New England's Pass Defense - Not an excuse for Josh, but an explanation

29 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Pats defense is really good. Allen also had a really bad day. Hopefully he learns and grows from that game. That’s what really matters. 

I agree. BB will expose and take advantage of any flaws or weaknesses.  Josh definitely has some and they got exposed big time.  He seemed to settle down at halftime though.  He had two excellent drives to start the 3rd quarter, but seemed to start regressing on the 3rd drive.  Then BAM!   Failure to slide.

What I’d like to see is Allen come back after the bye more settled.  I can see him working on things.  For example, he started to bail to his right prematurely on one play and he stopped for a beat before bailing again.  I’m sure the coaches are trying to get him to step up into the pocket much more often.  It was there on that play and it’s there a lot in general.  I’ve heard that that’s a tough thing to train yourself to do, but it’s so important.  Allen has got to get over the hump on that, throwing the ball away, sliding, etc.  Maybe a couple weeks to decompress helps with that.  

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t think anyone would argue that New England’s defense is very good. On the flip side, Allen could have played much better than he did, and most of his mistakes were of the unforced variety. While that in itself is to me, encouraging it’s something that only he can decide to change. As a Bills fan, I hope he does. 

What pisses me off is that Belichick teaches his team to cheat until you get caught. Straight out of his mouth when asked about Jones hit on Allen (paraphrasing)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Their defense is really good but we traded up for Allen so we can have a QB that can compete with them.  Allen wasn't that guy on Sunday.  

All 16 of New England's were on turnovers.  10 of those points were on Allen's turnovers.

9, doesn't much matter though. Missed xtra point on first TD.

Offense to offense, Joshes scored more points than Bradys did even with the turnovers.

36 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. At least be consistent. Allen's play was a combination of his own mistakes and the Pats* defense.

So the defense was mostly responsible for making a HOFer look awful; however, the defense had nothing to do with a kid in his 15th NFL game look bad?

Nonsensical

At what point did I say the defense had nothing to do with Allen’s bad game? Find the quote. Don’t worry, I’ll wait.

30 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Your rants against Allen are becoming ridiculously biased and indefensible. Repeating them over and over and over and over...doesn't make them any more accurate.

But, hey, carry on

Did you miss the first 3 weeks where I complimented him and praised the great plays he made? Are you just one of those people that see any form of criticism of Allen as just blind and biased hatred? 

He had a horrible game and deserves his fair share of criticism. Part of it was because of BB and the Pats defense and part of it was his own doing. Which part of this is me being unfair?

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Did you miss the first 3 weeks where I complimented him and praised the great plays he made? Are you just one of those people that see any form of criticism of Allen as just blind and biased hatred? 

He had a horrible game and deserves his fair share of criticism. Part of it was because of BB and the Pats defense and part of it was his own doing. Which part of this is me being unfair?

You can't criticize Allen when he plays poorly. He's obviously on his way to being a franchise QB. 

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I certainly hope so.

I'm not giving up on him but this past game left a bad taste in my mouth....along with the inconsistent play in the first 3 games too.  

Sure, he wasn't very good but I think the Pats top shelf defense plus the mastermind that is Belichick and the huge ???? that I think Daboll is, contributed very very heavily to Joshes struggles on sunday.

That said is why I said his offense still outscored Bradys. 

Bad games happen even to the best of them, Brady on sunday. 

Edited by pop gun

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

You can't criticize Allen when he plays poorly. He's obviously on his way to being a franchise QB. 

It’s maddening. People are just so desperate for his kid to be our franchise QB that it’s tough to always be objective.

He was horrible Sunday. Bills fans were hyping this game up to the moon and were hoping this was going to be Allen’s coming out party for the world to see and he ended up looking like ?

Every week so far we’ve seen some really bad bonehead plays/turnovers and every week people keep saying he’ll learn from it. Well, 4 weeks now and we keep seeing the same things. At what point are we actually allowed to be concerned about his decision making and ball security? I doubt anyone here expected Allen to be tied for the league lead in interceptions 4 weeks into the season. 

I don’t want Allen to fail, far from it actually, and I don’t think his play Sunday means he’s destined to fail. But we can at least be objective about what we’re seeing.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Big Ben - 27-47 1 Int, 3 total points

Miami - 18-39, 4 Ints  Shutout

NYJ - 12-22, 98 yards, 1 int, 0 points.....

Allen made bad mistakes, threw some terrible passes too and looked like little separation and we know Zay can't adjust or fight for a ball (i.e. two ints).

Maybe their defense is pretty good?

A couple points:

1. So he played worse than Big Ben and about the same as Ryan/Fitz, Josh Rosen and Luke Falk. That is the expectation?

2. Eye Test Counts for something - There were some terrible decisions. 

3. The first three games count too and those were not good enough. I can buy this if he was lights out vs other teams and had a tough day vs NE. 

I feel like threads like this are trying to say "there is nothing to see here, he is awesome and supposed to struggle vs NE". We are setting the bar way too low and making justifications for bad play. I am not saying you give up on Josh Allen but just being real that he has a long way to go. Hopefully the coaches and people around him are able to do their job and help him develop. He is still a big project. 

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It’s maddening. People are just so desperate for his kid to be our franchise QB that it’s impossible for some to accept reality.

He was horrible Sunday. Bills fans were hyping this game up to the moon and were hoping this was going to be Allen’s coming out party for the world to see and he ended up looking like ?

Every week so far we’ve seen some really bad bonehead plays/turnovers and every week people keep saying he’ll learn from it. Well, 4 weeks now and we keep seeing the same things. At what point do are we actually allowed to actually criticize or be concerned about his decision making and ball security? I doubt anyone here expected Allen to be tied for the league lead in interceptions 4 weeks into the season. 

I don’t want Allen to fail, far from it actually, and I don’t think his play Sunday means he’s destined to fail. But we can at least be objective about what we’re seeing.

There's no objectivity. 

Allen is 33rd in the NFL in passer rating and people are saying we shouldn't be concerned about his play.

I want him to work out, but the decision making and difficulty he has completing simple passes is beyond frustrating. 

He's not a rookie anymore, regardless how many people want to try and pretend he is. He can't keep making so many boneheaded mistakes every game. 

Edited by jrober38

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Their defense didn’t cause him to under- and overthrow open receivers by 5 yards. Not the first week he’s done that either. 

He also blatantly ignored wide open check-downs to chuck interceptions downfield

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Sure, he wasn't very good but I think the Pats top shelf defense plus the mastermind that is Belichick and the huge ???? that I think Daboll is, contributed very very heavily to Joshes struggles on sunday.

That said is why I said his offense still outscored Bradys. 

Bad games happen even to the best of them, Brady on sunday. 

The Pats defense was great.  They've been essentially great since the last 8-9 games which gives me relief.

I'm putting more blame on Allen then Daboll.  Josh missed open WR, took the wrong read, continues to throw into double coverage and continues to play hero ball....

Yes Brady struggled but he didn't put his team in bad position time after time.

Allen is young, I'm not giving up on him.  But so far this year, he's had inconsistent 3 games and 1 really bad game.

This offense is disappearing on too many stretches.

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I certainly hope so.

I'm not giving up on him but this past game left a bad taste in my mouth....along with the inconsistent play in the first 3 games too.  

i think if you look at the first 3 games as a whole he was pretty darn solid.... he had one really bad int in those games and was fairly efficient. he was spear heading a top ten yardage offense and they were top 5 in redzone %. 

there is no excuse for what he did this last week though. i don't care how good the pass d was. those throws were mind blowingly awful.