Bill Belichick Defends Jones Hit on Josh Allen!

jethro_tull

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Allen was reckless with the ball and his body all game. He has to learn to slide. They can't bubblewrap the players out there, Allen was fighting for yards and the defender tried to stop him from getting those yards. Heads hit sometimes, hope it wasn't intentional, but if this is your biggest takeaway from the game, there's other issues that need to be addressed.

Agreed, As much as I want to burn them at the stake he HAS to learn to get down or won't be long for this league...

On the bright side we turned it over 5 time once for a ST TD and still only lost by 6, it sucks but we are trending in the right direction and the league took notice of our defense. This team also did not quit, which is excellent to see. Years past we all know how this would have finished up.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Well, the refs saw it as an illegal hit and they were right.  The hit resulted in a concussed QB that had to leave the game.  Those are the facts.

Nobody will ever know Jones intent, but he went higher than he needed to go.   It would have been natural to hit him in the middle of the body, he went high.

Josh was a runner, trying to get the first down, it wasn't a late hit, it was just an illegal one.   Not surprised Bill is having trouble with whats legal or not.

Bill would have had no trouble with what is legal or not had we hit Brady the exact same way.

9 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I keep hearing this argument, but as a defender you're still trying to stop the momentum of a player moving forward.  The hit prevented Allen from gaining an additional yard.  Allen's problem is that he still doesn't know what 'live to fight another day' means... The way he sacrificed his body on this run... he very irresponsibly put himself into harms way...and the game was not even close to being on the line at this point!  He also may miss the next game... hurting the Bills even more god forbid they aren't able to beat the Titans with Barkely!  He needs to get smart fast otherwise he'll play himself out of this league.

Fair enough.  I kept thinking about the play last year when Kiko was headhunting and almost took out Allen but Allen was in the process of sliding on that play.

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

Looking at the video THIS link shows it seems Allen hit the side of Jones helmet with the front of his helmet. Am I wrong?  

This is is what causes fan bases to argue with each other all the different angles showing what appears be different things.  They show us (Pats) this angle and we all go “looks like a pure accident and unintentional” meanwhile Buffalo media shows you a different angle which makes you think “That’s the dirtiest play ever he should be kicked out!” .  

• Like (+1) 1

After seeing this play over & over again, Jones' helmet came in at the same level as Josh's. In my book, that's intentional. He wanted to clock Josh. One Patriot already

had Josh wrapped up. Jones should have come in lower to actually help in bringing Josh down. 

On a side note, you should hear the great Trey Wingo's "rationalization" in defense of Jones.  Just watched it a few minutes ago. It was something about because Josh

is taller than Jones, Jones has no other choice than to hit Josh where he did!!     REALLY Wingo?? You fool!!!  (More like Mungo than Wingo)

that's my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Well, the refs saw it as an illegal hit and they were right.  The hit resulted in a concussed QB that had to leave the game.  Those are the facts.

Nobody will ever know Jones intent, but he went higher than he needed to go.   It would have been natural to hit him in the middle of the body, he went high.

Josh was a runner, trying to get the first down, it wasn't a late hit, it was just an illegal one.   Not surprised Bill is having trouble with whats legal or not.

Josh was already being tackled and was giving himself up as he covered the ball. Jones could very easily choose the midsection but he stayed up. That was as intentional as the international grounding. It's the Patriots, they get away with anything they want. And the league knows it and looks the other way. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

Other than the Bills I have not seen anyone thinking he should have been ejected. Honestly, if that was a Bills player making that hit I would not think they should get ejected. 

I have seen way way worse hits on players than that. I think pre-concussion protocol he is playing within a few snaps. The problem with running QB's is the refs do start to treat them as RB's and I get it in some ways. On one play they run over a defensive guy and on the next should be protected. It does get confusing and unfair for a defensive player. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I appreciate Josh’s heart and, yes, it was 3rd and 8 with us down by 6, but he’s got to slide.  We can complain all we want and endlessly debate intent here (and it probably was intentional), but who would be complaining if Poyer had laid out Brady in the same fashion?  What Josh can control is whether he puts himself in position to get hurt or not.  Slide, Josh, slide. 

Yup.  There's that long ago highlight of Brady getting completely blown up near the sideline by someone on the Bills.  He was smart enough to learn after a few of those hits early in his career that if he wanted to play into his 40s he had to stop putting himself in that position no matter what the game situation.   Not saying I want Josh to start cowering on the ground every time the defense gets near, but he can still be an offensive weapon without putting himself in position to get hammered.  He wasn't going to get a first down there, he wasn't going to get through 2-3 guys so he's got to recognize that and get down safely.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Yeah this is football.  People smash each other and there is a lot of aggressiveness about it.   People are losing their minds about this.  It was a bang bang play where Allen was going for the first down and the defender was trying to prevent that.  

Bills mafia loves to celebrate the hit on Brady for 20 years ago where his helmet went flying.  While that was not illegal then it would be now.  Is that something to be celebrated with gifs everywhere? 

Allen will be out a lot if he continues to try and run defenders over. 

People disagreeing with you is not the same as “losing their minds”

A number of hits that are illegal now were considered great plays in da day so not sure of your point there.

The bottom line is, a Pats defender took out the Bills QB with a now illegal helmet to helmet hit, and the Pats had no in game consequence for that due to offsetting penalties.

Belichek in the past has shown himself the master of using the rule book to his benefit, so it’s quite possible that has occurred to him.

It’s also been done to the Pats- in the Pats-Jags game a couple years ago it was pretty clear “take out Gronk” was Marrone’s plan.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Looking at the video THIS link shows it seems Allen hit the side of Jones helmet with the front of his helmet. Am I wrong?  

This is is what causes fan bases to argue with each other all the different angles showing what appears be different things.  They show us (Pats) this angle and we all go “looks like a pure accident and unintentional” meanwhile Buffalo media shows you a different angle which makes you think “That’s the dirtiest play ever he should be kicked out!” .  

Get lost. are you banned from The cheats boards.? 

Y'all spend way to much time here in Bills country.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

People disagreeing with you is not the same as “losing their minds”

A number of hits that are illegal now were considered great plays in da day so not sure of your point there.

The bottom line is, a Pats defender took out the Bills QB with a now illegal helmet to helmet hit, and the Pats had no in game consequence for that due to offsetting penalties.

Belichek in the past has shown himself the master of using the rule book to his benefit, so it’s quite possible that has occurred to him.

It’s also been done to the Pats- in the Pats-Jags game a couple years ago it was pretty clear “take out Gronk” was Marrone’s plan.

Saying everyone has to immediately be thrown out of games and suspended when some of these plays (while illegal) are hard to prevent, they happen and players need to try and prevent them but they happen, without intent.   Some of these same people are upset by all the penalties on these plays saying its ruining the game they grew up with.  Throwing everyone out for helmet to helmet is a terrible idea.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Burfict was ejected, and now suspended the rest of the season for a nasty hit on Doyle and I’m still not sold it was dirtier than the Allen hit. Doyle was trying to get up not being held up by an opponent to tee off on. 

Im not a “refs are paid to be against us” kind of person I thought the game was called fairly for most of the game. The hit on Allen was dirty though in my opinion and he should of gotten a personal foul and I would of supported ejection as well. If Hughes makes that exact same hit on Brady he would of been ejected and possibly suspended today too. 

Disagree.  Burfict was unnecessary and ejection worthy.  I would have ejected Jones as well but it was a more bang-bang play with a big QB trying to get a first down.  My other thread I favor ejections for all these head shots, but the Burfict hit was much worse.

10 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Or you could use your brain and see that he's being tackled and in the process of going down. One guy has control over where the hit is being delivered and one guy does not. 

Just now, Best Player Available said:

Get lost. are you banned from The cheats boards.? 

Y'all spend way to much time here in Bills country.

Wow! Your post added a lot to the conversation! I literally state something and instead of agreeing or telling me where you think I was wrong. You go with the “get lost” which is a prime example when someone losses an argument.. funny thing is we weren’t arguing.. I mean the video clearly shows in this angle Allen head butting the side of Jones helmet.  Jones was trying stay high keep him from getting the first and Allen (ever so slightly) lowers his head and BAM. That’s how THIS angle looks. Care to discuss? Or are you going just stick with the 7 yr old “go away I don’t like you” routine?

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Burfict has had multiple suspensions because of cheap shots. Comparing these 2 instances are apples and oranges.

Closer comparison would be murder (like -P*ts TE who choose suicide to ) and drugs (like active P*ts player) - both are illegal, both were intentional & denied but different levels of severity.  A better comparison, both would between Gronk and Jones - Gronk's player was down and speared like Burfict's victim.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Or you could use your brain and see that he's being tackled and in the process of going down. One guy has control over where the hit is being delivered and one guy does not. 

Brain?  i think he got in line for cheap shots instead. More useful to a troll.

I have seen a few people say "in the process of going down" or "wrapped up". That was a bang bang play. It all happened fast, not the sort when a guy is being held up or pushing a pile. He was running full speed and hit by one guy and then another within a second or two. Josh has proven to be a guy that can take two guys to bring him down. He needs to slide before the first contact on that play and then he is not getting hit. 

And to add - second guy doesnt hit him I bet he gets another yard or two for the first. I would be pissed if the Bills player even got the call against them but rules are rules, though until recently that is not even a penalty. Its hard to play football these days though on plays like that were you have to be carefull about how you hit a 250lb QB running full speed. You let up and you are the one getting hurt. 

13 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I have seen a few people say "in the process of going down" or "wrapped up". That was a bang bang play. It all happened fast, not the sort when a guy is being held up or pushing a pile. He was running full speed and hit by one guy and then another within a second or two. Josh has proven to be a guy that can take two guys to bring him down. He needs to slide before the first contact on that play and then he is not getting hit. 

And to add - second guy doesnt hit him I bet he gets another yard or two for the first. I would be pissed if the Bills player even got the call against them but rules are rules, though until recently that is not even a penalty. Its hard to play football these days though on plays like that were you have to be carefull about how you hit a 250lb QB running full speed. You let up and you are the one getting hurt. 

A lot of truth but tackling dummy 101 teaches defenders to wrap and hit in the torso with their shoulders.  Had #31 done that he'd have made the play and avoided scrutiny. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Doesn't matter if anyone thinks it was a cheap shot or not or what his intent was. Fact was he hit Allen in the head when he didn't have to,  Allen was wrapped up and he could have gone lower. He should have been ejected because of the hit,  not on intent that we will never know. This is what the NF is trying to eliminate.  Only way to stop this is to eject the player, wont stop until this happens

• Thank you (+1) 2

I dunno bout everyone else but I am ***** loving the feels from Pats fans after Sunday; you can tell they see the end approaching. You got a young hungry Bills team pissed about a cheapshot that cost the game and Pats trying to defend it...I love it, your time is nearly up bandwagoneers.