[Vague Title] Encouraged

I was too emotional to feel this way yesterday, but today I feel like I can view things with a clear head. Going into Sundays game, I gave the Bills a 10% chance to win, given our history against the Pat's. But now I know we can hang with the big boys. In the past, it would take a nearly perfect game to have a chance. We played like trash, and still had a chance to win on the last possession. Please tell me, when was the last time that happened. In years past, that would've been a 56-10 blowout. Rodney Harrison on PFT took notice. Says that he expects them to be very good for a long time. Worth a listen

It was a very rough game to watch. On one hand our defense played brilliantly for the most part. On the other, Allen was pitiful. If we give him credit for our early wins, the he deserves to own up to this loss 100%. His performance was pitiful. Horrible decisions going deep or downfield when shorter routes were open. Any concerns for accuracy, especially on the deep balls reared their ugly heads again. I for one am so tired of "we'll learn from this". It's well past time to begin to show marked improvement in offensive play.

4 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

It was a very rough game to watch. On one hand our defense played brilliantly for the most part. On the other, Allen was pitiful. If we give him credit for our early wins, the he deserves to own up to this loss 100%. His performance was pitiful. Horrible decisions going deep or downfield when shorter routes were open. Any concerns for accuracy, especially on the deep balls reared their ugly heads again. I for one am so tired of "we'll learn from this". It's well past time to begin to show marked improvement in offensive play.

Josh being young and the O having all these new players and Singletary out had a lot to do with the bad play Sunday.

The O line is playing well on run blocking but the pass blocking is still a little weak.

Originally I gave the O till after the bye to see how they will look.  I'm still going with that.

Somehow they need to put up enough to beat the Titans (whoever is the QB) and get to the bye week and regroup.

1 hour ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I was too emotional to feel this way yesterday, but today I feel like I can view things with a clear head. Going into Sundays game, I gave the Bills a 10% chance to win, given our history against the Pat's. But now I know we can hang with the big boys. In the past, it would take a nearly perfect game to have a chance. We played like trash, and still had a chance to win on the last possession. Please tell me, when was the last time that happened. In years past, that would've been a 56-10 blowout. Rodney Harrison on PFT took notice. Says that he expects them to be very good for a long time. Worth a listen

Go to 10:55 in the video box in the lower right (total length is 20:22).  Several videos on the page.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/30/nfl-power-rankings-week-4-fmia-peter-king/

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Our defense played amazing. We can thank them for keeping us in the game.

And the Bills' offense outgained the Pats' while putting up almost 400 yards.

The difference was stupid mistakes and turnovers....(and stupid refs)

I'm just saying we can't discredit the offense as a whole for Allen's poor performance. The OP's point is valid for the offense, too

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know why everyone is so encouraged by "almost" beating the patriots

how many times have we done this in the past? Rex did it in Foxboro. We already knew our defense is amazing. I wanted to come out of the patriots game feeling good about Allen and some of the mistakes he made really didn't give me hope for his future. How many young QB's do we see throwing careless interceptions on 1st downs in the 1st half of a game. 

Edited by dous21

31 minutes ago, dous21 said:

How many young QB's do we see throwing careless interceptions on 1st downs in the 1st half of a game. 

Well actually, a good amount.

This year we've seen Mayfield, Watson, Darnold, Jackson, and also a bunch of veterans make stupid mistakes early on. If you have the time, watching all the games helps put things into perspective. Its hard to do sometimes, but we can't always compare Allen to Mahomes.

Not that we shouldn't be disappointed by Allen's mistakes, but we also shouldn't be too surprised or think it's not normal. The kids needs to learn and improve over the course of this year. 

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Well actually, a good amount.

This year we've seen Mayfield, Watson, Darnold, Jackson, and also a bunch of veterans make stupid mistakes early on. If you have the time, watching all the games helps put things into perspective. Its hard to do sometimes, but we can't always compare Allen to Mahomes.

Not that we shouldn't be disappointed by Allen's mistakes, but we also shouldn't be too surprised or think it's not normal. The kids needs to learn and improve over the course of this year. 

Good point.  BB has made a living on making good to great QB's look bad against his defense.  This could pay off in the long run for Allen, but too early to tell.  They thought that he would take the bait, and he certainly did.  My expectations are actually still up for this year.  I think the Defense is even better than I expected, and I already had high hopes.  I think we go 10-6 this year, and maybe even win a Playoff game.  By next year, with another strong draft, we overtake the PATS.  The gap is smaller than I thought.  People already forget how bad we were last year, and how far we've come in just 1 year.  The 3-0 start, made people go crazy with their expectations. We're still very much on track.  We have a very young team, and if they continue to grow as they are, I can see us beating them in Foxboro come week 16.  Before I thought there was no way, but not anymore. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

People already forget how bad we were last year, and how far we've come in just 1 year.  The 3-0 start, made people go crazy with their expectations. We're still very much on track.  We have a very young team, and if they continue to grow as they are, I can see us beating them in Foxboro come week 16.  Before I thought there was no way, but not anymore. 

Rewatching last year's Bills/Titans game and Allen trying to connect with Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes. It really puts into perspective the improvement on offense.

2 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

On an offense that is almost completely rebuilt?

Playing their 4 regular season game together??

Against a perennial SB contender with possibly the best defense in the league this year???

Oh....OK.....

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

On an offense that is almost completely rebuilt?

Playing their 4 regular season game together??

Against a perennial SB contender with possibly the best defense in the league this year???

Oh....OK.....

I also would like to add, no Devin Singletary.  I know Gore ran great, but Singletary could of given the passing game a big boost.  And who knows, maybe with him back there, Josh throws a couple early check downs to him, or a screen or 2, and it totally changes the tempo of the game.  I know a lot of what if's, but there's a lot of good young talent to be excited about.  No team has a perfect draft, but so far, it looks like Beane hit it out of the park.  Oliver, Metcalf (over Ford) in the 2nd, the rest of the draft the same. 

• Like (+1) 2