New England's Pass Defense - Not an excuse for Josh, but an explanation

Big Ben - 27-47 1 Int, 3 total points

Miami - 18-39, 4 Ints  Shutout

NYJ - 12-22, 98 yards, 1 int, 0 points.....

Allen made bad mistakes, threw some terrible passes too and looked like little separation and we know Zay can't adjust or fight for a ball (i.e. two ints).

Maybe their defense is pretty good?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Big Ben - 27-47 1 Int, 3 total points

Miami - 18-39, 4 Ints  Shutout

NYJ - 12-22, 98 yards, 1 int, 0 points.....

Allen made bad mistakes, threw some terrible passes too and looked like little separation and we know Zay can't adjust or fight for a ball (i.e. two ints).

Maybe their defense is pretty good?

Stop this right now!!!   

We must blame and question Josh in everything  !!!!  

It's Chicken Little Time

that being said .....  F%$#  NE***  

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think anyone would argue that New England’s defense is very good. On the flip side, Allen could have played much better than he did, and most of his mistakes were of the unforced variety. While that in itself is to me, encouraging it’s something that only he can decide to change. As a Bills fan, I hope he does. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, JoPar_v2 said:

Their defense didn’t cause him to under- and overthrow open receivers by 5 yards. Not the first week he’s done that either. 

Josh was off on a lot of throws.                            He almost made Beasley look like Zay Jones!!!!! 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t think anyone would argue that New England’s defense is very good. On the flip side, Allen could have played much better than he did, and most of his mistakes were of the unforced variety. While that in itself is to me, encouraging it’s something that only he can decide to change. As a Bills fan, I hope he does. 

No doubt Josh regressed some.    Too much pressure?  Must Win mindset?      Who knows.... 

• Haha (+1) 1

Their defense being good shouldn’t really excuse our QB from being wildly inaccurate and making horrible decisions. 

if he doesn’t learn from these mistakes then we have a problem.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

NE probably has the best secondary in the league but if we're being honest a lot of the mistakes made on Sunday were self-imposed. It wasn't just the INTs either. Allen was just missing guys both due to inaccuracy and because he was often throwing to the wrong guy when we had other receivers who were wide open. It was just an ugly day. Might be time to move on from this topic. Josh will bounce back eventually.

Edited by VW82

Allen played bad. Patriots defense is good. 

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Their defense is really good but we traded up for Allen so we can have a QB that can compete with them.  Allen wasn't that guy on Sunday.  

All 16 of New England's were on turnovers.  10 of those points were on Allen's turnovers.

Err didn’t they score a TD+PAT (that’s 7 by my math) on a blocked punt?

That's what I said.  Allen was not good.  Daboll didn't help him and just a bad day (just like Brady).

Can you imagine Allen throwing an Int at the goal line, as Brady did (& Barkley appeared to) and the response then?

How about some screens or shovel passes too.  

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

That will happen when you are rushed and confused. 

BB does this to young quarterbacks. That is all it is. 

I am well aware Mr hands      .....  for this you get a brightly polished badge

image.png.ac14a85e0394d126b8d7c15b39318cd1.png

LOL   :beer:

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That's what I said.  Allen was not good.  Daboll didn't help him and just a bad day (just like Brady).

Can you imagine Allen throwing an Int at the goal line, as Brady did (& Barkley appeared to) and the response then?

How about some screens or shovel passes too.  

Daboll needs to get smart with his play calling.   

They have plays that work but he waits too long to implement them!! 

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Their defense being good shouldn’t really excuse our QB from being wildly inaccurate and making horrible decisions. 

if he doesn’t learn from these mistakes then we have a problem.

The horrible decisions have to be fixed, no doubt, but being wildly inaccurate is at least partly explainable by going up against a top defense. It’s not like Brady was lighting it up either.

23 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Their defense didn’t cause him to under- and overthrow open receivers by 5 yards. Not the first week he’s done that either. 

Let play a game.

I start running away from you and you try to hit me in stride while six or seven people who outweigh you try to run into you as hard as they can.

I bet you miss on a couple throws?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I believe a blocked punt is a turnover?

I forgot which TD they missed the extra point.  

Notwithstanding I’m not sure a blocked punt is really a turnover...you said 10 of their points were off Allen turnovers. 7 of their 16 points came off that blocked punt. 16-7=9. If this is too much math I can prolly paint a picture

I think Josh was too amped up and the game was too big a stage for him at this point in his career.  That can be fixed.  I think he also fell victim to a Belichick coached defense, which unfortunately for us and for the league can't be fixed until he retires. 

• Like (+1) 4

Allen needs to take what the defense is giving him and that entails checking down to the RB. Pats played without Hightower and we just needed more positive plays on 1st and 2nd down to avoid 3rd and long. Allen will improve but the question is why wasn’t this noted before halftime - getting Yeldon & Gore out into the flat?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Notwithstanding I’m not sure a blocked punt is really a turnover...you said 10 of their points were off Allen turnovers. 7 of their 16 points came off that blocked punt. 16-7=9. If this is too much math I can prolly paint a picture

I know the math.  I am not sure when the Gostowski missed the PAT.

If it was on the blocked punt, then that's 6 not on Allen.  Then 10 for a TD and FG off of Allen's turnovers.

If it was on the regular TD and not blocked punt...then it's 7 not on Allen.  Then it was 9 with a TD (missed extra point) and FG on Allen.