MNF: Bengals at Steelers

YoloinOhio

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

No I'm speaking about in general with the caveat that Gore & Yeldon are in the backfield.  I agree that Singleterry likely would have made a huge difference.  And when he's played the early returns are promising that he'll be a difference maker in our run game.  But Singleterry just hasn't played enough for us to see how big a difference he'll truly be.  But with Yeldon & Gore in the backfield we don't run the ball well; we don't get good production from the RB's in the passing game and for some reason we don't run screen passes with them.

I think it's a combination of Gore & Yeldon not being among the upper half of RB's in the league and a scheme which puts our RB's in the spread far to often. 

OK....so I just want to understand what you are saying

We did not get rid of Shady because we wanted to run Gore more.....we got rid of Shady because we had a young back with the same elusive skill set as Shady and he was so good we needed to get him on the field.

That is not the sign of a weakness that is a sign of a draft pick that was performed so well that it couldnt sit the bench.....and Devin has made HUGE plays for this offense in those first 3 games

Gore is the HOF pass the torch mentor.....Devin the young "give you spark" back.....Yeldon is the "dont break glass unless of emergency" back

I know that facts get lost quickly but lets not act like Devin was not making difference making plays for this team in the first 3 games.

not gonna lie seeing the Bengals play this bad makes me wonder how good the Bills truly are

Titans game is such a massive test. if we lose that this might be another 8 win season 

Edited by dous21

Just now, John from Riverside said:

OK....so I just want to understand what you are saying

We did not get rid of Shady because we wanted to run Gore more.....we got rid of Shady because we had a young back with the same elusive skill set as Shady and he was so good we needed to get him on the field.

That is not the sign of a weakness that is a sign of a draft pick that was performed so well that it couldnt sit the bench.....and Devin has made HUGE plays for this offense in those first 3 games

Gore is the HOF pass the torch mentor.....Devin the young "give you spark" back.....Yeldon is the "dont break glass unless of emergency" back

I know that facts get lost quickly but lets not act like Devin was not making difference making plays for this team in the first 3 games.

I agree with everything you posted except for the part of why we got rid of Shady.  That was primarily a cap move and a good one for the long term benefit of the team.  But if management truly thought that this was our year they would have cut Yeldon and kept McCoy.  Shady still has gas in his tank and we could have used him against the Bengals and yesterday against the Pats. 

Singleterry made some big plays in the Jet's game and in the 1st half of the Giants game.  I'm confident he'll be a very good NFL RB.  I'm even keeping my fingers crossed that he'll mimic two other recent 3rd round RB picks that emerged as studs - Hunt & Kamera.  But we need to see if Singleterry can continue to make big plays when he gets back from his injury. 

My point is that when we're forced to use Gore & Yeldon as our 1/2 RB's we're fielding one of the worst RB duos in the league.  I get Gore's positive impact on the culture and in short yardage/goal line situations he's a valuable asset.  But looking at almost every other NFL team I would take their 1/2 RB's over Gore & Yeldon.  That changes if we're talking about Singleterry/Gore.  And it's important that Dabold moves Singleterry to #1 assuming he picks right back up where he left off before the injury.

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Eight sacks for the Steelers. EIGHT! They only had six on the season coming into this game. Meanwhile we were struggling to get to Dalton. Only 3 QB hits all game.

Steelers run a pressure defense, and have excellent edge rushers. Frazier and McDs D is more of a keep everything in front of you, play coverages and disguise your looks. They aren’t fans of blitzing very often, so you’re not going to see huge sack totals. Just a different philosophy of defense. Personal preference like chocolate or vanilla. Both can be effective, It certainly hampered Brady. Steelers didn’t do so well vs NE. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree with everything you posted except for the part of why we got rid of Shady.  That was primarily a cap move and a good one for the long term benefit of the team.  But if management truly thought that this was our year they would have cut Yeldon and kept McCoy.  Shady still has gas in his tank and we could have used him against the Bengals and yesterday against the Pats. 

Singleterry made some big plays in the Jet's game and in the 1st half of the Giants game.  I'm confident he'll be a very good NFL RB.  I'm even keeping my fingers crossed that he'll mimic two other recent 3rd round RB picks that emerged as studs - Hunt & Kamera.  But we need to see if Singleterry can continue to make big plays when he gets back from his injury. 

My point is that when we're forced to use Gore & Yeldon as our 1/2 RB's we're fielding one of the worst RB duos in the league.  I get Gore's positive impact on the culture and in short yardage/goal line situations he's a valuable asset.  But looking at almost every other NFL team I would take their 1/2 RB's over Gore & Yeldon.  That changes if we're talking about Singleterry/Gore.  And it's important that Dabold moves Singleterry to #1 assuming he picks right back up where he left off before the injury.

Its my personal opinion....strictly jmo that is Devin plays against the pats we dont lose that game

Gore would have a long productive run.....then get winded and Josh would get a designed run (I frankly hate them unless its jet sweep inside the red zone) if Devin plays he comes in and take the next handoff and we run more in this game.....protecting Josh from trying to do to much.

It does not matter.....we lost...but I think it bodes well for the future

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its my personal opinion....strictly jmo that is Devin plays against the pats we dont lose that game

Gore would have a long productive run.....then get winded and Josh would get a designed run (I frankly hate them unless its jet sweep inside the red zone) if Devin plays he comes in and take the next handoff and we run more in this game.....protecting Josh from trying to do to much.

It does not matter.....we lost...but I think it bodes well for the future

I agree about how the game goes if Singleterry is on the field.

And your 2nd point is why Gore can't be the #1 RB.  RB's get in a rhythm.  They break off a big run and two plays later they break off another.  Gore is to old to be the guy that lugs the rock 20 - 25 times when he gets hot.  IMO Gore & Yelden are very limited as a one-two RB combo.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And your 2nd point is why Gore can't be the #1 RB.  RB's get in a rhythm.  They break off a big run and two plays later they break off another.  Gore is to old to be the guy that lugs the rock 20 - 25 times when he gets hot.  IMO Gore & Yelden are very limited as a one-two RB combo.

I honestly do not think the plan was ever for Gore to be "the back" I think they meant to platoon them from the start

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I honestly do not think the plan was ever for Gore to be "the back" I think they meant to platoon them from the start

I'm sure the plan was:

Singletary RB1

Gore RB2

Yeldon RB3/ Receiving 

*** still wish we could've kept Marcus Murphy 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Filthy Brady?  Does that involved plastic wrap and a bowel movement?

Penguin is a nice audible as well.

Nope that involves Brady, refs, Brady's dild0s and ranch dressing... 

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Watt against our tackles should be frustrating to watch. 

Need to trade for him Stat!!

7 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I'm a bit troubled watching 0-3 Pittsburgh pound the snot out of a team we barely squeaked by last week.

Pats obliterated the Steelers and barely squeaked by buffalo. So there that

6 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree, and You.see league wide 2-3 good RBs is almost mandatory in today’s game. 

Yeldon isn’t good enough

24 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Pats obliterated the Steelers and barely squeaked by buffalo. So there that

I agree, and You.see league wide 2-3 good RBs is almost mandatory in today’s game. 

Yeldon isn’t good enough

I'd not be opposed to cutting Zay and bringing Murphy back to add him to the stable. Two thunders, one lightning.

That was exactly the model for winning with Mason Rudolph. He is decisive, gets the ball out quick, lots of short and intermediate routes and when the DBs cheat up take the odd shot over the top. Rudolph can be a good starting Quarterback in this league. He isn't ever going to be an elite guy, I think his ceiling is lower than that, but he can play and there is something there to work with.

The Bengals were an absolute mess. Aside from the Dline, Joe Mixon and the two corners (who apart from the bust coverage for the big touchdown had another really solid game as they did in Buffalo) there is next to nothing on that team. The linebackers and safeties might be among the worst in the league.

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That was exactly the model for winning with Mason Rudolph. He is decisive, gets the ball out quick, lots of short and intermediate routes and when the DBs cheat up take the odd shot over the top. Rudolph can be a good starting Quarterback in this league. He isn't ever going to be an elite guy, I think his ceiling is lower than that, but he can play and there is something there to work with.

This made me chuckle.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bengals were an absolute mess. Aside from the Dline, Joe Mixon and the two corners (who apart from the bust coverage for the big touchdown had another really solid game as they did in Buffalo) there is next to nothing on that team. The linebackers and safeties might be among the worst in the league.

The model for winning with Rudolph  is using the wildcat? :)

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well said. Rudolph is going to be basically an elite backup QB in this league. I bet he has a similar path to matt Schaub where some team will take a chance on him as the starter at some point in his career, but he will settle back into being a backup. It’s a great job to have.

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Well said. Rudolph is going to be basically an elite backup QB in this league. I bet he has a similar path to matt Schaub where some team will take a chance on him as the starter at some point in his career, but he will settle back into being a backup. It’s a great job to have.

I think his ceiling is higher than a backup. I think he is a starter and a good starter, just never one of those guys who you think of as a franchise QB. Matt Schaub is a decent comparison, he had a really decent 5 year run as the starter in Houston before age and injury hit. I think he is a slightly less talented Eli Manning (probably without the two magical post-season runs).

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

One team will get their first win. Mason Rudolph truthers unite. 

And I know there are Andrew dalton truthers on this board because they were vocal a couple of weeks ago!

When either of those QB's were coming out of college i was a fan of both & still am I think both were better than any one the Bills have had prior to getting Josh .