Cold Front Report: Claims Zay almost traded before season, and on trade block now

Alphadawg7

If he gets traded who will be the new whipping boy?

I dont see how its Zays fault that JA threw 2 bad balls his way that were picked(1 would have been a TD if not under thrown), and last week when wide open in the end zone was way over thrown.....  

When looking at the passing game I more worried about leading the league in interceptions while being in the bottom half in attempts with a QB who is second in the league(all positions)in fumbles.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm all for moving him for a flyer on someone else. As a reminder for Zay's year thus far: 4 games, 7 catches, 18 targets, 69 yards

Dante Pettis in SF (3 games, 5 catches, 6 targets, 27 yards, 1 TD)

Breshad Perriman in TB (4 games, 3 catches, 12 targets, 16 yards)

Cordarrelle Patterson in CHI (4 games, 3 catches, 5 targets, 12 yards)

Geronimo Allison in GB (3 games, 8 catches, 11 targets, 76 yards, 2 TD)

Deon Cain in IND (4 games, 3 catches, 11 targets, 45 yards)

Or just call up Duke, I suppose. That could open up getting an underperformer or injury case at another position.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

I dont see how its Zays fault that JA threw 2 bad balls his way that were picked(1 would have been a TD if not under thrown), and last week when wide open in the end zone was way over thrown.....  

When looking at the passing game I more worried about leading the league in interceptions while being in the bottom half in attempts with a QB who is second in the league(all positions)in fumbles.  

Lee Smith or DiMarco

1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

No doubt, Josh needs to clean up his act too. But like I said in another thread, Murph and Tasker were quoting/paraphrasing James Lofton on WGR yesterday, and how he always said it’s his job as a WR to turn into a DB on those bad throws to bail out his QB. 

Pretty much all the former players are saying the same thing...Tasker, Wood and Tucker all mentioned in to some degree or another...

53 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

For his career of 2+ years (35 games) mostly as a starter...he averages less than 3 rec per game and 30 yards with a career catch rate of 46%

...and you think this is only about one game?  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I'd agree with you.   For three years, I've often thought that Jones just doesn't seem to be where the QB is expecting him to be...

On a deep pass the ball is timed to land at a spot. Receiver is supposed to be at that spot at that time. My thought is Zay is not making it to that spot. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I just saw something utterly horrifying. I watched a replay of one of Allen's picks for the first time since Sunday and am gobsmacked by something I hadn't noticed before.

On the play where Josh was a half-second late and underthrew ZJones on the flag route, watch what Zay does at the top of the route.

Not only does he not attack the ball, but when the ball is coming in he actually alters the angle of his route to run AWAY from the ball and the defender.

We are currently starting an NFL WR whose instinct is to run away from the ball in traffic.

I'm not much of a torch and pitchfork guy who calls for guys to be cut out of spite, but if the Bills can get a roll of quarters for him at this point, they should take it and run.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Iamkrgr said:

We're going to get nothing for him. Likely going to get cut. I don't see him having any trade value. Too bad because we could use a long rangy WR type. 

Maybe we move him in a deal for AJ Green but even then I don't see a fit unless we give up a decent pick as well. 

We heard this before the season and we are hearing it now.  You ppl were wrong then and you are wrong now.

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I’d trade him and a low rounder for Emmanuel Sanders who is also rumored to be on the trade block 

That's weird.

I was out for a hike with the dog after work this evening and Emmanuel Sanders was exactly who I was thinking the Bills ought to be making phone calls about.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

For his career of 2+ years (35 games) mostly as a starter...he averages less than 3 rec per game and 30 yards with a career catch rate of 46%

...and you think this is only about one game?  

No not 1 or 2 games in my eyes.  

Last year Zay  was the leader in receptions, receiving yards and receiving TDs.  And this is the guy many cant wait to get rid of?  

Another classic case of, if the bills drafted in later he would be loved.....

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

No not 1 or 2 games in my eyes.  

Last year Zay  was the leader in receptions, receiving yards and receiving TDs.  And this is the guy many cant wait to get rid of?  

Another classic case of, if the bills drafted in later he would be loved.....

Its fun to say "leader" except that doesn't mean he was good, and its actually not really true.  Once Foster was activated he put over 200 more yards than Zay did over the final 7 games.  The only reason Zay "lead" on season totals was because he started the whole year, and even then he put up just 600 something yards in 15 games.  Foster put up 547 yards in the final 7 games alone including 3 100 games, something Zay has not done even once in 35 games.  

By your definition then JP Losman should have been kept forever and was good because he was the Bills "leading" passer one year when we sucked.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2 things I would add in here...

1. Regardless of whether or not passes were catchable or not, there is one clear point...and that is Zay and Allen have no chemistry.  Since Allen returned last year against Jax, they have played 10 games together and Zay has 33 yards or less in 7 of them while guys like Foster and Brown have multiple 100 yard games.
  2. Zay himself said after practice in an interview during one of our camps this year that Josh pulled him aside and said he didn't like how he was running his routes and told him what he wanted him to do.  So we already know that Allen has had to talk to Zay about his route running this off season.  

For whatever reason, Allen and Zay just aren't clicking on the field.  To be fair, Foster and McKenzie have done even less, although at least McKenzie did score a TD on one of his 3 catches.  

Bottom line:  Allen needs more help from his WR's, he cant just keep relying on two small WR's only.  

I'm 1 of those 8 or 9 posters you referred to earlier. I like Zay, but at this point a trade might actually be good on both fronts. I would like to point out though, McKenzie's td reception was a shuffle pass. Practically a hand off. You're right though, it is weird they aren't clicking. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its fun to say "leader" except that doesn't mean he was good, and its actually not really true.  Once Foster was activated he put over 200 more yards than Zay did over the final 7 games.  The only reason Zay "lead" on season totals was because he started the whole year, and even then he put up just 600 something yards in 15 games.  Foster put up 547 yards in the final 7 games alone including 3 100 games, something Zay has not done even once in 35 games.  

By your definition then JP Losman should have been kept forever and was good because he was the Bills "leading" passer one year when we sucked.  

Foster was active for 13 games with less than half of the catches.  Yes, foster had a ton of yards on few catches, no argument there. Foster was a deep threat where zay is a possession receiver. 

How many catches does foster have this year?

IMO zay is far from a super star but he is what he is, a #3 NFL WR. So how bad has he done?

2017 #2 WR in yards

2018 #1 WR in yards

2018 #3 WR in yards

26 minutes ago, Simon said:

I just saw something utterly horrifying. I watched a replay of one of Allen's picks for the first time since Sunday and am gobsmacked by something I hadn't noticed before.

On the play where Josh was a half-second late and underthrew ZJones on the flag route, watch what Zay does at the top of the route.

Not only does he not attack the ball, but when the ball is coming in he actually alters the angle of his route to run AWAY from the ball and the defender.

We are currently starting an NFL WR whose instinct is to run away from the ball in traffic.

I'm not much of a torch and pitchfork guy who calls for guys to be cut out of spite, but if the Bills can get a roll of quarters for him at this point, they should take it and run.

It has more clout coming from you Simon. but i have been all over this. the kid has something broken upstairs or is trying to get released.
 his physical behaviour is just odd . Going back to preseason when he got concussed. he got hit cuz he would not run through the play.
and he has alligatored armed enough to avoid perceived hits coming.

Not a football player.

sorry i have been so harsh for so long.

but still wonder what McBeanes see/saw in him

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I'm 1 of those 8 or 9 posters you referred to earlier. I like Zay, but at this point a trade might actually be good on both fronts. I would like to point out though, McKenzie's td reception was a shuffle pass. Practically a hand off. You're right though, it is weird they aren't clicking. 

Yeah, almost all of McKenzies entire production is essentially a run play for a TD qualified as a reception since Allen tossed the ball 3 inches forward.  

If not for that run counting as a pass on the stat sheet, the 3 WRs have combined 9 rec for 78 yards on the season.  

Allen needs help...badly.   And yes, I know you are one of those posters lol, and its fine you still believe in him, I dont have an issue with that.  I don't, and many others have lost faith...but the one thing we can all agree on, Zay and Allen are not demonstrating any sort of chemistry.  

• Like (+1) 2