The real test for this team is this weekend

warrior9

I (like most of you) probably thought that was the most winnable game we've had against NE in what seemed like decades (when TB plays). It feels like it slipped through our fingers. 

I don't want to dwell on that game but moving forward we are playing another tough defense with an inconsistent offense. This is a true test to see how we can handle a tough loss and move forward from it. It will be a true test of character/new culture to see if the team and Josh Allen can bounce back from that game (assuming Josh Allen plays). 

Going in to the bye week at 4-1 with VERY winnable games after is going to be EXTREMELY important. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Iverwig said:

I agree, this weekend will be the real test as to how good the Bills are. Hopefully Allen can play to see how he and the team responds. 

Yeah, I think it's important. This can game can ultimately come back to have tie break implications as well. 

Just now, teef said:

It will certainly tell us a lot about the coaching. 

Exactly. Especially with how animated and seemingly upset McDermott is with how JA went out. He, himself, needs to reel it in and stay composed now as well. 

To call this 'The Real Test' implies that it's the most critical thing for the Bills.  I see it as another learning opportunity for the team, and another gauge for us fans to put more/less eggs into the 'this team will make the playoffs' basket.

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

To call this 'The Real Test' implies that it's the most critical thing for the Bills.  I see it as another learning opportunity for the team, and another gauge for us fans to put more/less eggs into the 'this team will make the playoffs' basket.

I believe it is the most critical. It's a team with expectations (we haven't had that in years). It's team coming off of an emotional loss (we have't had that in years). It's a team we've yet to see respond to true adversity. I think this is a very critical game to gauge in terms of where we are at in "the process." It's important to be able to respond. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s no more of a real test than any other game....but more importantly it’s the game before their bye week. They can either go into a week off with a banged up roster and two game losing streak hanging over them ...or they can go into it 4-1 and feeling really good about their record and season’s momentum.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, teef said:

It will certainly tell us a lot about the coaching. 

And with Allen...if he plays last week.

You have to wonder where his mind is going to be at with this game after New England rattled him all day.

I want Allen to be careful with the ball but still not lose his aggressive mentality.  Lets see if he gets trigger shy or he continues to take shots (hopefully smarter shots).

I'm going to this game so I hope that's not added pressure for him.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills defense is really excellent.  There have been a few occasions where they got out of rhythm -- right after the first stupid INT against the Bengals, and on the Pats' only offensive drive -- but no defense is perfect all the time.

The players are just doing their jobs and shutting things down. I do not think the defense will let the team down all year, except of course for injuries.

The Bills got substantial yardage (375 yards, I believe) against a Pats defense people say is the best in football, and that's with Josh playing that badly.  The offense should be fine against the Titans' defense.

If they just get their heads on straight after yesterday's disappointment, they'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

You have to wonder where his mind is going to be at with this game after New England rattled him all day.

I want Allen to be careful with the ball but still not lose his aggressive mentality.  Lets see if he gets trigger shy or he continues to take shots (hopefully smarter shots).

100%.... I want to say it's just another game ... but it's not. 

It's going to be important to see how JA responds to that hit, the pressure he took, the 3 INTs, etc 

It's going to be important that the defense comes out and plays the same way after they literally played out of their minds yesterday. There's a lot of things that will tell us a lot about this team with this game. 

2 minutes ago, Utah John said:

If they just get their heads on straight after yesterday's disappointment, they'll be fine.

That bolded word is what makes this game interesting.

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

josh allen, the team, the coaches...they all have to show us that a tough loss can be shrugged off while learning from their mistakes.  I'm not sure what to make of this team yet.  sunday will be a big measuring stick for me.

This game is more important than yesterday.  Always was.  While on the rise, we still are not one of the top tier teams.  Beating a team we very well may be battling for a playoff spot is much more important than beating the Pats who are probably going to win the division anyway this season. 

And get in the playoffs with this D and you never know what can happen.

Edited by Mark80

6 minutes ago, par73 said:

Seems like the next game is always the "Big Test."

Certainly comes across that way on here, but I think there is some legitimacy to this game being a big deal. 

Are we a good team, 4-1, ahead of the WC pack with our only loss being a down to the wire game against NE or are we 3-2 and just another WC contender. 

With the bye week coming up, 4-1 positions us to get healthy and really come out strong with 2 of the next 3 being against the worst teams in the NFL. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I believe it is the most critical. It's a team with expectations (we haven't had that in years). It's team coming off of an emotional loss (we have't had that in years). It's a team we've yet to see respond to true adversity. I think this is a very critical game to gauge in terms of where we are at in "the process." It's important to be able to respond. 

I'd struggle to call it most critical.  This team needs to just continue to make improvements week over week.  Accomplish this, and they'll be a daunting task for any opponent come playoffs.