The Athletic: Brett Favre’s Advice to Josh Allen

YoloinOhio

The common theme of any athlete in any sport that has beyond the skills needed for that position — point guard, center, quarterback, kicker — it’s kind of a blessing and a curse,” Favre said from his Chevy pickup truck in Hattiesburg, Miss.

“The blessing is that you’re gifted with a tremendous amount of talent, more so than the guy next to you. The curse is you almost don’t know your limitations or don’t feel like you have any. You can throw it through anything. … It’s a humbling experience.”

From a coach’s standpoint, they’re going to have to demand that he not play as reckless as he has,” Favre said.

“What I would tell him, from a physical standpoint is, ‘Hey, Josh. I get it. I see you diving and running over people. I was that guy, too. But listen, man. Take it from a guy who’s played a long time and learned maybe later than I should’ve, there’s a time and place when you try for extra yards. That wasn’t it. You’ve got to be smarter.’

“Now, he’ll say, ‘You’re right, Brett. I know.’ But it may take a few more hits before he goes, ‘You know, Brett really is right.’ ”

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 11

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

He's obviously right.

Although I have to be honest that it's a little disturbing to realize that Favre is watching Bills games and thinking to himself "Man, that guy is just too reckless with the football."

Or is he thinking this looks like me at 23

• Like (+1) 6

This was spot on by Brett Farve.  I think he sees a lot of himself in Allen, I mean Allen has all the same arm talent as Brett and is more athletic.  

I have no doubt Josh will have seen this, I am sure someone will have shared it with him.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

He's obviously right.

Although I have to be honest that it's a little disturbing to realize that Favre is watching Bills games and thinking to himself "Man, that guy is just too reckless with the football."

In years 3-6 of his career (not including his rookie season, in which he didn't play), he threw 145 TDs (36 per season on average) to 56 INTs (14 on averge). 

32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Brett should personally call Allen

That would be such a blessing for our young gunslinger to know that another legend is in his corner

I think the the tweet shows that he is in his corner and cares.

In Josh’s mind it was the biggest game he’s ever been in.

Not getting the first down there is fine. Early in the 4th, punt pin them deep. D will get the ball back. That needs to be his mindset.

Taking a sack on 1st down is fine, you don’t have to run around. No ints. He’ll get it....

• Like (+1) 1

"The change happened once Green Bay Packers coach Mike Holmgren sat Favre down and dispensed a threat to fine him $5,000 every time Favre failed to slide, unless a crucial first down was necessary to win."

Send this snippet to McD.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1