worth, up by 6 with 4 minutes left and no timeouts for the Bills, the Patriots threw the ball twice in a three down set rather than running the clock down. 

FINAL THOUGHTS AND TAKEWAYS 

Some of these may be a bit redundant of things I may have touched on above but this is what I came away with after watching the all-22. 

- Get Cody Ford off of the field.  There’s no reason for Ford to be on the field, especially at right tackle.  He’s an absolute liability and he has no business trying to keep up with speed rushers around the edge.  Pitiful performance.  Let him develop in practice, but he has no reason to be on the field during a game as of right now. 

- TJ Yeldon, with or without Devin Singletary, needs more snaps in the passing game.  He was a strong change of pace for us in the second half and made quite a few big plays.  It was a shame that he had a few fumble against the Bengals, but he’s better than that and he’s a real weapon in the passing game. 

- Tremaine Edmunds is a star in the making.  End of story.  No ifs, ands or buts, Edmunds will be great one day and he certainly was on Sunday. 

- Josh Allen had a horrible first half.  He had no composure and we saw him revert to bad habits.  Terrible footwork, poor accuracy, running at the first sense of pressure and worst of all, he had no poise.  It was a tail of two halves though, and I’m not sure he deserves the amount of doubt he’s getting.  The amount of criticism?  That’s a different story, he played an awful game and need to be held accountable.  The amount of doubt?  Certainly not.  With a better game plan and stronger pass blocking, Allen was slowly starting to pull it together in the second half.  He was starting to get the ball out faster and get it out with accuracy.  I’m not sure he completes the comeback, but we had a better chance with him on the field than without him.  The sky isn’t falling.   One bad half doesn’t need to ruin what’s otherwise been an impressive amount of development from the rest of his season.  However, I am truly concerned about the deep accuracy. 

- This defense is top 3 in the NFL.  The pass rush took a huge step forward and the secondary played lights out.  Ed Oliver truly made his presence felt that game and so did Tremaine Edmunds.  

- Believe it or not, the Patriots struggled with us.  Brady was inconsistent and made throws that he normally doesn’t make.  The rush defense held their backfield intact.  Daboll made successful adjustments at halftime that were working very well until Allen got hurt.  This team is fine, and this team is legitimate.  It was a poor showing against the best time in the NFL, and even with that poor showing, they still struggled against us. 

- I have confidence in Matt Barkley as a game manager.  We can win with him if our defense is stout and our gameplan is strong.  I think the best way to support Barkley is something very similar to what we saw in the Steelers game last night.  Give him lots of protection with very fast and short throws and let everyone else on the field do the work.  He’s not as strong of a backup as a lot of people seem to think he is.  He had a lot of inaccurate throws in his time on the field.

Edited by elijah
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 6

17 minutes ago, elijah said:

Just finished going back and watching the all-22 and figured I’d share some of the things I came away with.  I’m sure I’m not the only one here that watches the all-22 so throw your own takes in here as well..

FIRST HALF: 

- OFFENSE

- Get Cody Ford off the damn field, or atleast slide him inside too guard.  He’s clearly not one of the best five offensive lineman on this team, so if we’re going too to force snaps down his throat then atleast move him to guard where we can hide him as a liability.  He’s too slow to hang with the speed of the pass rushers at this level. 

- Daboll has to recognize the pressure the Patriots are bringing, recognize our offensive line is strong at run blocking and transfer over to the power game.  Let Josh build up slowly.  This won’t be a problem against every team, but when you’re playing the Bill Belichick led Patriots, you’ve got too expect this.  I’ve been impressed throughout the season on Josh’s ability to play in the five wide set, but Belichick was abusing our offensive line and bringing all sorts of pressure.  Early in the game we were getting beat repeatedly in our pass blocking, Daboll could’ve spared Josh the awful first half he had had Daboll seen to transfer to a heavy set running game. 

- Josh, already a deer in headlights, got suffocated by the patriots pass rush and he got suffocated fast and early. 

- Frank still has it.  He’s got to continue to get fed the ball.  Singletary would’ve been a nice change of pace for the offense this week. 

- RPO was working very well for us.  Brown and Beasley were able to get the separation they needed on the slants. 

- Josh looked bad.  He was inaccurate, he was running when there was no pressure, he was forcing passes and his footwork was hectic.  That’s all true.  What isn’t true are the sky is falling hot takes saying that it’s time to move on and he’s made no progress as a player.  It was a rough start to the game, Belichick brought all sorts of pressure and confused a young second year quarterback with one of the best defenses of the decade.  That’s going too happen, Josh is still growing.  It was a rough first half, but he’ll be fine.  

- The biggest concern I have with Josh Allen right now is his ability to connect on the deep ball.  Everything else i believe was a product of Belichick and poor offensive line play and it just spiraled from there.  The deep ball however has been a consistent issue for Josh this year, rather than just a one game thing.  The bonehead decisions are also a problem, but he’s still young and I believe they’ve been happening at a decreasing rate and there’s been improvements so I’m letting them slide for now. 

- It’s no coincidence that the best two drives of the first half, the last two drives with the field goal and the missed field goal, happened to correlate with better pass blocking and a more accurate and composed Josh Allen.  All three of those elements are tied together and will be all season. 

DEFENSE 

- The first quarter was the best quarter of football the defensive line has played all season. 

- Ed Oliver made a difference and made a difference fast. 

- Secondary was playing phenomenal in man coverage. 

- Micah had an unusual blunder for himself on a third down on the touchdown drive for the Pats.  He got caught watching Brady too much and sank to the middle of the field leaving James White open in his zone. 

- Tremaine Edmunds was shedding blocks better and finally playing with a more aggressive pursuit of the ball. 

- Tackling is a problem for this defense and it has been all year.  One of their only problems, but one that can’t be overlooked and needs to be fixed.  The few times that the Patriots actually drove the field on us are easily accredited to poor arm tackles and missed tackles - aside from a Micah Hyde blunder mentioned above, and the Tre White DPI on 4th down.  There were quite a few times that our players got outwilled and ran through.  Very strong game from the D, but it wasn’t all perfect for the defense. 

- Blocked punt is just pure awful. Clearly and obviously outnumbered in the pressure they’re bringing.  Our gunners were uncovered and they just brought the house. It was ugly. 

SECOND HALF 

- OFFENSE 

- Much more efficient game plan to start the half.  Quick passes put less pressure on the offensive line, combined with Belichick oddly backing off a little bit with the pressure that was working before. 

- TJ Yeldon seemed to really emphasize ball security in his increased playing time. 

- We need to settle down on Zay Jones.  I was at the game live and I allowed the crowd to get too me and found myself falling into all of the hate suddenly for the first time.  Zay really didn’t do much wrong in this game and he fell victim to a lot of bad throws coming his way.  Zay can still be a productive third receiver and a part of this team down the stretch.  However, that being said, I also think it’s time to give up on the hope that he’ll ever live to his second round status or match the talent of fellow classmates like JuJu or Cooper Kupp.  Zay isn’t a dead beat like many portray him on this team, but he doesn’t play with second round talent either. 

- Josh was finding himself and settling into a groove right when he got hurt.  The offensive line started holding up a little better and he began to feel more comfortable in the pocket.  A quicker gameplan and a change of pace with TJ Yeldon we’re helping Josh play a better game after the half.  I don’t know if I would be confident enough to say that we win that game with Josh playing all the way through, but I know I wouldn’t have been surprised.  His footwork got more comfortable in the second, his accuracy improved and he looked more poised.  We’ve seen Josh lead a comeback once or twice before as well. 

- Matt Barkley left A LOT of passes on that field.  I have confidence to win with him, especially with the right gameplan and this defense, but he’s not the world beating, cinderella story, backup QB that a lot of fans think we have. 

- The fumble late in the 4th quarter from Barkley was a strip sack from Van Noy, Cody Ford’s assignment.  Get Ford off the football field. 

- DEFENSE 

- After a phenomenal first half, Tre Edmunds somehow managed to step uo his game even more in the second.  Edmunds was an absolute freak on the field.  He was covering ground fast and hitting holes hard, making incredible fundamental tackles one after another.  He was playing with power and aggression and the game finally seemed to slow down for him. 

- For whatever it’s worth, up by 6 with 4 minutes left and no timeouts for the Bills, the Patriots threw the ball twice in a three down set rather than running the clock down. 

FINAL THOUGHTS AND TAKEWAYS 

Some of these may be a bit redundant of things I may have touched on above but this is what I came away with after watching the all-22. 

- Get Cody Ford off of the field.  There’s no reason for Ford to be on the field, especially at right tackle.  He’s an absolute liability and he has no business trying to keep up with speed rushers around the edge.  Pitiful performance.  Let him develop in practice, but he has no reason to be on the field during a game as of right now. 

- TJ Yeldon, with or without Devin Singletary, needs more snaps in the passing game.  He was a strong change of pace for us in the second half and made quite a few big plays.  It was a shame that he had a few fumble against the Bengals, but he’s better than that and he’s a real weapon in the passing game. 

- Tremaine Edmunds is a star in the making.  End of story.  No ifs, ands or buts, Edmunds will be great one day and he certainly was on Sunday. 

- Josh Allen had a horrible first half.  He had no composure and we saw him revert to bad habits.  Terrible footwork, poor accuracy, running at the first sense of pressure and worst of all, he had no poise.  It was a tail of two halves though, and I’m not sure he deserves the amount of doubt he’s getting.  The amount of criticism?  That’s a different story, he played an awful game and need to be held accountable.  The amount of doubt?  Certainly not.  With a better game plan and stronger pass blocking, Allen was slowly starting to pull it together in the second half.  He was starting to get the ball out faster and get it out with accuracy.  I’m not sure he completes the comeback, but we had a better chance with him on the field than without him.  The sky isn’t falling.   One bad half doesn’t need to ruin what’s otherwise been an impressive amount of development from the rest of his season.  However, I am truly concerned about the deep accuracy. 

- This defense is top 3 in the NFL.  The pass rush took a huge step forward and the secondary played lights out.  Ed Oliver truly made his presence felt that game and so did Tremaine Edmunds.  

- Believe it or not, the Patriots struggled with us.  Brady was inconsistent and made throws that he normally doesn’t make.  The rush defense held their backfield intact.  Daboll made successful adjustments at halftime that were working very well until Allen got hurt.  This team is fine, and this team is legitimate.  It was a poor showing against the best time in the NFL, and even with that poor showing, they still struggled against us. 

- I have confidence in Matt Barkley as a game manager.  We can win with him if our defense is stout and our gameplan is strong.  I think the best way to support Barkley is something very similar to what we saw in the Steelers game last night.  Give him lots of protection with very fast and short throws and let everyone else on the field do the work.  He’s not as strong of a backup as a lot of people seem to think he is.  He had a lot of inaccurate throws in his time on the field.

So you're saying Cody Ford has a chance. :)

• Haha (+1) 4

I disagree regarding the tackling.  I thought it was the best the Bills have tackled since McDermott took over.  NFL backs are going to break tackles; that's just a fact of life, but I didn't see many broken tackles on Sunday.

It seems to me this defense has clearly stepped it up from the high level at which they played last year.  Wonder if anyone has any theories as to why.  It's basically the same personnel.  Is it Oliver?  Edmunds's development?  Another year in the system?      

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I disagree regarding the tackling.  I thought it was the best the Bills have tackled since McDermott took over.  NFL backs are going to break tackles; that's just a fact of life, but I didn't see many broken tackles on Sunday.

It seems to me this defense has clearly stepped it up from the high level at which they played last year.  Wonder if anyone has any theories as to why.  It's basically the same personnel.  Is it Oliver?  Edmunds's development?  Another year in the system?      

Edmunds for me. He has turned the corner and allows the defense to get into a ton of different looks. IMO he's the most important piece on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure why, but Bills seem to like to wait until the bye week to make changes to the o-line structure.

Would love to see Ford slide to RG and Feliciano either go into a backup role or move to LG.  Would prefer LG cause I don't feel like Spain is good either.  Spain is more of a liability in pass protection

The problem is, I don't think Nsekhe is much better than Ford

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Edmunds really, really stood out this game in case I didn’t get that point across in the OP lmao. 

But the secondary has played great as well. 

To me its the 1/11th philosophy and just really above average talent at every position on the defense that’s plays together with such strong cohesion.  Hard to beat a unit when everyone’s on the same page. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

The D-line was getting penetration from Oliver and from Jordan Phillips, even Peko was winning his battles, the pulling that NE likes to do was a train wreck and that forced Sony to hesitate and pick different gaps, and this year he was getting wrapped up in the backfield and Edmunds was not waiting for Sony to get to him, he was recognizing run and  hitting the right gap and stuffing him before he could get traction.

The d-line played lights out and the gang tacking was very good, if one guy got a leg there were 3 more bodies flying in to finish it off. Frazier's squad and coaches deserve the kudos they are getting - they were ball'n :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, mannc said:

D. All of the above

Edmunds has really stepped up, really liked what I saw from him.  Our DBs are among the best in the league, not a surprise.

I just wish we had an above average DE/edge across the line from Hughes.  That would be huge.  

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Killed your post

Josh Allen is over 60 percent completion.....right arond 250 pards passing.....is accurate.....and multi threat

He had a bad game....and that is all...

I don't know why you bother responding. He looked bad from the first snap he had. Throwing in stats from other games isn't going to sway anyone who actually watched this game. He is a turnover machine right now and doesn't score nearly enough TDs to negate that. You draft a franchise QB to not look bad in big moments or shrink against good competition, not just put up decent stats against bottom feeders. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Completely agree on Ford. Keep him away from the field. At this point he is awful..... they are forcing him there because they feel the need to justify the pick. It's hurting the football team. 

First of all...Ford is struggling at RT right now...its on the film

That does NOT mean he is a bad pick or a bad football player...he is a very good RG and that is on the film as well....there is not need to "justify" the pick because he will be needed.....we had no idea that Felliciano was going to be this good...we were lucky to get Spain.   Having too many good players at a position is ok.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I don't know why you bother responding. He looked bad from the first snap he had. Throwing in stats from other games isn't going to sway anyone who actually watched this game. He is a turnover machine right now and doesn't score nearly enough TDs to negate that. You draft a franchise QB to not look bad in big moments or shrink against good competition, not just put up decent stats against bottom feeders. 

Because the post is moronic...."already" wtf does that even mean.

In 3 other games he did NOT look like a deer in the headlights.

Stop  being a mook

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That does NOT mean he is a bad pick or a bad football player...he is a very good RG and that is on the film as well....there is not need to "justify" the pick because he will be needed.....we had no idea that Felliciano was going to be this good...we were lucky to get Spain.   Having too many good players at a position is ok.

Stop  being a mook

The previous point was that he didn't get time to build up, that's what the then is for. Try reading it twice before fan boying on every single post. He looked like ***** and we didn't need an All-22 to see, but most of us appreciate the breakdown. He was actually very kind in attributing a lot of that to Daboll. Also, Ford looks ok at RG. He isn't the best we have there and that kind of questions the draft round. They absolutely have to justify drafting someone that nobody else saw as a RT and trying to force him there repeatedly. 

Edited by Trogdor

Just now, Trogdor said:

The previous point was that he didn't get time to build up, that's what the then is for. Try reading it twice before fan boying on every single post. He looked like ***** and we didn't need an All-22 to see, but most of us appreciate the breakdown. He was actually very kind in attributing a lot of that to Daboll. 

I didnt read it that way.....its not about "fanboy"

Its about stating it the way it is.....he had a bad game.

And what is this "most of us" you got a mouse in your pocket?

Glad to read your Oliver statement.  My sense was he had a strong game, but unless you key on him every play while watching it's hard to get a sense of how he did overall.  

It looked like my guy D. Johnson almost had a sack too.  I'd really like to see him get more playing time.

Thanks for the assessment.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The previous point was that he didn't get time to build up, that's what the then is for. Try reading it twice before fan boying on every single post. He looked like ***** and we didn't need an All-22 to see, but most of us appreciate the breakdown. He was actually very kind in attributing a lot of that to Daboll. Also, Ford looks ok at RG. He isn't the best we have there and that kind of questions the draft round. They absolutely have to justify drafting someone that nobody else saw as a RT and trying to force him there repeatedly. 

You should do your resarch

They said they "were going to start him out at RT" do you understand that that means?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Stop  being a mook

On the drive where he calmed down and went 6-6 leading us to the 1st TD the Pats gave up all season, he looked pretty darn good!

I don’t know how he turns out, but he jumped forward from early to late season last year. He looked better yet in the 1st 3 games this year, about 64% I think. Then he had one abysmal half. Belichick will do that to young QB’s. Had he slid on his last play, a 3rd and 8, leaving a 4th and 2, we just might have had another late comeback. 

He’s got a lot to learn, and I’m not 100% in, but I’m fascinated with his ceiling. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1