Bill Belichick Defends Jones Hit on Josh Allen!

jethro_tull

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If you didn’t complain about Cam Newton taking these hits, you shouldn’t complain about Allen.  That’s the issue with running qbs. They don’t get those calls as much as pocket passers. 

Cam Newton said he didn't get the calls, like it was racism.

I'm not complaining either. Rich get rich unless you take them out. I'm just saying give some back and do it to them.

Race to the bottom, ruin everything. That's how you win today.

I think it was 2008, Bills at home vs. Pats**. Bills defensive back levels Brady and sends his helmet flying. Brady today on radio interview said Belickik told him "if you want to survive in the NFL, either throw that ball away or slide". Allen should have slid to avoid big hit. There was no flag on that 2008 hit either.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Have you ever played football?  You are jacked after a big hit.  He probably didn’t see the slow motion replay to see he hit him the right way. 

Yes I have.  There are about 100 plays in a football game where someone is tackled.  You often see celebration but not taunting someone that is down and out.  Had the teammate not intervened it would likely have been worse. 

Edited by keepthefaith

Just now, Mrbojanglezs said:

I do think it was a cheap shot, but I also think that Josh needs to stop diving head first when running ASAP

If this hit doesn't start getting him to slide in the future then I don't think anything will.  

He's got to learn to protect his body (and the football).  

I appreciate Josh’s heart and, yes, it was 3rd and 8 with us down by 6, but he’s got to slide.  We can complain all we want and endlessly debate intent here (and it probably was intentional), but who would be complaining if Poyer had laid out Brady in the same fashion?  What Josh can control is whether he puts himself in position to get hurt or not.  Slide, Josh, slide. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I think it was 2008, Bills at home vs. Pats**. Bills defensive back levels Brady and sends his helmet flying. Brady today on radio interview said Belickik told him "if you want to survive in the NFL, either throw that ball away or slide". Allen should have slid to avoid big hit. There was no flag on that 2008 hit either.

Agree Josh doesn't protect himself as he should.  That hit though is exactly what the league is trying to eliminate. 

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Yes I have.  There are about 100 plays in a football game where someone is tackled.  You often see celebration but not taunting someone that is down and out.  Had the teammate not intervened it would likely have been worse. 

I don’t know man. I think most players would have celebrated.  It wasn’t intentional. It’s a man’s game.

he will get fined and hopefully Allen is ok. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Not really, his hit on Doyle wasn’t even that bad to warrant an ejection and now a 12 game suspension. It was illegal sure, but his hit warrants an ejection, and the Allen hit doesn’t? Prior issues are not part of the game day judgement calls

Different crew, different ruling on ejection, but it wouldn't surprise me if reputation had something to do with the ejection yesterday. Hard to ignore his past.  But the suspension surely comes from his previous cheap shots and related suspensions.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I don't think the hit was a cheap shot. It seemed to me he was putting his shoulder to Allen but went helmet to helmet. I think it was one of things that just happened. The penalty was the correct call because of the hit,  but no ejection necessary.

I have to agree with this view.  Allen committed to the run and knew where the first down flag was.  He was going for it and was going full steam to barrel into anyone in front of him to get there.  15 yard penalty none-the-less, but I don't think its a deliberate attempt to injure.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Different crew, different ruling on ejection, but it wouldn't surprise me if reputation had something to do with the ejection yesterday. Hard to ignore his past.  But the suspension surely comes from his previous cheap shots and related suspensions.

Refs do their homework before each game too.  It's loosely similar to how the principal gets acquainted with "the usual suspects" that get sent to the principal's office in middle school.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, devldog131 said:

My issue is with the fact that the hit was completely unnecessary. Allen was wrapped up, with his arms held to his sides, clearly on his way down to the playing surface. The player flew in full speed, head first, into Allen's brain housing group, when there was zero chance he was going to escape from the player tackling him and gain more yardage.

Allen had a good chance of getting that first down if Jones wasn't there. 

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

PR campaign, like they did for Gronk after he clubbed Tre White.

Does the Hoodie have any credibility on points like this?  He’s the master of things that skirt legality (on both sides) and are highly unsportsmanlike

Bottom line, if the NFL cares about concussions, there have to be consequences for players who don’t take reasonable action to avoid helmet to helmet

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Watch #31 after the hit as he has some attitude toward Josh only to be removed by a teammate.  Smart on the Teammate's part but #31 was savoring the moment.

Yeah this is football.  People smash each other and there is a lot of aggressiveness about it.   People are losing their minds about this.  It was a bang bang play where Allen was going for the first down and the defender was trying to prevent that.  

Bills mafia loves to celebrate the hit on Brady for 20 years ago where his helmet went flying.  While that was not illegal then it would be now.  Is that something to be celebrated with gifs everywhere? 

Allen will be out a lot if he continues to try and run defenders over. 

56 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

I agree with others in different threads who think his post-hit reaction reveals his intent.  Allen was already wrapped up by another defender and was in the process of going down.  There is no justification for the player to come in and hit Allen, let alone with a helmet to helmet hit.  

I keep hearing this argument, but as a defender you're still trying to stop the momentum of a player moving forward.  The hit prevented Allen from gaining an additional yard.  Allen's problem is that he still doesn't know what 'live to fight another day' means... The way he sacrificed his body on this run... he very irresponsibly put himself into harms way...and the game was not even close to being on the line at this point!  He also may miss the next game... hurting the Bills even more god forbid they aren't able to beat the Titans with Barkely!  He needs to get smart fast otherwise he'll play himself out of this league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Jobot said:

I keep hearing this argument, but as a defender you're still trying to stop the momentum of a player moving forward.  The hit prevented Allen from gaining an additional yard.  Allen's problem is that he still doesn't know what 'live to fight another day' means... The way he sacrificed his body on this run... he very irresponsibly put himself into harms way...and the game was not even close to being on the line at this point!  He also may miss the next game... hurting the Bills even more god forbid they aren't able to beat the Titans with Barkely!  He needs to get smart fast otherwise he'll play himself out of this league.

Yup. It’s the best and worst quality he has.  Cam Newton is a result of playing like that.  His teammates and fans love him for it but it will take its toll. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup. It’s the best and worst quality he has.  Cam Newton is a result of playing like that.  His teammates and fans love him for it but it will take its toll. 

Very true, and I mean he's a big dude, and running backs take these kind of hits ALL the time, so it does make me wonder what's the difference that rbs aren't getting concussed left and right?  They're just shiftier? lower to the ground?