Trent Edwards relived

Chicharito

3 minutes ago, Say When... said:

I went to that game, rode my motorcycle from LA to Phoenix, it was like 130 degrees (thats high desert between them cities!).

i remember walking into the stadium with pride, tons of Bills fans all around, got to our seats and it was like the second play? wham! TE down and we get pummeled.

if any of you have been to that stadium, there's a city walk like setup right across the street, bars, restaurants and shops and they were open all night, so adding insult to injury I got absolutely hammered; shots were in the mix and i'm a beer only guy.  I tried to hook my buddy up with this chick (they eventually got together) while dragging her around trying to find him a bouncer intervened, I punched him out, got thrown out of the bar (3 guys literally threw me, my head scraped on the pavement; i deserved it tho) and woke up on the hotel floor with my shirt pulled over my head.  my buddy said he needed the hotel staff to help get me to the room.

the last of my misery?  i had to ride home, hungover as heck, 7 hours in 130 degrees, in the desert and i didnt have a windshield yet (i was too young and cool for that back then).

when i came to my senses a couple of days later i contacted the bar to apologize and pay for my tab that i never closed, they just charged me $75 as they couldn't find it.

F that game, seriously, F it.

anyway - I'm confident JA is not TE in any regard, dumb decisions, yes, but he's fearless and that's already 1000x NOT TE, he'll get it turned around, he's got too many people pulling for him.

Reading this, I flashed back to my 20's.  How did we make it through all of that?

Anyway, I am glad to have 'met' you, and glad to know I wasn't alone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Say When... said:

I went to that game, rode my motorcycle from LA to Phoenix, it was like 130 degrees (thats high desert between them cities!).

i remember walking into the stadium with pride, tons of Bills fans all around, got to our seats and it was like the second play? wham! TE down and we get pummeled.

if any of you have been to that stadium, there's a city walk like setup right across the street, bars, restaurants and shops and they were open all night, so adding insult to injury I got absolutely hammered; shots were in the mix and i'm a beer only guy.  I tried to hook my buddy up with this chick (they eventually got together) while dragging her around trying to find him a bouncer intervened, I punched him out, got thrown out of the bar (3 guys literally threw me, my head scraped on the pavement; i deserved it tho) and woke up on the hotel floor with my shirt pulled over my head.  my buddy said he needed the hotel staff to help get me to the room.

the last of my misery?  i had to ride home, hungover as heck, 7 hours in 130 degrees, in the desert and i didnt have a windshield yet (i was too young and cool for that back then).

when i came to my senses a couple of days later i contacted the bar to apologize and pay for my tab that i never closed, they just charged me $75 as they couldn't find it.

anyway - I'm confident JA is not TE in any regard, dumb decisions, yes, but he's fearless and that's already 1000x NOT TE, he'll get it turned around, he's got too many people pulling for him.

Now that’s how you reply! Good stuff.

33 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

Sitting here thinking about when Trent Edwards got crushed in Arizona years back and how it basically ruined the kid. We all know Josh has the skill set to be the leader of this team . I just hope this hit doesn’t scare the game out of him like it did to Trent.

I think Allen's got more mental toughness than Trent, also he's more skilled which helps. 

I'm so tired of this "Trent was ruined by one hit" argument.

He was never that good.

No passion for the game.

No fire.

The perfect QB for a Jauron-led team.

Josh is the anti-Trent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He had one fluke game after coming back vs a terrible defense, I think the thesis he was ruined is correct

Yea that terrible Ron Rivera San Diego defense that finished middle of the pack for the 2008 season. They weren't terrible.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Anyone throwing the towel in on allen is an idiot.

And that's not really up for debate.

You see it for yourself how many have quit on Allen already.

Me personally, I think the Bills need to shift their coaching philosophy and put more of an emphasis on the ground game, provided Singletary can come back healthy.

The Bills need to create easier blocks for their OL since they are breaking in a million new starters on the OL. 

I hope we have seen THE LAST of empty backfields too. This doesn’t help a young QB in any way.

The Bills might have something in this D. I would hope that McDermott has learned something by trying like heck to keep his D off the field and keeping them fresh as possible, meaning heavy doses of Singletary, Gore and Yeldon (to a lesser extent).

29 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

Sitting here thinking about when Trent Edwards got crushed in Arizona years back and how it basically ruined the kid. We all know Josh has the skill set to be the leader of this team . I just hope this hit doesn’t scare the game out of him like it did to Trent.

Trent Edwards before he got "crushed in Arizona" was exactly the same risk-adverse QB that he was afterwards.  He was a check down artist his entire career who never learned to read defenses, seldom threw downfield, and collapsed against strong defenses.  Edwards' inability to move the ball and especially in the red zone was evident in 2007 when Jauron named him the starter over JP Losman whom Jauron disliked because he took too many risks.  The Bills 2008 4-0 start was largely a function of a schedule that included mediocre/poor teams in the first four games.  Arizona was the first quality defense they faced and popped the Bills balloon.   After their 4-0 start, the Bills went 3-9 the rest of the way.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

If anything, it might make Josh Allen scale back the aggression behind his runs; after all, the hit happened on a scramble, not on a QB blitz like with Trent Edwards.

A person's inner wiring can't be undone so easily (consider JA's tendencies to still force certain passes because his arm strength allows for it). JA has inner toughness, Edwards on the other hand, never epitomized toughness even before the hit. 

Trent Edwards was not ruined.  He got off to a great start in his career (meaning about 5-6 games), until opposing defensive coordinators figured out he was scared to throw downfield.  Teams started pushing up on the short routes, and Edwards simply never adjusted.

This is why early success (or struggles) are not always indicative of how a QB will perform long-term.

When a young/rookie QB enters the league, MOST defensive coordinators respond by sending lots of pressure and blitzing.  Why?   Because the hardest thing for young football players to adjust to is the speed of the professional game.  By increasing pressure, you are multiplying this even more.  Most of the time, this is a great strategy.  However, some young QBs actually respond well to the blitz and find some early success.  As time goes along, defensive coordinators start adjusting and finding strategies that work better for that particular player.  

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Say When... said:

Image result for doc holliday tombstone passes out gif

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

You see it for yourself how many have quit on Allen already.

Me personally, I think the Bills need to shift their coaching philosophy and put more of an emphasis on the ground game, provided Singletary can come back healthy.

The Bills need to create easier blocks for their OL since they are breaking in a million new starters on the OL. 

I hope we have seen THE LAST of empty backfields too. This doesn’t help a young QB in any way.

The Bills might have something in this D. I would hope that McDermott has learned something by trying like heck to keep his D off the field and keeping them fresh as possible, meaning heavy doses of Singletary, Gore and Yeldon (to a lesser extent).

I don't think that many fans are "throwing in the towel" on Allen.  Contrary to the wild homerism rampant on TSW before Sunday, many fans were at least somewhat skeptical of Allen's long term success but didn't try to argue with the idjits predicting Allen would be an MVP candidate, etc.  What Sunday showed was that Allen still has a long way to go yet to become a competent NFL QB, and that's raised doubts in the minds of most fans who aren't blinded by hero-worship and homerism.

I totally agree that the Bills need to run the ball more.  A strong running game is ANY QB's best friend, but especially a young QB.  I was dismayed that the Bills released McCoy to keep Yeldon just to save what amounts to a few dollars.  Gore-McCoy-Singletary would have been infinitely better than Gore-Singletary-Yeldon.  I don't think that the Bills RB corps is good enough for the Bills to be a run first team that would make Allen's on-field life much easier, and that goes double with Singletary injured.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't think that many fans are "throwing in the towel" on Allen.  Contrary to the wild homerism rampant on TSW before Sunday, many fans were at least somewhat skeptical of Allen's long term success but didn't try to argue with the idjits predicting Allen would be an MVP candidate, etc.  What Sunday showed was that Allen still has a long way to go yet to become a competent NFL QB, and that's raised doubts in the minds of most fans who aren't blinded by hero-worship and homerism.

I totally agree that the Bills need to run the ball more.  A strong running game is ANY QB's best friend, but especially a young QB.  I was dismayed that the Bills released McCoy to keep Yeldon just to save what amounts to a few dollars.  Gore-McCoy-Singletary would have been infinitely better than Gore-Singletary-Yeldon.  I don't think that the Bills RB corps is good enough for the Bills to be a run first team that would make Allen's on-field life much easier, and that goes double with Singletary injured.

McCoy's running style and decline is what got him released. Nothing else to see here.

A healthy Singletary is critical to this being a run-heavy offense (Captain Obvious here). With that said, if they have all 3 backs healthy, they have more than enough to be a very strong run team. Plus this strategy will be much more effective for a team that is transitioning a whole new starting OL.