1st quarter of the season is over...thoughts

Dopey

A lot of people break the season down into quarters. I like that idea, so taking it 4 games at a time, I feel really good about a 3-1 record. Beside the punting issues, the only concern is turnovers at a critical position(QB). Even so, I am not overly concerned and feel this will work itself out. Josh has played 16 games in his career, so I'm hopeful there will be progress. Actually, I feel there will be progress. We have a new o-line, new receivers and new tight ends. I always thought it would take time for the offense to gel. 

The next 4 games are Tenn. on the road and then 3 home games vs. the Dolphins, Eagles and Skins. If there was a time where we might be able to absorb a game or two missed by Allen, this stretch is it. If we limit our turnovers, we should be able to go 3-1 or even 4-0 in the next 4 games. A 6-2 record after 8 games played would be sweet. Then on to the 3rd quarter of the season with an offense that has played together enough to gel, an awesome defense doing great things and maybe a new punter. I'll try to come back to this post after game 8.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm happy where we are right now.  The defense is dominant.  Allen has had ups and downs as I expected he would as a young second year QB.  I like his moxie in brining the team back in fourth quarter drives, I don't like seeing him makes the same type of mistakes each game - he has to show he's learning from past errors soon.  I think the O line play has been spotty, but anticipate improvement as the season progresses.  Special teams also are spotty.

I anticipate a playoff berth based on what I've seen so far.

• Like (+1) 2

I have been away from all forms of communication since the beginning of the season and just able to read posts for the first time today. So, judging by what I see on this board, I am assuming the Bills are 0-4 and Josh Allen is a bust. Is that correct?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FiftyPercent said:

Defense hasn't been the issue with this team.

Offense hasn't either until yesterday. I don't see the equivalent of the Pats* defense coming up over the next four games

And, I am not convinced, as bad as he played in the first half yesterday, that Allen wouldn't have led them to a win if he hadn't been hurt

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

So why are you discounting its impact this coming week against a pretty weak QB?

Because the Bills offense likes to give away the ball.  Defense can't and won't be able to keep bailing out the offense, they will eventually wear down and suffer injuries etc.

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

mariota vs. this defense? I'll take my chances.

Same thing with Wentz if I'm honest.

The Tennessee and Philadelphia games are absolutely winnable games, but they're certainly lose-able too. I'll be honest and say that I'm not all confident in this week's game, especially if Allen is out.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, FiftyPercent said:

They are one game better than I expected.  Next 4 games I have them 2-2.

So you had them at 2-2 after the first quarter and you have them 2-2 in the second quarter of the season. With the second half schedule looking the way it does, did you have them with a losing record this year? At Tenn. and home 3 straight against Miami, Philly and the Washington, I think they'll be either 6-2 or 7-1 at the halfway point.