Why should intent matter for helmet to helmet hits?

I watched Allen get hit by Jones live. It was brutal.  I watched a replay of the Burfict hit.  It was brutal. Outcomes weren't that different.  I am not a mind reader so I don't know either of their intents. And I don't care about.  

I think there is a reasonable analogy to a driver rear ending the car in front of them.  In all places I am aware of if I hit the car in front of me, it is my fault for following too closely. Always.  I am guessing in 99.9% of cars rear ending other cars it is a result of carelessness, not one driver purposely crashing into another driver.  As a driver I am expected to know how to drive and to not be careless. When an accident happens and it is my fault, than I am liable for the damages and subject to fines for following to closely.   No one would want to hear from me "but I did not intend to hit the other car'.   

In the Allen-Jones case, the hit was 100% Jones' fault, intent or not, and he should be held personally liable for it with an ejection, a fine and automatic suspension. 

If Jones or Burfict are actually proven to have intended to harm the person they targeted that is an actual crime called the police should become involved. And arrests should be made. 
I am a long time fan of the NFL.  I like hard hitting. I hate seeing anyone get hurt.  But most injuries are part of the game.  What Jones did this week is not part of the game. It was either an intentional cheap shot, or an avoidable accident brought on by careless and reckless play.  Jones should be held to account for either reason. 

• Like (+1) 7

Jones 100% intended to hit Allen helmet to helmet. His body language before during and after the hit clearly display Jones’ intent. Jones is another safety in the line of dirty players that Belichick has trotted out there. Rodney Harrison was a notorious head hunting cheap shot guy. People said he intimidated his opponents, he sure did. Same way Jones just did. One thing is for sure, Jones now has a bullseye on him. I hope it impacts his ability to play. Makes him second guess himself. This would be a little justice for Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

I wanna be biased and say the hit was intentional because I absolutely hate the Pats, but after watching it again last night from multiple angles, you can clearly see he was trying to put his shoulder pads into Josh.  JA needs to learn when and how to fight for a first down.  Josh needs to be a QB, not a RB!

• Like (+1) 1

Bad things happen man. Allen was trying to get the first down. Jones was trying to keep him from getting the first down. I can't say for sure it was anything other than that. If anything Allen was the one leading with his head. (I really hate saying that). The Burfict deal was obviously nothing but a cheap head hunting shot and he should never play in the NFL again. The guy was on his freaking knees when he got hit. JMO and if yours is different that's OK.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree that intent shouldn’t be part of the equation - and I don’t think that it is as far as the rules.  When a player lowered the crown of their helmet and uses it as a weapon to attack another player’s head then it should be a penalty.  The one issue I have arose last night when a Bengal was given a 15 yard penalty for it though.  The offensive player had done the same thing and wasn’t penalized.  Both planners led with the crowns of their helmets and connected with force.  Should’ve been penalties on both IMO, but I never see it called for an offensive player. 

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

How does an offense retaliate?  Defense has the hitters, offense has the hittees.

Throw it to Rambo on Jones’ side of the field. A couple doses of Hard Knox and he’ll think twice about going after Josh the next time.

Edited by Bufflow4

To your point, helmet to helmet is a penalty regardless of intent.  It was appropriately called that way.  Ejection and suspension are reserved for when intent to injure is clear.

Burfict lined up on an immobile player getting up from the ground.  There was no motion of the player, change of direction, or need to lay a big hit.  Burfict had at least 4 steps to make a decision on how we was going to hit the not moving target and he chose to accelerate and throw all of his body weight behind the crown of his helmet.  It was not a football play, clearly intentional, time to correct, and a play that few others in the league would make.

Jones was involved in a very fast play where a runner was fighting for a first on third down.  This was an important play that any safety (including Hyde and Poyer) should attempt to make.  Like any good safety he was aiming to get a hit on the runner hoping for either a stop, fumble, or at least a reminder to stay away from his part of the field.  In the brief period of time after he committed to his angle, the runner's path was first voluntarily changed, and then was altered further by the hit from another defender.  The speed of these two changes allowed no window for the safety to correct his path.  From the safety's perspective it was a glancing blow on the head and he followed through with his shoulder as intended.  Like most other defensive players that feel they made a big stop he immediately popped up and celebrated. 

The hit on Allen is not unusual to him, plays like like that happen every week.  The difference of a couple inches turns it from a big play that we cheer and watch a game for into what the result was.  If it were any player other than Allen it would be a non issue for everybody.  The excitement with the way Allen runs does expose him to the possibility of taking a big hit.  Either we're ok with that playstyle or we're not.  I don't want to see football where the quarterback gets special rules everywhere on the field.

19 minutes ago, Bufflow4 said:

Throw it to Rambo Knox on Jones’ side of the field. A couple doses of Hard Knox and he’ll think twice about going after Josh the next time.

I like this idea for many reasons.   Dump off passes to big tight ends should be the kind of play that is called much more often than it has been. It’s usually good for a few yards, and it should be an easy play for a QB. The big tight ends can intimidate the DBs. Does anybody remember Gronk?  A Bill wouldn’t get away with a cheap shot, but a few good hits should be a possibility.

• Like (+1) 1

Helmets collide on almost all plays in football

you are only concerned when someone gets hurt bad or someone is in full stride and delivers it or a player on your team gets hit in any way at all

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I wanna be biased and say the hit was intentional because I absolutely hate the Pats, but after watching it again last night from multiple angles, you can clearly see he was trying to put his shoulder pads into Josh.  JA needs to learn when and how to fight for a first down.  Josh needs to be a QB, not a RB!

Yes Josh Allen in the 4th quarter down 6 points on 3rd and 8 should just slide and avoid getting hit.  I mean c'mon, what is going on around here?  

It was a 100% appropriate time to take a risk.  I've watched it back too - that's the exact play they want out of the NFL.  Helmet to helmet and the shoulder to helmet hits. 

• Like (+1) 1

I watched both hits & the only thing different that i could see was when Burfict was on his way in he lowered his helmet & used the crown to hit the other player which looked pretty intentional to me !

On the hit with Josh it looked as if the guy was trying to hit him with his shoulder & Josh lowered his head for the impact & also due to the angle that the first tackler was pushing him their heads collided i was surprised to see the other player walk away it was a pretty hard hit .

I'm not happy with the out come & think the Pats player could be fined for it but the Burfict hit looks as if he was head hunting & the other i can't say that, that was his intention JMO !! 

Because speed of the game on it's own causes helmet to helmet contact.  Also the slightest adjustments from all those involved in a tackle can result in helmet to helmet contact.  If helmet to helmet contact only resulted from 'intent' then there would be no need for helmets in the first place.