Cold Front Report: Claims Zay almost traded before season, and on trade block now

Alphadawg7

18 minutes ago, purple haze said:

There is no world Zay is on par with Benjamin last season.  F$&k analytics.  Eye test can tell you that.  What does the All-22 show from yesterday?  Was he open?  Did he have opportunities.  He had three steps on the DB, pass underthrown.  Had a step on the DB, pass overthrown.  Josh makes good throws and the narrative is different today.

I'm not saying the Bills can't upgrade, and I'm sure they will at some point, which means grabbing a 1a to go with Smoke's 1b and Beasley becomes 3.   But the narrative he should be cut is crazy, and more frustration that he isn't playing up to his draft position, than reality based.  He's the third WR, and actually, might be 4th in line with Knox starting to show up.  Bills are 3-1.  Zay is the least of the Bills problems.  Y'all should be posting about that offensive line and pass blocking.  THAT is why the Bills didn't win that game.  But go head and keep  worrying about WR3.  

If he held on to the ball on the pass from Barkley with 10:47 remaining, we win the game. If he breaks up the two interceptions, we win the game. And, wasn't there a halfback pass from John Brown to Zay that he dropped?

I used to really want to see him succeed, but it's time to move on. Throw more to Knox, bring up the Duke and trade/sign a sure-handed receiver.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, purple haze said:

One of the worst?  Nah.  Can be upgraded from?  Yes.  

name 5 worse please.  5 WRs you would not trade Zay for

38.9 catch %, wins zero 50-50 balls, alligator arms, avoids contact, zero football instincts, little if any seperation, makes zero big plays, and seems to choke,  horrible hands.....I could go on....show me 5 worse WR please

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes, I have already said it in another thread... bad QB play or not the other receivers are catching more targets.  Is Zay somehow the only one that QBs can't throw to?

This season so far Zay is at 38.7 catch percent.  Everyone else is above 67% Last season he was at 54.9% second last only to Terrelle Pryor.  The season before 36.5%.  Even Benjamine was at 61.5%.

It doesn't matter how bad the QB play is.  Zay is by far the worst receiver on the team in catch%.  Even worse than Benjamin and that's pathetic.

Lets put this in perspective to drive my point home.  Out of a list of 200 receivers Zay is in the bottom 40 in catch percent.  That low on the list includes a lot of receivers that have only had a couple balls or no balls thrown their way

Catch percentage goes to both QB and receiver.

Opinions on Zay be much more positive if Allen had hit him on either of the two times he was open deep this week.

Zay has had some bad plays, and Josh has had some bad plays involving Zay. They do seem not to be working in sync, for whatever reason.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Good. The sooner he’s gone the sooner this side show can stop.

Tiring hearing the same regurgitated rubbish that a lousey WR3/4 is root cause of Bills offensive woes. 

Please god this. I’m sure the manufactured excuse industry for Allen with churn on after Jones is gone, but at least we won’t have to flog this particular horse corpse anymore.

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This came out last week and a mod sent it to me via direct message as well as a handful of other posters.  Didn't see them get posted here, but found this interesting.  One thing that stood out to me is that this seems to coincide around the time that Zay's parents got all crazy on twitter.  Maybe Zay found out through his agent that a deal was close and thats why his parents were upset?  

Honestly I don't know how accurate this story is as I don't follow the Cold Front to know how credible they are.  But it is interesting the timeline fits for when his parents got weird on social media.  

i hope so and he should be well past the meddling parents age, apparently they need to grow up.

they should have drafted Kupp like i wanted but no way we get him now.

not sure what we could get for him but anything would be better than nothing.

10 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The raiders

I heard AB is available.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Opinions on Zay be much more positive if Allen had hit him on either of the two times he was open deep this week.

Zay has had some bad plays, and Josh has had some bad plays involving Zay. They do seem not to be working in sync, for whatever reason.

Again this is 3 years in a row where Zay catch percent is well lower than the other receivers on the team. Sure part of it is QB but I’m judging against Zays teammates with the same QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

My main thing is he has ZERO run after the catch ability. So when he does catch it, 36%, he is down immediately. 

RAC is huge to me.

Catches with body and not hands a fair amount. No RAC as he often goes down to get ball into body and protect himself. Plus drops. 

I have rooted for him for 3 years but it doesn't seem to be working as expected. 

• Like (+1) 2

What about that ever elusive intangible... being a Winner, or having that "It" factor. I think it's safe to say that he has neither. Spread this icing over his career stats and performance and you have to wonder why he's still on the team. 3 years is plenty long enough to know what kind of player you have and he's certainly had enough opportunities in 3 years to change some minds. Let's bring up the King of New York, I hear he's A # 1. He deserves his chance at any rate.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Interesting how our other receivers have been able to catch it with our other QBs throwing it to them. He does nothing to help out his QBs which is essentially what you want at receiver.

Ive never understood the allegiance to some players. Zay Jones has had way more than enough opportunities to produce for this team. He’s failed at every turn. Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good. It happens! Go get one of the practice squad receivers and move them up. It’s impossible for them to be any worse.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We already know we dont agree here...so not trying to beat a dead horse.  But I have to believe you see why this excuse is pretty weak right?

I mean, isn't Zay catching passes form the same guy that Foster, Brown and Cole are?  As a rookie, Zay was 5th on the team in receiving yards despite starting all season...catching passes from the same guy the other guys above him were.  Year 2, he led the team in yards, only because no other WR started nearly the amount of games he did...Foster technically was active for 13 games, but he really only played in 7...which he nearly doubled Zays yards over those 7 games, and more than doubled Zays yards in the 6 games with Allen.

Allen came back against JAX and looked like a guy who can finally throw.  In the 10 games since then, he has the longest 250 yard game streak since Kelly, Foster has 3 100 yard games, Brown has a 100 yard game and leads the team in all receiving categories, and Cole has a bunch of catches...meanwhile Zay has averaged 33 yards per game during the same 10 game stretch where Allen has been better as a passer.

Why didn't the "garbage" QB play affect the other WRs as much as its supposedly affected Zay then?

Is Teddy kgb your alter ego!?

Just about everyone wanted Tyrod gone, last year was a dumpsterfire at qb, no? And Josh has a 2/1 int to td ratio so far this year. That sucks and that's on Josh. Forgetting about Zay for a second, is what I just wrote not true? Again, if you can forget about Zay for even a second, is my statement not true?

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1

He's terrible. That's all. A lot of people explained this in that massive Zay Jones thread over the summer. He's been on the field a lot and has been targeted a lot but has not produced....and the numbers say that a lot of his production came when the outcome of games were already determined. (I posted all this in that summer thread so not going to put it here again). In terms of what you could get for him, probably someone else's draft bust. Like Dallas just cut Taco Charlton, that's the kind of return you could expect. Honestly I still think trading Zay to the Niners for Solomon Thomas makes the most sense. Zay is probably a good fit in the Shanahan system (though he will still need to learn how to catch) and Thomas has been a massive disappointment and buried on the depth chart, but would be a great replacement for Harrison Phillips, who could also play some end if needed. Both need a change of scenery. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

the kiss of death???

Bills backing Zay Jones despite early struggles

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/01/buffalo-bills-backing-zay-jones-early-struggles/

But despite the early-season struggles, the Bills’ coaching staff is sticking behind Jones. Buffalo head coach Sean McDermott said adjusting to life in a new receiver room with Brown and Cole Beasley could be attributing to Jones’ struggles.

“Offensively, we’ve got eight, nine new players, just in the starting lineup, really, for the most part, give or take. So, as it relates to Zay, and in that, look, there’s getting familiar with, there’s getting comfortable with the offense, the system. He’s had some good plays this year, he’s made some critical catches for us and a couple of games before,” McDermott said. “I expect he’ll bounce back.”

Buffalo offensive coordinator Brian Daboll also expressed Jones might’ve had a chance at doing things better, too. But like McDermott, it doesn’t sound like Jones is going anywhere, any time soon.

“Zay’s worked really hard. There are a couple of plays here that I think I’d like to have back, everybody would like to have back. Zay’s a hard worker. He’s going to keep giving everything he’s got,” Daboll said.

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1