Woodworking

Dr Krentist

Any woodworkers here? I'm thinking about getting started. I've made a couple of crude boxes and that's it. I use my dad's jig saw and drill from the 1970s. What tools should I start with? I'm not looking to seriously get into it like building tables or other furniture. Just probably going to be casual and stick with small things. I'm going to get a workbench. I'm going to upgrade the jig saw and drill. I'll might get a power sander. Haven't decided if I need a table saw or circular saw yet. Any recommendations on brands? Just like everyone, I want something affordable and reliable.

This is the workbench I'm thinking of getting: https://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Multi-Function-Sawhorse-Clamps-Holding/dp/B01HREBZ3M/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WHM2BB1NM5NXQ3SGWJSY

I am into woodworking and am slowly trying to get the time to organize my garage to get a shop set up so I can do alot more. I've built bookcases on my porch and in the basement because it's where I had space. Even built an Arbour type thing for my wedding a few nights before in my basement for the reception.

It all depends on what you are looking to do and build. If you want to build furniture like tables and benches and bookcases, bigger tools like table saws and compound miter saws are good ones. If you plan on just building smaller things like shelves or jewellery boxes or other littler more detailed things, scroll saw, drill press and table top disc/belt sander are good choices. It also depends on how elaborate you plan on getting. A router with a table is a good one to have eventually if you want nicer edges for things.

Best bet to start is (as said above) look in the local classified ads online, you can get some good stuff for cheap at estate sales, or from people who bought them and then decided they didn't need it and it's been collecting dust. I bought a table saw, planner, joiner and a few other older heavy duty tools cheap from local online classifieds that I would have never bought if I had to pay full price for.

It's also good to have a good set of the basic hand tools in the shop (and lots of clamps) because sometimes it's just better to take a few extra minutes to do something by hand then use a power tool.

I have always liked building furniture and have been trying to get into building wooden toys for years. Ever since I was a kid I have loved going to craft shows and checking out wooden cars and trucks so I have been starting to collect plans and hope to soon get my shop set up to build them

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

First lesson:

Figure this out.

https://www.lorettochapel.com/info/staircase

Stair-About-Us.jpg

Sorry... I am being a jerk again.  LoL... But this is an amazing story.  The top woodworking project of all time!

What's incredible with that is there's no central post for support like most spiral staircases so this would take alot of engineering and design to make it support itself and the weight of people walking on it.

As for spiral stairs, they look cool but most places they won't pass codes and be permitted where ever a stairway is required. (Some places may let you get away with them for a secondary stairwell)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

What's incredible with that is there's no central post for support like most spiral staircases so this would take alot of engineering and design to make it support itself and the weight of people walking on it.

As for spiral stairs, they look cool but most places they won't pass codes and be permitted where ever a stairway is required. (Some places may let you get away with them for a secondary stairwell)

God has no building codes!  Jesus is his Jewish carpenter! LoL...

It's like working for the government and dealing with the EPA or OSHA.

CC:

@mead107

@BringBackFergy

@Cripple Creek 

Shop Steward:

@Gugny

14 hours ago, Dr Krentist said:

Any woodworkers here? I'm thinking about getting started. I've made a couple of crude boxes and that's it. I use my dad's jig saw and drill from the 1970s. What tools should I start with? I'm not looking to seriously get into it like building tables or other furniture. Just probably going to be casual and stick with small things. I'm going to get a workbench. I'm going to upgrade the jig saw and drill. I'll might get a power sander. Haven't decided if I need a table saw or circular saw yet. Any recommendations on brands? Just like everyone, I want something affordable and reliable.

This is the workbench I'm thinking of getting: https://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Multi-Function-Sawhorse-Clamps-Holding/dp/B01HREBZ3M/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WHM2BB1NM5NXQ3SGWJSY

You'll have a good time with it. It's not something that you learn quick and I still make many, many mistakes. 

I'd suggest one of your first purchases should be a set of Lithium Ion tools. Get the set that has the impact driver, screw driver and the circular saw. 18 volt or the 20 volt are the best. If you quit woodworking you'll still have all the tools for other things.

Next, go to YouTube and watch a few videos on "making your own workbench".  You don't need to make anything fancy but it's fun to do and you'll love the end product because you made it yourself (rather than buying it).  I just made mine with pop-up bench dogs, an inlay vice and and this is the one that is currently sitting in my converted carriage house/shop.

The bench should be big enough to handle any larger projects you may make in the future (for instance, if you make a bookcase, you'll need enough room to lay it on its back and tack on trim, etc)

After you get the basic tools (above), then you can look for table saw, drill press, jointer, planer, etc. Like suggested above by others, go to your local Craigslist and search for "shop tools"  or specific items.  Also, I always search for "lumber".  Many times, old rough sawn lumber is worth it especially if clear.  Try not to buy woodworking lumber from big stores. Look for a local sawmill or buy from estate cleanout, etc.

Have fun and message me if you have questions.

• Like (+1) 1

I am the last person to speak on this. But when I was newly married, my in-laws (long line of wood workers) bought me all these tools and a portable work bench. So, every day, after work, I went down to my basement, and worked on building a coat rack. I think I finished that lop-sided, ugly thing in a few months, and have displayed it in our house ever since. I have never again picked up any tools, or tried to build anything else. 

• Haha (+1) 1

A table saw is probably a good thing to look into. Unless you have a lot of room and money, a smallish table saw for under $500 will be serviceable until you decide just how serious you are. Most of the small ones can be folded up and stored along the wall if you are concerned about limited space.

A circular saw is also important for turning big boards into small boards. 

I know a guy who moved from his house to an apartment when he was about 85 years old.  He had a ton of tools, and just put them out on the curb.  They were scooped up by his neighbors almost instantly. 

Edited by Gray Beard
  • Like (+1) 1