Josh's foot work in the first qtr - Woof

Reed83HOF

I won't comment on the footwork because I don't know anything about footwork and don't really care to.  The last play when he threw to Zay… we can argue it was a bad decision, but seriously I don't think it was a bad decision.  It was just a bad throw.  Zay is open for the TD.  Gore is open for who knows what.  It was a bad throw but not necessarily a bad decision. 

This is the all-22 era problem. People are over critical of every play.  Had he thrown to Gore and Gore got 10 yards, people would be yelling that he had Zay for the TD if he anticipated.

5 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

Did you know Brady was panicked yesterday a well with hurried throws and errant throws it is what a disruptive line does to the QB.

Yes Josh had issues with setting his feet and made bad passes so did the QB on the other side.  One has 20 yrs in the NFL the other has two.

I know it's behind the paywall, but Mark Gaughan is spot on:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/30/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-analysis-mistakes-new-england-patriots-blitz/

"If Josh Allen had given up on as many plays and thrown away as many passes as Tom Brady did Sunday, the Bills might have beaten the New England Patriots.

Brady was terrible under pressure in the Patriots’ 16-10 victory at New Era Field.

The six-time Super Bowl winner had eight throwaways among his 18 incomplete passes. He was just 1 of 11 for 14 yards under pressure. However, he took no sacks and threw just one interception.

Allen, of course, made far more mistakes."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

How many franchise QBs struggle to throw a 5 yard out?

The Gore play drove me crazy. The linebacker literally falls over, Allen sees it, and still doesn't throw him the ball.

Such a boneheaded decision. 

I just think after last years success running and throwing deep he thinks thats the only game he needs. He's forgetting all teams have tape on him and now a spy. This is part of the maturation process. He doesn't understand this and is stubborn correcting his mistakes. 

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I won't comment on the footwork because I don't know anything about footwork and don't really care to.  The last play when he threw to Zay… we can argue it was a bad decision, but seriously I don't think it was a bad decision.  It was just a bad throw.  Zay is open for the TD.  Gore is open for who knows what.  It was a bad throw but not necessarily a bad decision. 

This is the all-22 era problem. People are over critical of every play.  Had he thrown to Gore and Gore got 10 yards, people would be yelling that he had Zay for the TD if he anticipated.

This isn’t an all-22 perspective.  It’s lower bowl stadium visitors sideline view.  Gore was, to quote John Murphy,  wide-a** open b/c his man fell down at the top of his route open.  Allen HAS to see that, and it would have been an easy, enormous gain.  

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I know it's behind the paywall, but Mark Gaughan is spot on:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/30/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-analysis-mistakes-new-england-patriots-blitz/

"If Josh Allen had given up on as many plays and thrown away as many passes as Tom Brady did Sunday, the Bills might have beaten the New England Patriots.

Brady was terrible under pressure in the Patriots’ 16-10 victory at New Era Field.

The six-time Super Bowl winner had eight throwaways among his 18 incomplete passes. He was just 1 of 11 for 14 yards under pressure. However, he took no sacks and threw just one interception.

Allen, of course, made far more mistakes."

exactly hope Josh learns this is what needs to happen he just wanted so badly to make that wow play and this also caused him to overlook the shorter passes imo

The young buck trying to hard when all he had to do was do the small things.  

22 minutes ago, billspro said:

He has to see that there. If he completes that we likely get a TD on the drive.

It was a really bad throw. I don’t think Brown had a shot at it when I watched the replay. If Barkley hit him though he was gone. 

Thanks.  I knew it was low, but was focused more on the huge amount of green and blue paint in front of Brown.  That one hurt.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

This isn’t an all-22 perspective.  It’s lower bowl stadium visitors sideline view.  Gore was, to quote John Murphy,  wide-a** open b/c his man fell down at the top of his route open.  Allen HAS to see that, and it would have been an easy, enormous gain.  

I know its not an all-22 perspective.  I said all-22 era.  If he threw a better ball and Zay could actually catch a ball then it's a TD and noone even looks at who else was open. Zay was open.  Do you want to argue he wasn't?  The TD was there to be made.  Do you want to argue it wasn't?

Edited by Scott7975

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I know its not an all-22 perspective.  I said all-22 era.  If he threw a better ball and Zay could actually catch a ball then it's a TD and noone even looks at who else was open. Zay was open.  Do you want to argue he wasn't?  The TD was there to be made.  Do you want to argue it wasn't?

Its a much lower percentage throw that, if IIRC, was disrupted by pressure.  Should have taken the easy money all day long in that circumstance.  I stand by what I said. We agree to disagree on this one.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TPS said:

He looked really nervy in the first drive or two.  He didn't settle down until he hit a quick one up the middle to Beasely 

The folks I watch the game with all agreed that McD or Daboll need to give Josh a valium about an hour before game time.     

And if the NFL eventually takes pot off the banned substance list, Josh should include a fatty in his pre-game ritual...

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The folks I watch the game with all agreed that McD or Daboll need to give Josh a valium about an hour before game time.     

And if the NFL eventually takes pot off the banned substance list, Josh should include a fatty in his pre-game ritual...

If you think about it, it was the first big game of his career thus far; and regardless what everyone has said - the players know we haven't beat NE at home in 8 years. Josh put a lot of pressure on himself. He should be able to learn from this and it will help him come playoff time

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

How many franchise QBs struggle to throw a 5 yard out?

The Gore play drove me crazy. The linebacker literally falls over, Allen sees it, and still doesn't throw him the ball.

Such a boneheaded decision. 

I will not fault him for the decision to throw the ball to a WR who beat the CB deep.  I will fault him for the godawful base from which he made that throw.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

If you think about it, it was the game of his career thus far; and regardless what everyone has said - the players know we haven't beat NE at home in 8 years. Josh put a lot of pressure on himself. He should be able to learn from this and it will help him come playoff time

To me, he always seems too amped up at the start of games.   

He's his own worst enemy too many times early in the game.   He said last week that he'd absolutely, positively, definitely learned his lesson--no more hero ball--and then just seemed to forget that when he was flushed out of the pocket... 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

If you think about it, it was the game of his career thus far; and regardless what everyone has said - the players know we haven't beat NE at home in 8 years. Josh put a lot of pressure on himself. He should be able to learn from this and it will help him come playoff time

That IS the issue...should be able to learn from this.  For him to take the step to being a top-tier QB, he has to learn to control himself.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

To me, he always seems too amped up at the start of games.   

He's his own worst enemy too many times early in the game.   He said last week that he'd absolutely, positively, definitely learned his lesson--no more hero ball--and then just seemed to forget that when he was flushed out of the pocket... 

You start to get a bit concerned when he reverts back, hence Daboll ripping him. IMO, this honestly is going to be what defines his career, can he overcome this or not? He is honestly fine with everything else so far...

The first one the right tackle gets pushed back not allowing him to turn. The second one was a poor pass. The third it looked like he had his guy but had to readjust because of pressure and ended up throwing a floater. Also on the third one Gore was open but Allen had already made his decision and never seen him in my opinion. I know a lot of people are saying he looked at him but I don’t see that on my phone. He still should no of thrown it though. Chances are he takes a sack if he tries to find another option 

Edited by BananaB

4 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Did you know Brady was panicked yesterday a well with hurried throws and errant throws it is what a disruptive line does to the QB.

Yes Josh had issues with setting his feet and made bad passes so did the QB on the other side.  One has 20 yrs in the NFL the other has two.

Look not trying to make excuses but that rush by the pats was strong as was the Bills and affected the QB's

Funny how people pissing on Allen forget how bad Brady looked yesterday. 

I'm not justifying Allen's performance...just pointing out that, at this point in the season, two of the very best defenses were on the field yesterday and both quarterbacks...BOTH OF THEM...had crappy games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

You start to get a bit concerned when he reverts back, hence Daboll ripping him. IMO, this honestly is going to be what defines his career, can he overcome this or not? He is honestly fine with everything else so far...

I qualify myself as a homer before writing this, but I have confidence he can overcome it if for no other reason he was able to beat the Jets after an even worse first half than he had yesterday.

It's just not going to happen overnight. I know there are a lot of posters here who hated the pick, and sit in their grandma's basement waiting for a bad game so they can remind everyone why they hated the pick, but, y'know, the thinking fan knows this is going to take time.