Week 5: Bills (+2.5) at Titans

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

The Pats blitzed on 48.5% of Josh's snaps yesterday--the highest percentage of any team the Bills have faced so far.   

The percentage is rising from week to week as teams see how effective it is...

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/30/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-analysis-mistakes-new-england-patriots-blitz/

Which would be easy to counter if we had play making RB's.  But with Singleterry out we do not.  This IMO is the issue not so much that Allen is rattled by the blitz. 

And when was the last time this team executed a decent screen pass?  That's another excellent way to neutralize the blitz. 

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the optimistic fan in me thinks barkley and Beasley could be sort of a nasty combo.

I agree.  Especially with no tape on them.

Give Barkley a week of prep and we can win this game if 3 things happen:

*  the D plays very good

*  the Special Teams play well and don't give up a TD

*  the offense doesn't turn the ball over a lot and plays efficiently.

Nothing wrong with winning a game 13 - 10.

Edited by CincyBillsFan

I haven't read threw this whole thread so pardon me if someone else has already brought this up but there may be a hidden advantage in having Barkley go this week.

Now I'm a huge Allen backer and if he can he should play next week.  But isn't the TN coach part of Belichicks defensive coaching tree?  Yesterday another member of Belichick's coaching tree, Matt Patricia of Detroit, held Mahomes to an 81 passer rating and NO TD throws.  Sure they still lost the game but clearly Detroit had an excellent defensive game plan to frustrate Mahomes.  And who do you think shared this plan with Patricia? 

If Allen plays Sunday, Debold & McDermitt better assume that Belichick passed on his defensive scheme for containing Allen to TN.  If Barkley plays that plan goes out the window as they have completely different QB styles.

8 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Spirogyra on the call for the first time

If we don't ever hear Fouts again, my prayers will have been answered....

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think the D has a letdown game and the offense flounders with Barkley under center. The Promising 3-0 start quickly becomes 3-2 and the Bills face an uphill slog to stay in WC contention . Amazing how fast things can change. If Allen doesn’t get injured yesterday, I’d feel completely different but not right now. 

That would be a big bummer...but not going to happen. The stadium will be half Bills fans and any defensive grind it out game we will win. Mariota is due for 2-3 picks this week. 

Kind of strange that these pivotal games always seem to road games against the AFCC. I'm not a big believer in placing much import of any given game over another, but this one is slightly more important. AFC team that may be competition for a WC spot. Coming off a deflating loss to the Pats. We'll see what kind of resilience they have as a group. 

42 minutes ago, Locomark said:

That would be a big bummer...but not going to happen. The stadium will be half Bills fans and any defensive grind it out game we will win. Mariota is due for 2-3 picks this week. 

Hey, I hope you’re right. I want my gut feeling to be absolutely wrong in this case. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I haven't read threw this whole thread so pardon me if someone else has already brought this up but there may be a hidden advantage in having Barkley go this week.

Now I'm a huge Allen backer and if he can he should play next week.  But isn't the TN coach part of Belichicks defensive coaching tree?  Yesterday another member of Belichick's coaching tree, Matt Patricia of Detroit, held Mahomes to an 81 passer rating and NO TD throws.  Sure they still lost the game but clearly Detroit had an excellent defensive game plan to frustrate Mahomes.  And who do you think shared this plan with Patricia? 

If Allen plays Sunday, Debold & McDermitt better assume that Belichick passed on his defensive scheme for containing Allen to TN.  If Barkley plays that plan goes out the window as they have completely different QB styles.

I think much of it will be the same regardless of the QB. Neither has a ton of experience. They won’t have to worry about Barkley hurting them outside the pocket or extending plays. The Bills OL had problems in pass pro, and TEN will throw a lot of the stuff that worked for NE at them. 

It's probably been mentioned somewhere above, but this is going to be an old school battle.....Titans are a very physical team but the Bills have the horses to respond....Whether it's JA or Barkley, I don't think we need something " special " for that game....just make ball security a top priority and we will win this game...on the road too ! 

16 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Kind of strange that these pivotal games always seem to road games against the AFCC. I'm not a big believer in placing much import of any given game over another, but this one is slightly more important. AFC team that may be competition for a WC spot. Coming off a deflating loss to the Pats. We'll see what kind of resilience they have as a group. 

Resilience is right. The way this team bounces back from a tough loss will be very telling. Hopefully the young nucleus will understand that they have to maintain the same level of intensity regardless of their opponent. Do not dwell on the loss and focus on all of the things they did correctly. Playing the Pats is an anomoly anyway.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Good because that means Daboll and Co. will have seen the same defense two weeks in a row, but TN doesn’t have the same personnel executing it, especially in the secondary. Bring it on.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, corta765 said:

The offense cracks were shown, Titans D is legit, and on the road as it is a disadvantage.

Right now Titans are a better team given Allen’s performance yesterday. Not much better but Bills are up against it

I would take Allen over Mariota any day of the week and twice on Sundays

You know there is a such thing as bouncing back right

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would take Allen over Mariota any day of the week and twice on Sundays

You know there is a such thing as bouncing back right

Nope! You’re wrong there! One bad (essentially) rookie week and the career is over! Just ask Elway, Aikman and Peyton.......oh, wait? 

Never mind......

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't have a problem sitting Allen this week, concussion or not. To my eye, he's regressed to bad habits, and now Belichick gave the rest of the league the blueprint on how to neutralize him.

Just like last year, where he had a chance to sit and learn and come out better for it, he needs a refresher. Let Barkley play the Titans. Give them a little curve ball. Now you have 3 weeks with the bye for Allen to get his game back, and maybe also work on how to respond to the next team to try that same defense on him.

I don't care what the media will say about "benching" him. He needs a break. Even before Belichick did his voodoo to him, Josh had the yips on those two early throws. The Pats were in his head. McDermott has to make sure this doesn't spiral downward.

Absent injury and not clearing the protocol, I don’t see any way you sit your starting QB that got you to 3-0. What Belichick did to Josh is what he does to every young QB. Not even sure how much Belichick even did to him honestly. The errors were all forced, inpatient hero ball crap. I feel like the cheats played him the same way last year. Take away the escape runs and make him throw. Sure, Josh can learn, and I wouldn’t have been against pulling him for a series to tell him to cut the ish, but he needs to play. Josh needs to learn, and I don’t see how sitting on the bench helps at this point. Love him or hate him, we go as far as he takes us this year. Same as it’s always been. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1