The Pick Play That Got Gordon Open

H2o

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You think Belichik coached him to blatantly try to pick Wallace like that?  They haven’t won all those Super Bowls and Division titles because of ref incompetence.  That was a dumb play by the Pats player.  

Sure they have.  That and cheating

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

They dont include the word contact, the term is significantly hinders

Again you are quoting a summary of the rule, while I pulled the verbiage from the rule book for you. It’s quoted in this thread and reads “contact”

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

Again you are quoting a summary of the rule, while I pulled the verbiage from the rule book for you. It’s quoted in this thread and reads “contact”

Link? I clicked on the actual rule definition and it still read the same, and the part you pulled out was an example of PI

It wasn't a pick play, he never touched Wallace because instead of running into him and drawing the call, Wallace tried to run around him and ended up tripping from being off balance...

It SHOULD have been a pick, but Wallace helped him out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ta111 said:

Wrong. Any act that hinders the defender. There doesn’t need to be contact.

Think your wrong on that one bud. Contact has to be made to be considered interference. If a DB is beaten on a route but is able to put his arms up and deflect the pass without looking for the ball or making contact with the WR is it pass interference? No. Levi Wallace did it Week 1 to Robbie Anderson who had him beat on a deep shot but was able to deflect though he had no idea where the ball was.

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

image.thumb.png.275cb2c10b2507c96caf115af164e900.png

There is the whole rule, it says significant hinders in the definition. 

If there is another place that has the rule, please provide it as I have not found one

No contact so it was not a penalty.  Acting like you’re going to hit someone and then not hitting them can’t be a penalty.  Who could officiate that?  What team wouldn’t lose its (crap) if a call like that went against them?  Imagine losing to the Pats because we had the winning TD called back because Beasley acted like he was going to hit Gilmore, but didn’t and still got an OPI call for it.  This place would melt down. 

The Pats are extremely well coached.  They augment that by cheating in innumerable ways.  They also have an incredibly good QB. The combination has really paid off for them.

Next time our DB better not break stride.  The coaches need to cover stuff like that. 

5 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

image.thumb.png.275cb2c10b2507c96caf115af164e900.png

There is the whole rule, it says significant hinders in the definition. 

If there is another place that has the rule, please provide it as I have not found one

Right, and then it defines those acts, pretty universally as contact driven in every clause defining the types of hindrances that are illegal.

it seems pretty obvious and clear that the nfl intends contact to be key in the ruling, despite a relative catchall sentence above. If non contact was meant to be a driver don’t you think they’d include at least some sort of reference to it?

by the definition you are using literally any pass defense is interference as the DBs job is quite literally to significantly hinder the WRs ability to catch the ball.

Edited by NoSaint

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Right, and then it defines those acts, pretty universally as contact driven in every clause defining the types of hindrances that are illegal.

it seems pretty obvious and clear that the nfl intends contact to be key in the ruling, despite a relative catchall sentence above. If non contact was meant to be a driver don’t you think they’d include at least some sort of reference to it?

it says includes but not limited to for those parts as I previously stated, so those arent the only ways to have pass interference. I would counter your argument by saying, if they wanted contact to be the basis, dont you think they would have stated so? Something along the lines of "contact that significantly hinders"?

They chose those words for a reason, and I imagine it was for cases like this

Edited by Bray Wyatt

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

it says includes but not limited to for those parts as I previously stated, so those arent the only ways to have pass interference. I would counter your argument by saying, if they wanted contact to be the basis, dont you think they would have stated so? Something along the lines of "contact that significantly hinders"?

They did include it. In literally every clause defining interference. 

by sticking to your use of that sentence being the defining factor - intercepting the ball could be interference because it hinders the WRs ability to catch it. Knocking the ball down could be. Literally the ref could toss a flag for anything. But they define what things are illegal in the following sections.

Edited by NoSaint

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

They did include it. In literally every clause defining interference. 

by sticking to your use of that sentence being the defining factor - intercepting the ball could be interference because it hinders the WRs ability to catch it. Knocking the ball down could be. Literally the ref could toss a flag for anything. But they define what things are illegal in the following sections.

Article 2 is not the definition lol Article 1 is, you see that where it says Definition

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

Article 2 is not the definition lol Article 1 is, you see that where it says Definition

Well, I don’t know what to tell you at this point.

If you want to continue believing you’re right, it’s at least a rare play and you won’t be outraged very often by the officials calling it differently than you expect. 

Just now, NoSaint said:

Well, I don’t know what to tell you at this point.

If you want to continue believing you’re right, it’s at least a rare play and you won’t be outraged very often by the officials calling it differently than you expect. 

Yes it is a rare play, it is pass interference, and they blew the call. Im not outraged over it

51 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Did he really not hit him? The few guys I watched with all thought so.  Bills fans but also jets and bears fans all thought the leg made contact

definitely contact if you hate the Pats

3 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I think the only reason it wasn’t called is because the Bills defender avoided the contact. Complete BS. They were talking about it on WGR this morning. It leaves the defender with two options. Option one go around the obvious pick and save injury but your man gets open and you don’t get a flag. Option two nail the pick play, risk injury, go down, and you still probably don’t get the flag because... Patriots. 

Don't think contact was avoided. I think he tried to avoid contact but Patriots player stuck out leg and tripped him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1