BH13's Q1 QB Efficiency Ratings

Hey all! As some of you know, I like to track my own efficiency rating for QBs throughout the year. Now that we're through 4 weeks, here's how things have shook out. I only included QBs with 50+ attempts. What do you think? Anything stand out? 

IojQOXF.jpg

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
Vlookup issues...
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Lamar Jackson at 2 and 3 rookies ahead of Allen was surprising. Then again, I also didn’t expect Allen to be so low.

It's mostly due to his (Allen's) turnover % and yards per touch. The order tends to work better as the sample size grows. I suspect the turnovers will come down throughout the season, just as I suspect Lamar's TD% will come down as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's mostly due to his (Allen's) turnover % and yards per touch. The order tends to work better as the sample size grows. I suspect the turnovers will come down throughout the season, just as I suspect Lamar's TD% will come down as well. 

I don’t expect Lamar to continue his pace and throw 40 TDs this year.  Not sure I can say the same about Allen and his turnovers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

wow, Goff 4.27 YPA....Yikes

? I missed a game. Thank you!

Corrected image to follow! 

It was a vlookup error on my part. I double checked everyone's attempts, yards, tds, and ints for this go-around. Goff and Bridgewater seemed to get screwed up. My bad!

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
Explanation

It's not good to play QB for the Miami Dolphins.

Also with a small sample size it hurts to have played the NE Pats.

Serious question - do you factor in junk yardage?  Jackson is very high on the list but the last two weeks he's thrown a couple of TD's and gained a lot of yardage AFTER the game was decided.  Do you take that into consideration or is it just to subjective a parameter to assess?

As an aside I like your system.

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Hey all! As some of you know, I like to track my own efficiency rating for QBs throughout the year. Now that we're through 4 weeks, here's how things have shook out. I only included QBs with 50+ attempts. What do you think? Anything stand out? 

Yeah,  In a small sample size, the elite defenses tend to show up big.

Buffalo:

24-Dalton 

27 Eli 

(no Darnald)

NE:

25 J Allen

33 Ruthlessburger

35 L Falk

36 Fitzpatrick

I omitted Tom Brady at number 4 although it's clear how strong his stats are as we made him have a miserable game against us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's not good to play QB for the Miami Dolphins.

Also with a small sample size it hurts to have played the NE Pats.

Serious question - do you factor in junk yardage?  Jackson is very high on the list but the last two weeks he's thrown a couple of TD's and gained a lot of yardage AFTER the game was decided.  Do you take that into consideration or is it just to subjective a parameter to assess?

As an aside I like your system.

Thanks! To your question, yes. It's all derived from the raw stats and I don't modify them. The final column, which is my part, is based on efficiency stats and not raw numbers, so between that and the fact that every QB has a bit of garbage time I just leave the numbers as is.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

What about Allen makes anyone think the turnovers will come down? I dont have a doubt in my mind Allen is healthily over 20 INTs on the year.

Because he doesn’t appear to be a simpleton. He will probably realize that he has to stop the unforced errors or he will be out of the league in short order. Who knows, though? Maybe he’s a dunce. 

48 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Mariota’s numbers  remind me of Tyrod’s. I’m Probably way of base. 

You’re not. Watching Mariotta play reminds me of watching Tyrod at QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

What about Allen makes anyone think the turnovers will come down? I dont have a doubt in my mind Allen is healthily over 20 INTs on the year.

I don't think he'll have Tyrod or Rodgers like turnover numbers, but week 1 had several unlucky breaks and those tend to even out over the course of a season. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

IojQOXF.jpg

I have to say, your ranking system almost always holds up to scrutiny. Well done as always.

Has Dak been this high in the past? I feel like he’s been quietly efficient since his rookie campaign but he just gets crucified because he wasn’t “great” the year Zeke missed time.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Thanks! To your question, yes. It's all derived from the raw stats and I don't modify them. The final column, which is my part, is based on efficiency stats and not raw numbers, so between that and the fact that every QB has a bit of garbage time I just leave the numbers as is.

Fair enough and in the end it should average out over 16 games.  My sense is that Jackson is benefiting big time from that after 4 games.

As an aside, QB's on good teams may not see as much garbage time yardage/TD's to pad their stats as QB's on teams that get blown out.  But I can't see an easy way to incorporate this data without adding a potential bias.