The Athletic: Brett Favre’s Advice to Josh Allen

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Or is he thinking this looks like me at 23

This^^^ Probably sees some of his younger self in Allen. Time gives a lot of perspective. A 23 year old Favre would never have said that. Nothing disturbing about it, not one bit. 

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Any luck in your research on Jauron games with going for it twice on fourth and goal?

i've never used the ignore button before but i may have to figure that out. i don't believe i ever mentioned jauron in relation to the offense. i believe i was making a point about conservative d calls.  btw  find some one else to p!$$ off....carry on.

14 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i've never used the ignore button before but i may have to figure that out. i don't believe i ever mentioned jauron in relation to the offense. i believe i was making a point about conservative d calls.  btw  find some one else to p!$$ off....carry on.

If you're gonna say something utterly and incomprehensibly stupid, better be prepared to be called on it.

It's a tough board for tough people.

13 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Are you parsing the difference between two NFL Hall of fame QBs who ran around and made many mistakes but also many great plays? I would say all three are very similar to each other.

I just see Farve as a closer comp to Mike Vick or Jake Plummer. JA has a feel for the game I never saw in Farve. Elway and Allen have more natural talent + mental ability. If JA ever becomes a student of the game he will be better than Farve. JMO. Will he? That's the only question I have with JA.

11 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

They both have strong arms.  That's where the comparison ends.

Brett's mechanics were much better than Josh's, even in his early years.

Not true. Farve had awful footwork his entire career. But where I see them as being different is in the mental aspects of the game. JA and Elway have higher mental ability. A lot of players have the physical but Elway was smarter than most every QB who played in his era. JA has that ability to be a Peyton type field general. Farve had to be controlled and or managed. For his entire career they had to direct Frave. Again JA is off on a lot of throws because he trusts his arm too much but his ceiling is Elway IMO. He just has to put in the work, take the check downs and stop trying to win the game on one throw.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

I just see Farve as a closer comp to Mike Vick or Jake Plummer. JA has a feel for the game I never saw in Farve. Elway and Allen have more natural talent + mental ability. If JA ever becomes a student of the game he will be better than Farve. JMO. Will he? That's the only question I have with JA.

I honestly think that Brett Favre is one of the greatest players to ever play the game. Flawed, sure, but the productivity was incredible. He was on a bunch of mediocre-talent teams that he took very, very far on his right arm. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Brett had alot of bad footwork in his early days, threw off his back foot plenty

How about , they both play outside their offensive systems , both have amazing escapability for a QB, both could make any throw on the run , and they both have one of the strongest arms in the game

Not too mention they both look like they have a great passion for the game and a winners mentality

It's ALOT more than arm strength

Even though they were rumors, I would not have doubted Favre's desire to return to the game. Something that he did so long and was so good at can't just leave him. The desire to compete and believing that he can still do it will never leave him. He would also be a good mentor for Allen.

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I honestly think that Brett Favre is one of the greatest players to ever play the game. Flawed, sure, but the productivity was incredible. He was on a bunch of mediocre-talent teams that he took very, very far on his right arm. 

We don't disagree. Farve is a deserving HOFer. 

I think they're different kind of players. For example, JA doesn't always force the ball where it should not go and get away with it because of his arm. That is what made Farve great. If you watch JA he actually goes to the correct read on the field, (most of the time) he just doesn't get it to the player he's throwing it too. JA is actually a pretty smart reader of defenses and I don't believe Farve was ever a great reader of defenses. JA issue is what's it's always been, accuracy. JA throws are bad but he is throwing them to the correct player on the field 90% of the time. That is not what Farve did. Farve's arm saved his boneheaded mistakes and I haven't seen that same kind of dumb reads with JA on most of his throws.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well keep in mind it is partly older, less reckless Favre saying what he wished he’d done as his younger self.

You know that because?

Maybe the conversation he had with Kelly is “yeah, they always told me I had the mindset of a LB.  Nice to see that back in the Bills locker room” and “you got a guy, kid, where you been hiding it this season?  I wanna see you get out and SLING IT”

Or you could know what your talking about. He specifically said he had that conversation w him when he was on the NFL network. 

24 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

We don't disagree. Farve is a deserving HOFer. 

I think they're different kind of players. For example, JA doesn't always force the ball where it should not go and get away with it because of his arm. That is what made Farve great. If you watch JA he actually goes to the correct read on the field, (most of the time) he just doesn't get it to the player he's throwing it too. JA is actually a pretty smart reader of defenses and I don't believe Farve was ever a great reader of defenses. JA issue is what's it's always been, accuracy. JA throws are bad but he is throwing them to the correct player on the field 90% of the time. That is not what Farve did. Farve's arm saved his boneheaded mistakes and I haven't seen that same kind of dumb reads with JA on most of his throws.

Good take.

18 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I have yet to see Allen make any of the stupendously ridiculously good throws that you'd see Favre make from time to time. 

You don't see most QBs making the throws Favre made. Why? Because Favre wsa always behind on his reads and had to make up for that inability to read defenses with his arm. Most QBs who are reading defense never make a Favre throw.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:14 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Brett Favre’s Advice to Josh Allen:  “Don’t read TBD-TSW, especially the day after a loss!”

(And don’t even look in P, P, and P...)

It only seems daunting to the uninitiated.

Just put Tibs on ignore and it suddenly becomes an interesting discussion of current events and political philosophy.