A sampling of other QB’s early career stats

Like it or not, Allen is going to be the starter for this season and the next two seasons depending on if the Bills pick up his option. Allen needs playing time to see if he is going to develop into "the guy" for the Bills.  I think he can so I am not going to panic if he makes mistakes or bad throws. The Bills also need some more pieces on offense and their rookies to gain experience. The offense is better than last seasons but it is far from a solid offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Like it or not, Allen is going to be the starter for this season and the next two seasons depending on if the Bills pick up his option. Allen needs playing time to see if he is going to develop into "the guy" for the Bills.  I think he can so I am not going to panic if he makes mistakes or bad throws. The Bills also need some more pieces on offense and their rookies to gain experience. The offense is better than last seasons but it is far from a solid offense. 

Agreed. 

If McD could massage us into the playoffs with TT I think he can do it this year. He has to take points and keep it a little more conservative until JA earnest he right to ball out.

Hey great stats!  I dug up some too!

JP Losman's second season '05: 8 TD 8 Ints. 1-7

His third season '06: 19 TD 14 Ints. 7-9

Trent Edward's second season '08: 11 TD 10 Ints. 7-7

His third season '09: 6 TD 7 Ints. 2-5

EJ Manuel's second season '14: 5 TD 3 Ints. 2-2

His third season '15: 3 TD 3 Ints. 0-2

What does all of this mean?  Absolutely NOTHING.  Why is it every time somebody makes a thread like this it is to compare to Hall of Famers?  Just stop.

EDIT:  This is not a post to condone pulling the plug on Allen.  That would be dumb.  But lets not make sweeping comparisons to the all time greats either.

Edited by ImpactCorey

I sure hope none of you folks play the stock market!  You would be buying and selling at the drop of a hat.  But, fortunately it doesn't really matter what any of us think, the coaches will continue to coach him, and give him at least through next season to grow.  Assuming he continues to have good games mixed in with the bad, like so far this year! 

Sunday was a really bad day for him, against a really good team, so be it.  It's not the end of the world, and certainly not the end of his career.  I do think he was overwhelmed by the enormity of the day though.  This was a big, big game, against a really good team.  The build up was enormous, and I have feeling he let it get to him, and he froze.  It's happened to all of us, it certainly has happened to me early in my career.  The only way to get better at handling that is to live through it.  The next time won't seem so big, and he'll handle it much better.  

We shall see!  

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You know the old Godwin's Law? There should be another law for sports forums:  "The longer a thread goes on, the more likely some participant in that thread will say that the discussion is pointless because fans don't run teams."

Yes. We know we don't run the Bills. Maybe we should just all get back to work. This is wonderful advice. Thank you.

Or you know, actually discuss things that are happening or have a chance of happening in the very near term. Crusades get tiring fast, and teams don’t make long term decisions that quickly. It’s 2019 and there’s lots of football left to be played. Draft/ offseason stuff will be here soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats the point.  

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I will always hate these arguments. 

These arguments are actually quite telling.

Every single Bills QB who has been compared to Troy Aikman has been a failure. 

That’s the real point. Josh Allen is fighting history now.

Yeah, these stats comparison from 30 years ago are kinda insane.  It also is insane how quickly we judge nfl qbs, the hardest position in sports.  But given the rules and how much nfl offenses are like college ones, the transition has never been easier.  

I think 2 years should give you a good idea if someone is the guy or not.  

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I will always hate these arguments. 

Yeah, I think you missed the point and don't realize we agree.  

We got threads comparing Allens stats to EJ Manuel trying to prove he sucks.  We got threads comparing Allen to all time greats trying to prove he doesn't suck...

Its all pointless, no two QB's are the same.  

The only REAL point here is that its VERY stupid, and literally utterly dumb, to condemn a QB throwing 3 INTs in his 15th start against the greatest defensive mind in history.  

There are many examples of QB's who had some rough games in the early parts of their careers who went on to be excellent.  Just like there are many QB's who never got any better from that point.  

In other words, everyone needs to stop trying to be Nostradamus on Allens future (good or bad) because we lost to the defending champs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think its difficult to preach patience when a few qbs had massive success right away in the past few years  I do think those are flukes though  Patrick Mahomes is simply a unique case much like Marino back in 1983.  Those guys are  not the norm.   My worry is that Allen built up some bad habits last year playing with such a weak supporting cast that he may have trouble accepting he does not have to carry the team on every snap.