Bill Belichick Defends Jones Hit on Josh Allen!

jethro_tull

I don't think the hit was a cheap shot. It seemed to me he was putting his shoulder to Allen but went helmet to helmet. I think it was one of things that just happened. The penalty was the correct call because of the hit,  but no ejection necessary.

• Like (+1) 4

Well, the refs saw it as an illegal hit and they were right.  The hit resulted in a concussed QB that had to leave the game.  Those are the facts.

Nobody will ever know Jones intent, but he went higher than he needed to go.   It would have been natural to hit him in the middle of the body, he went high.

Josh was a runner, trying to get the first down, it wasn't a late hit, it was just an illegal one.   Not surprised Bill is having trouble with whats legal or not.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Burfict was ejected, and now suspended the rest of the season for a nasty hit on Doyle and I’m still not sold it was dirtier than the Allen hit. Doyle was trying to get up not being held up by an opponent to tee off on. 

Im not a “refs are paid to be against us” kind of person I thought the game was called fairly for most of the game. The hit on Allen was dirty though in my opinion and he should of gotten a personal foul and I would of supported ejection as well. If Hughes makes that exact same hit on Brady he would of been ejected and possibly suspended today too. 

• Like (+1) 1

Allen was reckless with the ball and his body all game. He has to learn to slide. They can't bubblewrap the players out there, Allen was fighting for yards and the defender tried to stop him from getting those yards. Heads hit sometimes, hope it wasn't intentional, but if this is your biggest takeaway from the game, there's other issues that need to be addressed.

• Like (+1) 3

I watched the replay several times as I'm sure everybody else has too.  It was an intentional helmet to helmet hit.  Jones never raises his arms or attempt to lead with his shoulder or use his body in any way to engage Allen, or attempt to make any kind of legal tackle.  He leads with his helmet into Allen's helmet and lunges toward the ball carrier.  I don't see how it can be any more obvious.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Burfict was ejected, and now suspended the rest of the season for a nasty hit on Doyle and I’m still not sold it was dirtier than the Allen hit. Doyle was trying to get up not being held up by an opponent to tee off on. 

Im not a “refs are paid to be against us” kind of person I thought the game was called fairly for most of the game. The hit on Allen was dirty though in my opinion and he should of gotten a personal foul and I would of supported ejection as well. If Hughes makes that exact same hit on Brady he would of been ejected and possibly suspended today too. 

Burfict has had multiple suspensions because of cheap shots. Comparing these 2 instances are apples and oranges.

Just now, klos63 said:

Burfict has had multiple suspensions because of cheap shots. Comparing these 2 instances are apples and oranges.

Not really, his hit on Doyle wasn’t even that bad to warrant an ejection and now a 12 game suspension. It was illegal sure, but his hit warrants an ejection, and the Allen hit doesn’t? Prior issues are not part of the game day judgement calls

I agree with others in different threads who think his post-hit reaction reveals his intent.  Allen was already wrapped up by another defender and was in the process of going down.  There is no justification for the player to come in and hit Allen, let alone with a helmet to helmet hit.  

25 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Burfict's hit was in the category of this.... immediate ejection, nothing remotely close to the hit on Allen.

1 minute ago, keepthefaith said:

Watch #31 after the hit as he has some attitude toward Josh only to be removed by a teammate.  Smart on the Teammate's part but #31 was savoring the moment.

Have you ever played football?  You are jacked after a big hit.  He probably didn’t see the slow motion replay to see he hit him the right way. 

17 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Belichick continued, "for all the money that Mr. Kraft pays out to Al Riveron, I wouldn't have expected anything to come down from the league."

With bailouts and inflation, it's really our money. Typical of every rich jerk, force people to pay for their own degradation.

My issue is with the fact that the hit was completely unnecessary. Allen was wrapped up, with his arms held to his sides, clearly on his way down to the playing surface. The player flew in full speed, head first, into Allen's brain housing group, when there was zero chance he was going to escape from the player tackling him and gain more yardage.

Some of the hits that enrage me the most are the Donte Whitner/Kiko Alonso-esque flying in at the end of the play when the ballcarrier is all but on the ground. It is completely unnecessary and doesn't belong in the game.

That hit and the bad call (even after review) on the third interception very well may have changed the outcome of the game, and that is when I have a problem with poor officiating and cheap shots. If that interception gets called incomplete, as it should have, take three points off the board for the patriots*, then we probably kick the field goal to tie it at 134 instead of going for it on 4th down at the goal line. Then all we would have needed for the win on the last drive was a field goal, and I'm much more confident in Allen putting us in that position than I am Barkley (with zero reps all week and having sat 3/4 of the game).