The Athletic: Brett Favre’s Advice to Josh Allen

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, QCity said:

"The change happened once Green Bay Packers coach Mike Holmgren sat Favre down and dispensed a threat to fine him $5,000 every time Favre failed to slide, unless a crucial first down was necessary to win."

Send this snippet to McD.

Was going to say, he talked about that on Sirius (yesterday maybe..?) and said it was STILL hard to go against his instincts.  Though the $5k did get his attention.  Holmgren said if the game is on the line and there's one play, don't shut down your instincts, go for it - but if it's a random second down, just get down!

I think that everyone underestimates how hard it is to shut down that competitive nature (and, quite frankly, to make good decisions under tons of duress).  I feel like we're always going to see a little hero ball from Josh, but hopefully he'll learn to save himself - might just take a few years...

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Brett should personally call Allen

That would be such a blessing for our young gunslinger to know that another legend is in his corner

He should just turn up at Josh's house, and when Allen says "what the hell is Brett Favre doing here?" he can reply "I'm in town to play the Dolphins, you dumb ass."

Allen will just assume he's still concussed

• Haha (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I've said it before: Allen reminds me of a young Favre.  I hope he develops into an old Favre.

I think it's safe to say Josh has .. well .. bigger hands.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

He's obviously right.

Although I have to be honest that it's a little disturbing to realize that Favre is watching Bills games and thinking to himself "Man, that guy is just too reckless with the football."

Yeah. I had a “Whoa!” Moment reading that too. 

17 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

Kelly already had that same conversation w him. Apparently he hasnt gotten it yet. 

Like Favre said in the article, it’s going to take some time for him to realize all of this. 

Josh has always been able to impose his will with the football and it’s different at this level (obviously). He may need to learn it on his own (if he hasn’t already after this game). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

But it was 3rd & 8. JA was trying to get the first down. And in today's game, JA shouldn't have to worry about taking cheap/dirty hits, like Favre had to worry about them back in the day, because back in the day, they were LEGAL.

The NFL owners & front office need to get severe with the penalties for these kinds of vicious hits. And I don't want to hear that "on a different angle it was a good hit by the DB." BullS***! He led with his head...just look at his arms...he made no attempt with his arms or hands to make the tackle, to wrap up JA like you would do in a "form tackle." JA was already slowed by the first guy, so he was ripe to get speared by this cheap & dirty Jack Tatum wannabe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

Kelly already had that same conversation w him. Apparently he hasnt gotten it yet. 

Not just about turnovers but sitting down and talking Football with a legend with a similar play style and passion for the game

A nod in the right direction while keeping him hungry and driven

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

He's obviously right.

Although I have to be honest that it's a little disturbing to realize that Favre is watching Bills games and thinking to himself "Man, that guy is just too reckless with the football."

Well keep in mind it is partly older, less reckless Favre saying what he wished he’d done as his younger self.

57 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

You know that because?

Maybe the conversation he had with Kelly is “yeah, they always told me I had the mindset of a LB.  Nice to see that back in the Bills locker room” and “you got a guy, kid, where you been hiding it this season?  I wanna see you get out and SLING IT”

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QCity said:

"The change happened once Green Bay Packers coach Mike Holmgren sat Favre down and dispensed a threat to fine him $5,000 every time Favre failed to slide, unless a crucial first down was necessary to win."

Thats exactly what our braintrust should do.  Because so far its not sinking in. He thinks its 2018.

42 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

But it was 3rd & 8. JA was trying to get the first down. And in today's game, JA shouldn't have to worry about taking cheap/dirty hits, like Favre had to worry about them back in the day, because back in the day, they were LEGAL.

The NFL owners & front office need to get severe with the penalties for these kinds of vicious hits. And I don't want to hear that "on a different angle it was a good hit by the DB." BullS***! He led with his head...just look at his arms...he made no attempt with his arms or hands to make the tackle, to wrap up JA like you would do in a "form tackle." JA was already slowed by the first guy, so he was ripe to get speared by this cheap & dirty Jack Tatum wannabe.

My SIL has a saying:  “Pedestrians have the right of way.  The Husband is the head of the house.  And if they know what’s good for ‘em, both better be careful how and when they assert those rights”. 

I agree with you that the NFL needs to get severe, but they aren’t.  And even if they are, all it takes is one guy who loses his cool or one freak play.

Headhunters exist, that’s the fact, now the Q for JA is “how are you gonna behave with that knowledge?”

1 hour ago, QCity said:

Well, you might argue that was a pretty crucial 3rd and 8th to keep the drive going and win.  Coach would have to be pretty clear on his definition of “crucial”

The real issue IMHO is Allen learning to take what the D gives him and dink-n-dunk if that’s what it takes.  He needs to take care of the football and not put his team in a hole with stupid INTs, then he won’t need to feel like it’s on his back to dig them out of the hole he put ‘em in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

He's obviously right.

JA is Favre without the passing ability

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The real issue IMHO is Allen learning to take what the D gives him and dink-n-dunk if that’s what it takes.  He needs to take care of the football and not put his team in a hole with stupid INTs, then he won’t need to feel like it’s on his back to dig them out of the hole he put ‘em in.

Wasn't this what Daboll tried to tell Josh in the off season?  I seem to recall an article about Josh's development where he admitted as much.  I just wonder how much longer it will take for Josh to stop reverting to his college form and play the way he's being taught now.  This includes sliding rather than trying to be a big RB.

• Like (+1) 1