Why the Zay Hate?

Virgil

On 9/30/2019 at 9:36 AM, CuddyDark said:

Bills fans always pick on guy to target their anger and it's Zay for now. If I'm Zay I play the season out and get to a team with a pocket QB like Robert Woods and become a very good number 2 receiver.

Zay isn't half the WR Woods is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Zay Jones is Josh Reed without the talent. But at least Reed was the third option in offenses that featured Eric Moulds and Peerless Price. Jones is the third option behind John Brown and Cole Beasley?!!! If you're to find out as to whether or not Allen is the answer at the QB position, he needs talented skill players surrounding him. This WR crew leaves a whole hell of a lot to be desired- and Jones is the least gifted of the entire unit. But at least he blocks well....

1 hour ago, RussellDopeland said:

Zay Jones is Josh Reed without the talent. But at least Reed was the third option in offenses that featured Eric Moulds and Peerless Price. Jones is the third option behind John Brown and Cole Beasley?!!! If you're to find out as to whether or not Allen is the answer at the QB position, he needs talented skill players surrounding him. This WR crew leaves a whole hell of a lot to be desired- and Jones is the least gifted of the entire unit. But at least he blocks well....

Most great QBs have less talented WR. Every time some fan  says it's the WR, its always a team with a poor Star QB. That is a QB who should be a star but for some reason he's not. Fans want to baby him so they blame the WRs. Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Tom Brady types never complain about the WRs.

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

Lets not act like these are all drops or something.  Allen has missed him by a mile quite a few times.

I agree with this.  Like I said, lets see what happens with Barkley in there. 

Cole Beasley came from Dallas with a 74.7 catch percentage with was best for their WRs. In Buffalo he is at 66.7%.

Still, 38.9 for Zay is bad at less then half his targets. Last year with him being the main target he still barely caught more then half his targets. Meanwhile McCoy was 73.9

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's me, Crusher of Dreams.  Perhaps I should change my screen name?

Just for the record it was armadillos not alligators.  So there.  

On 10/1/2019 at 10:30 PM, Rob's House said:

Somewhat OT, but worth noting: Most of the fan base thought Woods was a JAG when he was here.

That is absolutely not true. I'll admit I thought Woods was overpaid by LA, and I was wrong, but I always thought he was very good. Better than Watkins for sure. We weren't stuck trying to make excuses for him for 3 years.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That is absolutely not true. I'll admit I thought Woods was overpaid by LA, and I was wrong, but I always thought he was very good. Better than Watkins for sure. We weren't stuck trying to make excuses for him for 3 years.

It’s incredible Sammy is only 26 years old. Feel

like he’s been in the league 10 years now.

Same with woods for that matter. He’s only 27.  Crazy. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know what board you were reading, but people were constantly complaining that he wasn't a competent #2 and we needed to upgrade from him. It wasn't everyone, but it was a very popular position at the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

I don't know what board you were reading, but people were constantly complaining that he wasn't a competent #2 and we needed to upgrade from him. It wasn't everyone, but it was a very popular position at the time.

This can’t be stated better - there was a LARGE contingent of posters that constantly dogged Woods, for everything. Of course nowadays the haters have developed some convenient selective amnesia. 

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

I guess I don't remember that at all. I think that was still the BBMB days for me, maybe here people didn't like him?

But regardless there is no comparison between Woods's first 3 years and Zay's first 3 years. Woods made a bunch of tough catches and was always dependable. Zay has like one tough catch that I can remember in his entire career here (TD against the Dolphins last year that Allen threw inaccurately). He sometimes shows basic competence but he isn't dependable and he doesn't make plays happen. To be a top 3 WR you occasionally need to make something out of nothing. He has done that one time that I can remember. Far more often than that he misses the easy plays. I think Zay is a decent #4 and I don't think he'll ever grow beyond that. I expect him to bounce around the league for most of his career.

Compare him with Josh Allen. Allen misses too many easy plays at this point in his career but he also makes several incredible plays happen all on his own in every game. He shows potential to be a legitimate franchise QB. Zay has never shown the potential to be anything but a depth WR.

Edited by HappyDays

On 9/30/2019 at 10:33 PM, Virgil said:

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

Basically it comes largely as an urge to throw as much blame as humanly possible away from Josh Allen. People think that if he's not to blame maybe it'll somehow make him become a franchise QB.

Scapegoating satisfies many deep human needs and Zay has been scapegoated since very early on, for good reason that first year, not quite so much afterwards.

It also has to do with Zay's draft spot.

Nor were people thrilled about the hotel window incident or missing most of two training camps with injury.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Basically it comes largely as an urge to throw as much blame as humanly possible away from Josh Allen. People think that if he's not to blame maybe it'll somehow make him become a franchise QB.

I'm not just talking about this past game. His whole career has been mediocre. Even accounting for the QBs he's had, he just doesn't contribute anything special on the field. When Barkley came in he had a critical drop that should have been a 1st down. You can live with an occasional drop if he offers something else, but instead he's just a fairly competent receiver that misses too many easy plays. It is also fair to say Allen missed him a few times against the Patriots. And Allen, by far, was the reason our offense stalled on Sunday. But that doesn't let Zay off the hook for 3 seasons of below average play.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Sammy Watkins in a nutshell:

I personally do not think you can fault a guy when in games other players on his team are catching 30-50-80 yard touchdowns and your team is consistently scoring. It does not, in any way, mean you are not doing your job or disappearing. The decoy idea is a big laugh around here but I defy anyone to watch the Bills, Rams, or Cheifs games in total in All-22 and argue that safeties are not almost always aware of Watkins and defenses go out of their way to stop him.