BH13's Q1 QB Efficiency Ratings

48 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

wow, Goff 4.27 YPA....Yikes

2 hours ago, joevan said:

Jared Goff is horrible!

that can't be, how will the Pats*** D hang their hat on being an elite D in the SB last year??!?!?!?

think of the children!

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I have to say, your ranking system almost always holds up to scrutiny. Well done as always.

Has Dak been this high in the past? I feel like he’s been quietly efficient since his rookie campaign but he just gets crucified because he wasn’t “great” the year Zeke missed time.

Thanks! And Dak is an enigma lol. Every year he starts out very high and slowly declines to middle of the pack. He finished 6th in 2016, 16th in 17, and 19th in 18.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don't think he'll have Tyrod or Rodgers like turnover numbers, but week 1 had several unlucky breaks and those tend to even out over the course of a season. 

They do? 

He has 22 TO in 16 games. You mentioned the bad luck in week 1. He also had 3 INT's in week 4. Doesn't feel like it is evening out 

6 INTS and 6 Fumbles (2 lost) this year. 10 career games with 2 or more turn overs. Only 7 career games with 2+ TDs (Rush + Pass). This is a big one...Thrown more than one touchdown in a game twice in his career. Neither this year....

I am cool if he turns into Favre. He has a similar style, and some of the hero ball in him. He has to put up more points with his arm. I don't give a $h*t if he throws 2 INTS every game, but in 2019, you have to be able to toss more than 1.1 TD per game to go along with it. There have been great flashes that get me excited, but it has to stop being a play or two, or just a series at some point. 

38 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

He's a turnover machine, I don't see that ever changing tbh.

This!

I am actually fine with it, but if this is going to be the case, he needs to start putting up more yards and TD's with his arm. 

31 minutes ago, Lagoon Blues said:

This is the comparison that I always keep coming back to for Allen style wise.  Who knows how it will end up shaking out in a couple years though.

Rules favor the QB much more in 2019 than 1993, the best QBs threw as many TDs and they did INTs. We are still holding out hope Allen can clean up his game, 3 home games after the bye will be a huge test.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mango said:

This!

I am actually fine with it, but if this is going to be the case, he needs to start putting up more yards and TD's with his arm. 

Right, he was supposed to be Favre-like. He has the stupid decision throws down pat, but not the scoring.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Rules favor the QB much more in 2019 than 1993, the best QBs threw as many TDs and they did INTs. We are still holding out hope Allen can clean up his game, 3 home games after the bye will be a huge test.

I feel like this gets glossed over way too much, thank you.

Also, I take it that this only tracks lost fumbles? Equally concerning with the run style of play. 

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Pretty cool that  you can see this. Tell me, who do you see as the next QB of the Bills , since Allen will play himself out of the league?

I’m not sure why you’re being condescending towards an opinion that’s the opposite of the opinion that you’re giving. They’re both opinions.

There’s plenty of tape on Josh, dating back to Wyoming, to suggest this is largely who he is. Maybe he cleans up his game a little, maybe he doesn’t. I don’t think he ever will, either. The question is can he continue to progress towards making great plays more consistently?

The good might end up far outweighing the bad but someone suggesting he’s always going to be a gunslinger bordering on reckless isn’t absurd.

Edited by eanyills

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I feel like this gets glossed over way too much, thank you.

Also, I take it that this only tracks lost fumbles? Equally concerning with the run style of play. 

Correct. The ultimate goal there is TD/TO ratio and TO% (based on all touches), so I'm using fumbles lost since they are the turnovers.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

7 hours ago, Mark Long Beach said:

Yeah,  In a small sample size, the elite defenses tend to show up big.

Buffalo:

24-Dalton 

27 Eli 

(no Darnald)

NE:

25 J Allen

33 Ruthlessburger

35 L Falk

36 Fitzpatrick

I omitted Tom Brady at number 4 although it's clear how strong his stats are as we made him have a miserable game against us.

I realize this was a quarter season mark, but have to wonder what the same rankings looked like after week 3. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I realize this was a quarter season mark, but have to wonder what the same rankings looked like after week 3. 

Josh Allen was 19 and Andy Dalton was 20. The others from that post were basically the same since Eli, Ben, Falk, and Fitz didn't play this week.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, eanyills said:

I’m not sure why you’re being condescending towards an opinion that’s the opposite of the opinion that you’re giving. They’re both opinions.

There’s plenty of tape on Josh, dating back to Wyoming, to suggest this is largely who he is. Maybe he cleans up his game a little, maybe he doesn’t. I don’t think he ever will, either. The question is can he continue to progress towards making great plays more consistently?

The good might end up far outweighing the bad but someone suggesting he’s always going to be a gunslinger bordering on reckless isn’t absurd.

What’s condescending about it ? The poster stated an absolute , they “ don’t see it changing “ . Since they can see the future so clearly, I want to know who the future Bills QB is. Curiously, they haven’t responded . You don’t know even what my opinion, is so Ill tell you. My opinion is that nobody knows, obviously including myself. I only know that JA doesn’t appear to be a moron, and probably will understand that lots of turnovers will lead to him being replaced. Also that players can improve especially in areas that are not caused by physical limitations. I don’t claim to be able to “ see” what will happen in the future, so don’t post in absolutes about what lies ahead. If he doesn’t improve , we do know that he will eventually be replaced because that’s how the NFL works. Lastly, when I see a post from someone with a negative “ handle”and a very low post count making extremely negative absolute statements  I recognize them as a “ troll”. You may not have spent enough time on this board to spot them, judging from your own post count. 

12 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Because he doesn’t appear to be a simpleton. He will probably realize that he has to stop the unforced errors or he will be out of the league in short order. Who knows, though? Maybe he’s a dunce. 

Allen is definitely no dunce in terms of intelligence, but intelligence and football IQ are two entirely different things. He hasn't (of yet) demonstrated a great deal of football IQ. He makes up for many of his shortcomings with big plays and the ability to run, but that intelligence will need to translate to an improved football IQ if he's gonna get exponentially better.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Allen is definitely no dunce in terms of intelligence, but intelligence and football IQ are two entirely different things. He hasn't (of yet) demonstrated a great deal of football IQ. He makes up for many of his shortcomings with big plays and the ability to run, but that intelligence will need to translate to an improved football IQ if he's gonna get exponentially better.

Meaningless buzzword. This is simply realizing that if you continue giving the ball away by chucking it up for grabs , you lose your extremely high paying job playing a game. Call it “ football IQ” or whatever you want, but it’s a simple equation that only an idiot wouldn’t understand.  Football IQ is code for “ dumb as a box of rocks, but has great athletic skills running around a field with a ball”. It reminds me of ex Bills D line coach Chuck Dickerson on his WGR radio show years ago. A caller stated that a certain Bills player was just too dumb to play. Dickerson interjected “ No, No, that’s not it! You cannot be too dumb to play football! It doesn’t exist! “. He was absolutely correct. 

39 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Meaningless buzzword. This is simply realizing that if you continue giving the ball away by chucking it up for grabs , you lose your extremely high paying job playing a game. Call it “ football IQ” or whatever you want, but it’s a simple equation that only an idiot wouldn’t understand.  Football IQ is code for “ dumb as a box of rocks, but has great athletic skills running around a field with a ball”. It reminds me of ex Bills D line coach Chuck Dickerson on his WGR radio show years ago. A caller stated that a certain Bills player was just too dumb to play. Dickerson interjected “ No, No, that’s not it! You cannot be too dumb to play football! It doesn’t exist! “. He was absolutely correct. 

MMMMKAY. Josh Allen scored a 37 on his wonderlic so there is empirical evidence that he's a smart guy. Thus far, he has NOT consistently demonstrated the ability to adequately read through progressions and throw the ball at the correct time under the right circumstances. He's also demonstrated some poor situational awareness that would be considered "dumb." Not quite sure how one could not understand the term football IQ. As an aside, I hate the word and most words of this nature bandied about, but it has merit, especially at the QB position. Ryan Fitzpatrick is essentially a genius and I've seen him look like the dumbest human being alive on the football field. Dan Marino is pretty much an idiot, but he was an extremely smart QB independent his elite physical skill. It's not that complicated.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

MMMMKAY. Josh Allen scored a 37 on his wonderlic so there is empirical evidence that he's a smart guy. Thus far, he has NOT consistently demonstrated the ability to adequately read through progressions and throw the ball at the correct time under the right circumstances. He's also demonstrated some poor situational awareness that would be considered "dumb." Not quite sure how one could not understand the term football IQ. As an aside, I hate the word and most words of this nature bandied about, but it has merit, especially at the QB position. Ryan Fitzpatrick is essentially a genius and I've seen him look like the dumbest human being alive on the football field. Dan Marino is pretty much an idiot, but he was an extremely smart QB independent his elite physical skill. It's not that complicated.

Not making it complicated , mmmmmmkay?  I obviously don’t think JA isn’t a smart guy. I also don’t share your crusade about his instincts or football IQ or whatever buzzword you want to use. If he wants to keep his job,  he’ll stop the attempted heroics and realize they aren’t part of a winning style. If he doesn’t, he’ll be gone. I don’t have a burning need to be “ right “ about a player, unlike yourself. I’ll root for him , and if he fails I’ll root for the next guy. Using buzzwords and jargon in an effort to seem superior is lame -O

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not making it complicated , mmmmmmkay?  I obviously don’t think JA isn’t a smart guy. I also don’t share your crusade about his instincts or football IQ or whatever buzzword you want to use. If he wants to keep his job,  he’ll stop the attempted heroics and realize they aren’t part of a winning style. If he doesn’t, he’ll be gone. I don’t have a burning need to be “ right “ about a player, unlike yourself. I’ll root for him , and if he fails I’ll root for the next guy. Using buzzwords and jargon in an effort to seem superior is lame -O

You're making a lot of assumptions here, but that's cool. Enjoy your night.