Which team foolishly trades NE a top WR this year? AND should the Bills outbid them to avoid this (and help themselves)?

With the Bills defense showing that they are for real, and with NE being thin at WR with questions swirling about that group, and a 42 year old QB that according to the PatsFans board "looked 62 out there" Sunday, the timing seems right for a late season NE collapse and the Bills to possibly have a shot at the division. 

BUT

We know how this goes: some dumb team will try to save NE by trading them a top WR for a 3rd round pick, or something similar. 

2 issues:

1) Which team/WR will have this honor in 2019? The Raiders TRIED but it didn't work out. Someone else will pick up the slack. I could see Arizona (Fitzgerald) or Cincinnati (Green) being the top candidates for this. Perhaps Minnesota as well.

2) Should the Bills outbid NE by a round both to improve their team AND hurt the competition? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Absolutely not. For starters, our WR group is fine. We already have the exact type of receivers Josh needs to succeed (i.e. quick, shifty guys who know how to get open so he doesn't have to make as many anticipation throws or always throw with precision). Zay is a problem but Foster can step in if things don't improve. 

Also, we don't really know whether Josh is going to work out at this stage. We hope he will. Many believe he will, but we don't know for sure. You don't trade high draft picks to go get that one last guy until you're sure you have the right infrastructure in place. We might need to trade for a QB in the off season for all we know. Let's give this team more time to show their true colours before mortgaging our future to pay for a present that might not be realistic. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Trade?!  My understanding was each team in the AFC was mandated to gift a WR to the NEP by the trade deadline.

Plus how many compensatory draft picks due to the other teams’ failure to gift said WRs by close of training camp? 

39 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

With the Bills defense showing that they are for real, and with NE being thin at WR with questions swirling about that group, and a 42 year old QB that according to the PatsFans board "looked 62 out there" Sunday, the timing seems right for a late season NE collapse and the Bills to possibly have a shot at the division. 

BUT

We know how this goes: some dumb team will try to save NE by trading them a top WR for a 3rd round pick, or something similar. 

2 issues:

1) Which team/WR will have this honor in 2019? The Raiders TRIED but it didn't work out. Someone else will pick up the slack. I could see Arizona (Fitzgerald) or Cincinnati (Green) being the top candidates for this. Perhaps Minnesota as well.

2) Should the Bills outbid NE by a round both to improve their team AND hurt the competition? 

AJ Green has been hurt all year.  

41 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I wouldn’t outbid them. Pats window is closing ours is opening. 

Also they can have all the wide wrs they want. Brady doesn’t have the time or arm to throw the ball past 10 yards outside the numbers. 

Completely agree...let time be the Patriots downfall...yes they have a ridiculous defense but their offense is finally failing. All 16 pts were off turnovers. If they have to go 75 yards we might shut them out?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Knee jerk reaction alert. Brady will be back to putting up points next week since he won't be playing our D. 

That wasn't an off day for Brady, that's a shutdown defense doing it's thing.

Yes, and as some predicted, the Bills did shut down Brady. He will probably respond with a couple of big games against lesser defenses. Back to business as usual.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Knee jerk reaction alert. Brady will be back to putting up points next week since he won't be playing our D. 

That wasn't an off day for Brady, that's a shutdown defense doing it's thing.

This is more likely than not the case. Our defense is that good! I agree, Brady will be back to his old self against Washington. They might put up 50. 

And I don’t believe that it would be a good move to try to outbid them for a wide receiver particularly just to prevent them from getting one. We have to keep building our team the way we have been over the last two years. If the bills make it to the postseason this year than it is a successful season. Anything after that is gravy. Let the process go on.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

AJ Green has been hurt all year.  

and is a FA next year....so his price will be lower....high risk but high reward.....certainly beats hoping some 27 year old practice squad player will suddenly make an impact...

The Pats barely squeezed past Kansas City. They won't get away with it again. The Bills may have something to say about it as well.

Just now, wppete said:

We need to throw the ball to Dawson Knox more. 

Absolutely. That was no phantom performance against Cincy.