First coach fired this season?

BmarvB

Gruden is a good choice, and a mid-season firing is right up Snyder's mismanagement alley.

I think Dan Quinn is on his last, frayed thread in Atlanta. And there are at least 3 former HCs on staff waiting to jump on that interim title.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

Gruden is likely the first to go, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Dan Quinn get the boot too if they feel there's a way to salvage the season. 

Also, and I'm sure it won't be before season's end, but you have to wonder if Fangio is safe in Denver- especially since I think Elway will "retire" at the end of this season. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Gruden is likely the first to go, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Dan Quinn get the boot too if they feel there's a way to salvage the season. 

Also, and I'm sure it won't be before season's end, but you have to wonder if Fangio is safe in Denver- especially since I think Elway will "retire" at the end of this season. 

Interesting. 3 HCs in 3 seasons would be Ralph Wilson Bills-level dysfunction.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Interesting. 3 HCs in 3 seasons would be Ralph Wilson Bills-level dysfunction.

I don't see anyway around it really... If they continue to be bad, and if the defense continues to play poorly I'm not sure how Elway doesn't get forced out and then I'm sure the next guy would want a reset at HC. If Lock gets in and looks like a real QB, they might have a chance to stay. I think at least one of em is gone, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Fangio stay and Elway leave. 

Edited by whatdrought

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Gruden is a good choice, and a mid-season firing is right up Snyder's mismanagement alley.

I think Dan Quinn is on his last, frayed thread in Atlanta. And there are at least 3 former HCs on staff waiting to jump on that interim title.

Quinn should have been fired right after the Falcons lost the Super Bowl. Unforgivable play calling lost them the championship.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Quinn should have been fired right after the Falcons lost the Super Bowl. Unforgivable play calling lost them the championship.

Well, that's a tough one. While the play calling at the end of the SB did lose them the game, Kyle Shanahan the OC, was running the best Offense Atlanta has had in a long time (and ever since). And he did leave after that season.

The offense and playcalling got them to the Super Bowl, and had them winning the Super Bowl into the 2nd half. It was the decision to stick with what got them there (passing) instead of killing the clock (running), that lost them the game.

But yeah, he probably should have been canned after that loss just because it's real hard to get that mojo back.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Well, that's a tough one. While the play calling at the end of the SB did lose them the game, Kyle Shanahan the OC, was running the best Offense Atlanta has had in a long time (and ever since). And he did leave after that season.

The offense and playcalling got them to the Super Bowl, and had them winning the Super Bowl into the 2nd half. It was the decision to stick with what got them there (passing) instead of killing the clock (running), that lost them the game.

But yeah, he probably should have been canned after that loss just because it's real hard to get that mojo back.

That would have been a great moment to shock the world and promote the OC and kick the HC to the curb. - Actually, this is something that might happen in Dallas this year... 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Gruden and Quinn are the only options honestly. Anybody else that gets let go would be kept until the offseason IMO. Gruden and Quinn have a decent chance of getting the axe earlier than that.

I kinda wonder if Mike Zimmer gets the axe in the offseason. If they continue winning games in spite of their passing attack, maybe he survives, but he can't fire DeFilippo this time and I believe his contract is up at the end of the year anyways.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

That would have been a great moment to shock the world and promote the OC and kick the HC to the curb. - Actually, this is something that might happen in Dallas this year... 

I agree it could happen in Dallas this year, but WOW if they make Kellen Moore a HC at 31 after only 1 year at OC.

I think the smartest play would be extend Garrett, and give Moore an Asst HC promotion. Then make him HC in 3-4 years.

But who knows with Jerry.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Vic Fangio, 1st time HC at 61 years old is doing himself no favors in Denver.

Broncos going to Chargers next week, could easily be 0-5.

As I said above, the biggest thing Fangio has going against him is that he's likely tied to Elways fate. I can't see Elway being there after the Flacco thing failed. Especially not with the early reports on Drew Lock.