The Pick Play That Got Gordon Open

H2o

As a former corner I think it's obvious...

Not only did the douche bag set a pick, he stuck out his leg trying to Charlie horse Levi

That's a hard circumstance to be in for a variety of reasons

A) You don't want to give up a catch so instinctually you jump out the way to try and keep with your man

B) You really don't want to plow into the WR because that's a fast moving play and injuries occur there alot on contact

If push comes to shove and that was me I would plow into the WR and get the penalty called .. But there's gonna be a lot of contact so your gonna have to make him pay or you will

11 hours ago, Jobot said:

It's a penalty.  The Patriots are notorious for this play and always seem to get away with it.  It's bad for the game and is one of the aspects that makes the game 'unwatchable' sometimes.  Along with reviews, bad calls, tv timeouts, awful game flow.

Isn't Belicheat on the rules committee? 

Lacosse knew he got away with one too, his look afterwards said it all 

13 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Can you point to any penalty flag for offensive pass interference EVER thrown on a Bills player for running a noncontact pick play? Maybe we should try it? By the way, I think we are with Daboll as the new receivers learn the playbook and start to work

better in coordination. I actually like watching well executed receiver pick/rub plays just like I enjoy watching really well executed picks in the NBA. 

I recall Jags and Browns - both home games.  May have been same year or a year apart.  I found this video for the Jags.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000565553/Bills-Nickell-Robey-called-for-pass-interference-on-Jaguars-game-winning-drive

17 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I didn't think so from the angle I watched, but I could be wrong. It would be good to get another view. In any event, you simply can't reverse that non-call given the way that PI challenges have been going so far. 

Just watched both angles and the replay is not conclusive of seeing the actual contact, except there is almost no possible way for Wallace to go flying like he did without the contact from the TEs left leg.

18 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

I recall Jags and Browns - both home games.  May have been same year or a year apart.  I found this video for the Jags.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000565553/Bills-Nickell-Robey-called-for-pass-interference-on-Jaguars-game-winning-drive

Well, true, it looks like a non-contact PI, but it's a DEFENSIVE intereference call. The question was "why don't the Bills run pick plays like the Pats." The response was "because the Bills - unlike the Pats - would be flagged for OFFENSIVE pass interference. So I still haven't seen an example of an offensive PI called for a non-contact pick play ...

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, true, it looks like a non-contact PI, but it's a DEFENSIVE intereference call. The question was "why don't the Bills run pick plays like the Pats." The response was "because the Bills - unlike the Pats - would be flagged for OFFENSIVE pass interference. So I still haven't seen an example of an offensive PI called for a non-contact pick play ...

For what it's worth, my response was not what you quoted.  The reality is that rub plays and crosses should be part of the Bills offense and I'm sure they are. The play in question looks to be intentional (attempted?) tripping, where there may or may not have been contact to the defender's back foot, and where the defender actually trips and falls.  Pretty sure this is called by more than 50% of the time. And if it's called, it would not have been overturned.

42 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

For what it's worth, my response was not what you quoted.  The reality is that rub plays and crosses should be part of the Bills offense and I'm sure they are. The play in question looks to be intentional (attempted?) tripping, where there may or may not have been contact to the defender's back foot, and where the defender actually trips and falls.  Pretty sure this is called by more than 50% of the time. And if it's called, it would not have been overturned.

They are definitely in the playbook as we saw against the Bengals when we used a pick to hit Beasley on the two point conversion. 

They schemed it up good, they knew we’d be in man coverage. Only thing I disagree with defensively is anticipate this play you either run a cover 2 zone with one deep, and a spy rover in the short middle, or simply play a DIME, 4 rushers, 1 linebacker, 4 corners 2 safeties, where the LB sits in the middle and shades coverage over to the side where the pick is coming. If timed good enough the WR gets leveled or you break on the pass and get a pick 6.