Jim Kubiak Analysis of Allen against Pats

Casey D

The article linked on the front page today is really excellent.  Explains nicely what happened to Allen on Sunday, and really why Belichick has been tormenting the Bills since SB 25.  It also gives me hope that Allen will be fine, as Belichick is the master of effing with the minds of young QBs.  Hopefully, long term, this game will be a blessing, as it shows a young team that it has not yet arrived.  If they had won, they might think they are better than they are.  Hopefully this painful loss turns into a "no pain no gain " situation.

I agree that a loss will typically leave players wanting to learn what happened more than a win. 

Belichick is a great schemer. He believes focusing on one thing and making a team beat you with something else. On Sunday with Singletary out Belichick wanted to make Allen beat him. Allen was over emotional for the first two plus quarters. It happens. Allen is going to play NE another 25-30 times hopefully, the nerves will go away.

Allen will learn from this as will a lot of the younger guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I agree that a loss will typically leave players wanting to learn what happened more than a win. 

Belichick is a great schemer. He believes focusing on one thing and making a team beat you with something else. On Sunday with Singletary out Belichick wanted to make Allen beat him. Allen was over emotional for the first two plus quarters. It happens. Allen is going to play NE another 25-30 times hopefully, the nerves will go away.

Allen will learn from this as will a lot of the younger guys. 

Yep.  I've been a litigator for over 25 years, and while winning is great, losing is terrible and the feeling stays with you much longer.  The best thing about winning is avoiding the pain of losing.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't have a chance to read the article but I think Josh has to do less forcing of the football to his receivers (with a free being an exception). Most of the interceptions have occurred because Josh was doing just that.  Maybe the Pats* disguised a lot of coverages but it has looked like the receivers don't have adequate separation from the defensive players covering them.    Of course Josh didn't get any help on two of the picks thrown Z Jones way.  

1 hour ago, Casey D said:

The article linked on the front page today is really excellent.  Explains nicely what happened to Allen on Sunday, and really why Belichick has been tormenting the Bills since SB 25.  It also gives me hope that Allen will be fine, as Belichick is the master of effing with the minds of young QBs.  Hopefully, long term, this game will be a blessing, as it shows a young team that it has not yet arrived.  If they had won, they might think they are better than they are.  Hopefully this painful loss turns into a "no pain no gain " situation.

I agree i think this will be a great lesson for Josh in particular going forward ! He came out way to hyped wanting to whoop up on them & it hurt him if he would have just took what they gave him instead of trying to go big it could have made a difference .

Even given all that played out they were still right there at the end & football being a game of just a couple of plays that change the out come that's all it took in this one & that's was the difference .

I think it will be different next go round !! GO BILLS !! 

Allen is a ballsy gamer....he wanted to take down Goliath with his arm and the big play...this is what I love and at the same time hate about Allen....nothing changes for me in Allen after that game....he will continue to be an exciting qb and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Edited by zevo
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

So is the book out now on Josh? Can he learn to not allow whatever BB threw at him not to give him fits again? Cause he WILL see it, or at least a version of it, again. Probably as soon as his first game back.

I really dont think so, It was pretty obvious you couldn't let Allen run, why Miami in particular last year let him do it was beyond me, keep contain is exactly what they did.  NE has a tremendous secondary also has very versatile players which allows them great flexibility.

5 minutes ago, StHustle said:

So is the book out now on Josh? Can he learn to not allow whatever BB threw at him not to give him fits again? Cause he WILL see it, or at least a version of it, again. Probably as soon as his first game back.

BB blitzed more than prior teams, but he wasn't doing that much differently.  Its just the Pats have the #1 defense, and the secondary to pull off a cover-0 defense.  It is not as simple as the "book is out"

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

BB blitzed more than prior teams, but he wasn't doing that much differently.  Its just the Pats have the #1 defense, and the secondary to pull off a cover-0 defense.  It is not as simple as the "book is out"

Reading the article, it also seems like BB gave him some very confusing front looks, that made him somewhat confused and uncomfortable.  The video with Dabol yelling at him to "use his head" was insightful on what happened.

Just now, Casey D said:

Reading the article, it also seems like BB gave him some very confusing front looks, that made him somewhat confused and uncomfortable.  The video with Dabol yelling at him to "use his head" was insightful on what happened.

I can't read the article because of the pay wall.  What I can say is I am aware of BB's amoeba front, which is especially difficult. But it is sort of like lining up the LBs in the a-gap and simulating pressure.  We have been blitzed a ton this year, but Allen has been able to find open guys/escape pressure. The Pats just happen to have Jamie Collins, one of the most athletic LBs in the league, who can chase JA down in a way no one else can.  

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I can't read the article because of the pay wall.  What I can say is I am aware of BB's amoeba front, which is especially difficult. But it is sort of like lining up the LBs in the a-gap and simulating pressure.  We have been blitzed a ton this year, but Allen has been able to find open guys/escape pressure. The Pats just happen to have Jamie Collins, one of the most athletic LBs in the league, who can chase JA down in a way no one else can.  

That's exactly what the article was talking about.  Another point brought up in a different thread was that Allen never rolled left, which is something that BB also game planned for.

I read that article this morning too, and I agree that it was excellent (as usual).  In a nutshell, Allen got confused by the defense and proceeded to get rattled and tried to do too much.  Overall, I take that as relatively encouraging -- this isn't the first time that Belichick has done this to a young QB.  Actually Belichick does this to literally every young QB.  We'll be fine.  

Edited by BillsFanSD

7 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

…. -- this isn't the first time that Belichick has done this to a young QB.  Actually Belichick does this to literally every young QB.  We'll be fine.  

The follow-up question is how many of those young QBs who wilted under that pressure emerged to become successful QBs?

27 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I wouldn’t say the book is out on Allen. He was terrible against the Pats last season too and all he did was come back to play his best football after that... until he played the pats again! You need the personnel and scheme to do what they do on defense 

Allen took a beating and lost some of the goodwill he had earned so far up to this year but he will be fine.  He's a gamer, he's intelligent and he'll learn from it.

With that said, the game is moving very fast for him mentally when blitzed and he's got to learn to calm himself and make better pre snap reads and trust what he sees.  Right now when blitzed everything is moving a million miles per hour for him and he isn't seeing anything, even when something is there.  He'll overcome it but it is a significant hurdle for him to overcome and expect to continue to see defenses throw the kitchen sink at him until he does.