The Athletic: Brett Favre’s Advice to Josh Allen

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

I think Josh is closer to Elway. Problem is can he get there?

I agree with the Elway comp...........that's what I see so far.

I do believe there is a good chance they win that game Sunday if Allen is in there at the end...........his ability to extend plays and make plays with his feet is a killer for a tired defense late in games.

Matt Barkley has been a more efficient/accurate passer but as a defense you know where he is going to be and you know you only have to cover so long.  

One 8 second Josh Allen play late in the game can be more exhausting than 3 downs of quick passes from Barkley. 

That was always one of the secrets to Elway's success............he didn't magically get that much better late in games the defenses just got a little bit worse and that's all it took many times.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Brett should personally call Allen

That would be such a blessing for our young gunslinger to know that another legend is in his corner

It might have come to that as he's not listening to his coach! ?

2 hours ago, jletha said:

This play looks so Allen-like its scary....and maybe a bit encouraging lol?

It is!

Edited by london_bills

28 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Wasn't this what Daboll tried to tell Josh in the off season?  I seem to recall an article about Josh's development where he admitted as much.  I just wonder how much longer it will take for Josh to stop reverting to his college form and play the way he's being taught now.  This includes sliding rather than trying to be a big RB.

He needs to start sliding NOW.

No need to dive head first. 

I think he will always have some risk to his play in terms of INTS because of his nature and the fact that he is not the most accurate QB.

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

I think Josh has a higher ceiling. I think Josh is closer to Elway. Problem is can he get there?

Are you parsing the difference between two NFL Hall of fame QBs who ran around and made many mistakes but also many great plays? I would say all three are very similar to each other.

2 hours ago, Heitz said:

Was going to say, he talked about that on Sirius (yesterday maybe..?) and said it was STILL hard to go against his instincts.  Though the $5k did get his attention.  Holmgren said if the game is on the line and there's one play, don't shut down your instincts, go for it - but if it's a random second down, just get down!

I think that everyone underestimates how hard it is to shut down that competitive nature (and, quite frankly, to make good decisions under tons of duress).  I feel like we're always going to see a little hero ball from Josh, but hopefully he'll learn to save himself - might just take a few years...

Josh got knocked out (literally!) on a crucial 3rd and 8. It was game deciding time. I’d rather he have slid and tried a 4th and 2. But I get it, big strong guy, wants to win and prove himself..... It was not a random 2nd down, so I love the heart and hate the decision and more-so the result. 

Time to learn. 

• Like (+1) 2

Outstanding article.

I never realized Farve was so eloquent or cerebral about his career.    His quotes were were just a perfect breakdown of what ails Josh and what he needs to do to overcome his 'hero ball' mentality...

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I would buy a plane ticket for Favre to be here Monday morning so he can spend two weeks with Josh.

Lol!  That's would be a good Bills Mafia fundraiser.    I suspect McD might get pissed if Brett showed up at OBD courtesy of the fans, however.     

Then again, maybe if Daboll endorsed it...

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Favre should tell Allen not to send racy photos to Jenn Sterger's phone.

So funny - I had forgotten that she existed until this thread. Then this evening I was listening to wgr app via my phone app and a commercial came on for a podcast that she apparently co-hosts called “Swings and Misses.” Guess she’s still relevant? 

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

They both have strong arms.  That's where the comparison ends.

Brett's mechanics were much better than Josh's, even in his early years.

Brett had alot of bad footwork in his early days, threw off his back foot plenty

How about , they both play outside their offensive systems , both have amazing escapability for a QB, both could make any throw on the run , and they both have one of the strongest arms in the game

Not too mention they both look like they have a great passion for the game and a winners mentality

It's ALOT more than arm strength

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

They both have strong arms.  That's where the comparison ends.

Brett's mechanics were much better than Josh's, even in his early years.

Favre was every bit as sloppy as Allen is now.

Allen just needs to settle down out there. He isn’t at Wyoming anymore when EVERYTHING was on him. Needs to trust his teammates now to be successful.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So funny - I had forgotten that she existed until this thread. Then this evening I was listening to wgr app via my phone app and a commercial came on for a podcast that she apparently co-hosts called “Swings and Misses.” Guess she’s still relevant? 

She is definitely hot.

• Like (+1) 1