Cut or Keep in 2020?

Stallions

46 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I love how our defense completely shut down the Pats and have kept us in all of our games, yet people are willing to write off two starters on our defensive line.  

Stop looking at individual stats and start looking at the overall team performance.  

We didn’t get a single sack on Brady last Sunday, so they sucked right?

The point of the thread was the SALARY CAP!  If we can't beat the PATS next year some changes will happen - correct?

44 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I love how our defense completely shut down the Pats and have kept us in all of our games, yet people are willing to write off two starters on our defensive line.  

Stop looking at individual stats and start looking at the overall team performance.  

Think the GM evaluates a player based on the team's overall performance?  Doubtful.

Yes, individuals contribute, but at what cost are they to the team?  Trent Murphy playing the LDE position at his salary may be able to be replaced with someone on a rookie contract and provide similar production.  I am using Murphy merely as an example.

People want to sign everyone, but there's going to be trade-offs.  For example, I doubt if Dawson Knox continues to improve that Kroft is back next season. That said, the Bills haven't once had to make a decision on someone drafted by this regime, but that begins to change this off-season when White, Dawkins, and Milano are eligible for extensions.  Not to mention those on 1 year deals.  

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Think the GM evaluates a player based on the team's overall performance?  Doubtful.

Yes, individuals contribute, but at what cost are they to the team?  Trent Murphy playing the LDE position at his salary may be able to be replaced with someone on a rookie contract and provide similar production.  I am using Murphy merely as an example.

People want to sign everyone, but there's going to be trade-offs.  For example, I doubt if Dawson Knox continues to improve that Kroft is back next season. That said, the Bills haven't once had to make a decision on someone drafted by this regime, but that begins to change this off-season when White, Dawkins, and Milano are eligible for extensions.  Not to mention those on 1 year deals.  

Excellent points!  Tough decisions have to be made this off-season and it won't be as easy.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Cut Murphy tomorrow for all I care. Dude does nothing for his team.

And I have no idea why Lee Smith gets so many snaps. He’s useless in the passing game and Knox is a good blocker in his own right.

Agree....just rewatched the game. Trent Murphy is useless. We're going to seriously have to replace Murphy/ Lawson with actual pass rushers. While we're cutting lets include:

Bogo

Zay 

DiMarco

Lee Smith

Yeldon?

3 hours ago, Stallions said:

1.       Trent Murphy with 3 assisted tackles in 4 games.  In 2020 his Dead Cap hit will be $1,750,000.  GONE

2.       Lee Smith signed a 3 year $9M contract this year.  In 2020 his Dead Cap hit will be $1M. GONE

3.       Shaq Lawson is a UFA for 2020.  SIGN HIM

S-    Star Lotulelei signed a 5 YEAR $50m contract. His Dead Cap is $19M this year but drops to $8M in 2020.   KEEP HIM UNTIL 2021

It's not popular, but I'm dropping Star. We could do a whole lot better and the cap still won't be an issue next offseason. Sign a better player, get Phillips back, and eat the 8 mil. The decision will come down to Murphy or Shaq and quite frankly, I think we need someone better than either. So with that in mind, I'm keeping Murphy and letting Shaq walk, especially if we're talking serious money. I want to see them going after a true stud at the position and Murphy can still play a role as a situational pass rusher if Beane makes that happen. Not like Murphy has some huge contract. As much as Shaq has improved, he's really not a game changer and doesn't have the skillset to develop into a consistently strong pass rusher. Go get a stud at DE.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Evaluate them based on the team performance, so release John Brown and Frank Gore today because the offense was dreadful, yeah?

Trent Murphy is a 4-3 defensive end who gets no pass rush. If the defense is awesome despite that, great, but it can only be better with a real running mate for Hughes. We could be talking the Denver defense that dragged the corpse of Peyton Manning to a championship despite his awful QB play. I would quite like to watch the Bills win a championship.

4 hours ago, Stallions said:

1.       Trent Murphy with 3 assisted tackles in 4 games.  In 2020 his Dead Cap hit will be $1,750,000.  GONE

2.       Lee Smith signed a 3 year $9M contract this year.  In 2020 his Dead Cap hit will be $1M. GONE

3.       Shaq Lawson is a UFA for 2020.  SIGN HIM

S-    Star Lotulelei signed a 5 YEAR $50m contract. His Dead Cap is $19M this year but drops to $8M in 2020.   KEEP HIM UNTIL 2021

keep em all, trade Zay

I'm not usually one to stop good discussion, but this seems way premature. We actually have a pretty decent team this year. Let it play out and enjoy the season and then make your final evaluations. I know in Buffalo over the last couple of decades, the offseason has been the best part of the year, because it was the only time to have some hope that things might get better. But to be having offseason-type of discussions after just 4 games seems a bit too early for me. What if Trent picks up his game and comes up with 9 sacks like he did a few years ago? What if Lee Smith doesn't have another penalty the rest of the year, but is a monster blocking for the run game? Etc. It might not happen, but there are still 12 games to play, so who knows right now.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, folz said:

I'm not usually one to stop good discussion, but this seems way premature. We actually have a pretty decent team this year. Let it play out and enjoy the season and then make your final evaluations. I know in Buffalo over the last couple of decades, the offseason has been the best part of the year, because it was the only time to have some hope that things might get better. But to be having offseason-type of discussions after just 4 games seems a bit too early for me. What if Trent picks up his game and comes up with 9 sacks like he did a few years ago? What if Lee Smith doesn't have another penalty the rest of the year, but is a monster blocking for the run game? Etc. It might not happen, but there are still 12 games to play, so who knows right now.

On a good / decent team it's always the time to look at upgrades.  Trent has 19 total career sacks & he's gone down hill since his PED suspension in 2017.

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Cut Murphy tomorrow for all I care. Dude does nothing for his team.

And I have no idea why Lee Smith gets so many snaps. He’s useless in the passing game and Knox is a good blocker in his own right.

I don't think Murphy has been terrible, just not contributing many impact plays.  Johnson has had more impact from the position and is already taking reps from him. I am not sure who else they have on rotation on the end that could fill though and the rotation keeps them fresh.

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The other one they could get rid of next year with little cap hit is Kroft.  If Knox and Sweeney keep developing, think it may happen.

Actually think it may come down to him or Smith

He could be cut and never have played a down for the team.

This reminds me of  "The Merriman Experiment."

Why mess with anything on our defense the way they are playing, people are talking about cutting star and Murphy to free up money, we already have over 80 million 

the run blocking by the oline has been better but our pass blocking has been terrible, maybe we should be looking there to upgrade 

Three out of four are all starters on a very good defensive unit.  I might be missing something with their play that doesn't equate to stats.

Since short term cap space is about zero concern for the Bills, I'd decide using remaining value on the contract (which maximizes long term cap space).

Murphy - 1 year $7M.  Keep him, perhaps a compensation pick kicks in the following year. Thin at the position.

Lawson - FA.  In the mix if he wants to stay, but not a bank breaker.

Star - 3 years $24M - about $8M per year.  Hasn't shown a lot, IMO.  But also not horrible if he is a good locker room guy.  I would try to trade then move on.  Peko played about the same for < $1M. HH is outplaying him.

Lee Smith - 2 years $4.7M.  Great in the locker room and as a mentor.  Kind of a 6th lineman when he plays.  Would love to see him as H-back. Decent contract. Keep him.

11 hours ago, Stallions said:

He signed a 3 year, $18.75M contract with the Bills.  His Dead Cap in 2020 is only $1.6M.  He may just stay if he can play!!!

Beane is great at structuring these new contracts in favor of the Bills ! I don't know though that the question is if Kroft can play the elephant in the room is can he stay healthy ?

If Knox & Sweeney continue the way they have he could be kept as a back up option but i see those 2 as the leaders in that room for the future .

Edited by T master