Roughing the passer rules

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/roughing-the-passer/

I think the key word used repeatedly is forcibly. Meaning incidental contact to head or facemask is not a penalty even when it is the QB. I think in years past they would have called a flag, but I think this year they seem to be letting the incidental contact go. 

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/roughing-the-passer/

I think the key word used repeatedly is forcibly. Meaning incidental contact to head or facemask is not a penalty even when it is the QB. I think in years past they would have called a flag, but I think this year they seem to be letting the incidental contact go. 

Correct, he was a running back. Furthermore he chose to take on tacklers by initiating contact. Simply put,  he did his best to make a first down and the Patriots DBs did their best not to give up a first. 

• Like (+1) 1

OP is talking about a different play than the replies.  Josh got lightly face masked whil in the pocket and it didn't get called.  

It is an area of the rule book that is enforced differently based on market size, team logo and whether your name is Brady.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Look, I been on here the last couple days pointing out things the Pats did in this game and others that were not sportsmanlike. That play with the graze of the face mask wasn’t a penalty. To me we cross the line sounding like whiners. There was one pressure on Brady where our player actually tackled him, and the refs didn’t call anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

He wasn't a passer, he was a running back at the time when he got hit.

don’t let facts get in the way

If he wants to stand straight up when two DBs approach, the fool will be out of football very shortly

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Look, I been on here the last couple days pointing out things the Pats did in this game and others that were not sportsmanlike. That play with the graze of the face mask wasn’t a penalty. To me we cross the line sounding like whiners. There was one pressure on Brady where our player actually tackled him, and the refs didn’t call anything. 

Are you talking about the play where Oliver got to him and brought Brady down on top of himself? Yeah that’s not a penalty

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm posting about the rules for contact to QB head that wasn't called. Not the concussion hit. That was helmet to helmet and a penalty. I'm just trying to understand and clarify the fact no flag was called on facemask on drive before the half.  And that was the correct call.

Make-up for the more blatant facemask the Bills put on the Pats runner, which we got to watch 15 times on the pointless challenge